download videos youtube in firefox

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
tompoe
Level 1
Level 1

download videos youtube in firefox

Post by tompoe » Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:48 pm

I hit the downloadhelper icon, and am directed to message to upgrade. I download upgrade to my computer, restart firefox and get the same message. How do I use downloadhelper in Firefox?

phd21
Level 16
Level 16

Re: download videos youtube in firefox

Post by phd21 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:27 pm

Hi tompoe,

Browser add-ons are hit and miss when it comes to downloading videos from websites like YouTube. You have to try various browser video download add-on extensions to see what will work now and what does not.

There are however other applications that can download website videos like "YouTube-DL" and its related desktop application "YouTube-dlg", 4K video downloader, etc... where you right click a video you are interested in, and copy its "url", or copy the web address link, and paste that into one of these, and click download.

YouTube-DLG - A GUI App for YouTube-DL Video Downloader
https://www.fossmint.com/youtube-dlg-gu ... ownloader/

4K Video Downloader | Free Video Downloader for PС, macOS and Linux | 4K Download
https://www.4kdownload.com/products/pro ... downloader

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint KDE 17.3 & 18.3, 64-bit Awesome OS, Ancient Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram,256gb SDD, Video: Intel 4 Graphics, DVD Lightscribe. Why I use KDE?:https://opensource.com/life/15/4/9-reasons-to-use-kde

jimallyn
Level 18
Level 18

Post by jimallyn » Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:28 pm

I have tried several different video downloader add-ons in my browser, and didn't care for any of them. So I always wind up using youtube-dl again. I don't use the GUI interface for it, youtube-dlg, I just use youtube-dl from the commandline.

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

Scupper
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Scupper » Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:23 pm

tompoe,
try easy youtube video downloader by Dishita....you can find it as a firefox add on. It seems to be the best at the moment, but as phd21 said they can be a bit hit and miss.

AZgl1500
Level 7
Level 7

Post by AZgl1500 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:58 pm

jimallyn wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:28 pm
I have tried several different video downloader add-ons in my browser, and didn't care for any of them. So I always wind up using youtube-dl again. I don't use the GUI interface for it, youtube-dlg, I just use youtube-dl from the commandline.
okay,
so just where does the video download to????

I can't find it anywhere.

Nevermind, I finally located it the /home directory

phd21
Level 16
Level 16

Post by phd21 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:49 pm

Hi AZgl1500,

I use the desktop YouTube-DLG for convenience sake, and you can tell both YouTube-DL and YouTube-DLG where to save the files. You can also tell it save the video(s) and their audio tracks creating a video file and an audio file, which is handy for music videos.

Hope this helps ...
YouTube-DLG1.jpg
YouTube-DLG Options.
Phd21: Mint KDE 17.3 & 18.3, 64-bit Awesome OS, Ancient Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram,256gb SDD, Video: Intel 4 Graphics, DVD Lightscribe. Why I use KDE?:https://opensource.com/life/15/4/9-reasons-to-use-kde

AZgl1500
Level 7
Level 7

Post by AZgl1500 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:39 am

phd21 wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:49 pm
Hi AZgl1500,

I use the desktop YouTube-DLG for convenience sake, and you can tell both YouTube-DL and YouTube-DLG where to save the files. You can also tell it save the video(s) and their audio tracks creating a video file and an audio file, which is handy for music videos.

Hope this helps ...
Yes,
I would prefer the GUI, I don't like having to patch the command line commands....
I have a very poor memory as a result of bad vehicle crash in 2008, see my avatar.

I have the download extracted, but that is as far as I got. I don't know how to "install it"

Attachments
Now What.png
Now What.png (41.85 KiB) Viewed 709 times

administrollaattori
Level 13
Level 13

Post by administrollaattori » Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:43 am

jimallyn wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:28 pm
I have made a simply script for youtube-dl, which allows download videos simply copy and paste the address and script does the job. zenity, xsel and xterm packages must be installed.

