download problem [SOLVED]

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Re: download problem

Post by Cosmo. »

We have seen this corruption in a number of cases, but we were never able to find the reason, why it happened. So I can only answer with "Unknown mystery". The difficulty is, that there a mostly big delay between the time, when the technical problem happens, and the time, when the user (or the helpers) find it. If you are able to tell, what exactly you did before the file got corrupted, we could try to reproduce it.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Re: download problem

Post by Flemur »

Firefox ("quantum") doesn't use the values in .config/user-dirs.dirs (all of mine are set to $HOME