The script:

Code: Select all

#!/bin/bash
video=$(xsel --clipboard)
inputStr=$(zenity --entry --title="YouTube downloader" --text="Put video's address here:")
zenity --info --text="Video address was = $inputStr"
xterm -e youtube-dl $video && zenity --info --text "Video downloaded!" && xdg-open $PWD
exit 0
adress.png
adress.png (19.8 KiB) Viewed 707 times
downloading.png
downloaded.png
downloaded.png (17.19 KiB) Viewed 707 times

AZgl1500
Level 7
Level 7

Post by AZgl1500 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:52 am

administrollaattori wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:43 am

I have made a simply script for youtube-dl, which allows download videos simply copy and paste the address and script does the job. zenity, xsel and xterm packages must be installed.

The script:

#!/bin/bash
inputStr=$(zenity --entry --title="YouTube downloader" --text="Put video's address here:")
xterm -e youtube-dl $video && zenity --info --text "Video downloaded!" && xdg-open $PWD
exit 0
adress.png

the script ran just fine, but it did not tell me "where it downloaded to?"
it is not in /home
nor in /...../videos

administrollaattori
Level 13
Level 13

Post by administrollaattori » Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:00 am

AZgl1500 wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:52 am
administrollaattori wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:43 am

The script:

#!/bin/bash
exit 0
adress.png

the script ran just fine, but it did not tell me "where it downloaded to?"
it is not in /home
nor in /...../videos
It goes $PWD as the same directory, where the script was lauched. You can set the path changing
xdg-open $HOME/Videos for example.

#!/bin/bash
cd $HOME/Videos && xterm -e youtube-dl $video && zenity --info --text "Video downloaded!" && xdg-open $HOME/Videos
exit 0
Last edited by administrollaattori on Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:42 am, edited 2 times in total.

AZgl1500
Level 7
Level 7

Post by AZgl1500 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:18 am

Thank you, I am a real newbie on coding....

lsemmens
Level 5
Level 5

Post by lsemmens » Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:56 am

I use an add on for Firefox YouTube Video and Audio Downloader (Dev Edt.) which works well for me.
Kernel: 4.15.0-24-generic x86_64 bits: 64
Desktop: Cinnamon 3.8.7
Distro: Linux Mint 19 Tara

Laptop T4500 Dualcore 3Gb RAM
Out of my mind - please leave a message

phd21
Level 16
Level 16

Post by phd21 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:31 pm

Hi AZgl1500,

1.) For installing and updating YouTube-DL and its Desktop GUI application YouTube-DLG, use the PPA from the link I provided which also keeps these apps updated; they have frequent updates.

To install this using the PPA method, open a console terminal, type in, or copy & paste, each line below one by one:
Click "Select All" above command, right-click the highlighted command, select Copy (or Ctrl+Insert), click in the console terminal window, and right click paste (or Shift+Insert), repeat for each command.

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:nilarimogard/webupd8

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install youtube-dl youtube-dlg

2.) The excellent "Slimjet" browser has a YouTube video downloader built-in among many other superb features, and one of the fastest turbo downloaders for any type of download. Sometimes some YouTube videos would not download, not sure why?

3.) Here is another option. I use more than one browser. In one of my many emails, I received information on the "Xtreme Download Manager" (XDM) which installs as a Linux application and then you add their XDM 2018 browser add-ons to connect with it. This works really well and can also download YouTube videos and other website videos. If the you do not see a download option, then click XDM in your taskbar, while on the webpage in whatever browser, right-click the video and copy its URL, click "XDM" File -> Download Video -> Find -> Download; there are various download options as well. I noticed that with browser download add-ons when selecting a group of videos in YouTube, like "Best music videos of 2018", that when I right-click a video and copy its URL address, that it sometimes does not work, yet if I go search for a specific video and click that and it starts playing, then I can right-click the video to copy the URL address, and the download add-ons or XDM works? YouTube-DL and YouTube-DLG can easily download entire playlists.

You Can Now Install Xtreme Download Manager In Any Linux Distribution Easily - NoobsLab
http://www.noobslab.com/2018/02/you-can ... nload.html

Hope this helps ...
XDG_1.jpg
Xtreme Download Manager
XDG_2.jpg
Xtreme Download Manager
XDG_3.jpg
Xtreme Download Manager
Last edited by phd21 on Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:51 pm, edited 4 times in total.

minituxx
Level 2
Level 2

Post by minituxx » Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:54 pm

JohnGaller
Level 1
Level 1

Post by JohnGaller » Fri May 18, 2018 8:23 am

Hello, you can also try Tube Geter and download playlist from Youtube.
Works great and its easy to use tool.
Follow easy steps to download:
Step-1) Go to TubeGeter – download the entire playlists from YouTube in seconds.
Step-2) Download and install the software.
Step-3) Then just copy the link from your browser and click ‘Paste Link’ in the application.

Flemur
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Flemur » Fri May 18, 2018 10:32 am

tompoe wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:48 pm
I hit the downloadhelper icon, and am directed to message to upgrade. I download upgrade to my computer, restart firefox and get the same message. How do I use downloadhelper in Firefox?
Heh - I had something similar going on and blocked their site:

uMatrix has prevented the following page from loading:
https://www.downloadhelper.net/install
A solution is to go to
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... oadhelper/
and install the current version.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
Mint 18.3 Xfce/fluxbox/pulse-less
Xubuntu 17.10/fluxbox/pulse-less

TursonX
Level 2
Level 2

Post by TursonX » Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:07 pm

The lonely installation to youtube-dl did not work to me (ie, without using any third party PPA).
Did someone work that?: https://www.tecmint.com/install-youtube ... load-tool/

sudo curl https://yt-dl.org/latest/youtube-dl -o /usr/local/bin/youtube-dl
OR
sudo wget https://yt-dl.org/downloads/latest/youtube-dl -O /usr/local/bin/youtube-dl
sudo chmod a+rx /usr/local/bin/youtube-dl
youtube-dl https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRYvuS9OxdA
:?
Edited: youtube-dl needs these package dependences: libav-tools libavdevice53 libavfilter3 libavresample1 libbs2b0 libguess1
libmowgli-2-0 libquvi-scripts libquvi7 libsdl2-2.0-0 libva-glx1 libvdpau1
mpv rtmpdump

youtube-dl from ppa:nilarimogard/webupd8 is not installed in /usr/local/bin/

Please, How make that youtube-dl list audio mp3 formats?
Works to me converting downloaded .m4a audio to .mp3 using:
avconv -i nameofaudio.m4a newnameofaudio.mp3 (It's a slow process).
Last edited by TursonX on Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:31 pm, edited 6 times in total.
LM 17.3 Mate x64 kernel 3.13.0-151 » MSI 760GM-P34 (AMD am3) » video onboard Ati Radeon HD 3000 » Adata Ram 2GB ddr3 » HDD WD Sata II

Topken
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Topken » Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:02 pm

Just a heads u to people JDownloader 2 works perfectly for me for downloading Yotuube videos.

TursonX
Level 2
Level 2

Post by TursonX » Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:43 pm

Testing 'youtube-dl', some download options display:
"WARNING: Your copy of avconv is outdated and unable to properly mux separate video and audio files, youtube-dl will download single file media. Update avconv to version 10-0 or newer to fix this."
Or
"WARNING: Your copy of avconv is outdated, update avconv to version 10-0 or newer if you encounter any errors."

Using 'ppa:nilarimogard/webupd8'.

I tried use 'avconv' command to increase (gain or normalize) the volume of audio downloaded, but I could not.
LM 17.3 Mate x64 kernel 3.13.0-151 » MSI 760GM-P34 (AMD am3) » video onboard Ati Radeon HD 3000 » Adata Ram 2GB ddr3 » HDD WD Sata II

Hoser Rob
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Hoser Rob » Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:09 am

You just aren't going to find a streaming downloader that's always going to work with sites like youtube. They don't like people downloading their streaming content so they're constantly changing the protocols.

I don't use browser based streaming downloaders but youtube-dl is good. But I usually use clipgrab, which has always worked for me. I don't usually install software from ppa sources but for something like this it's appropriate. Copy/paste these lines into the terminal to install:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:clipgrab-team/ppa

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install clipgrab

Return to “Newbie Questions”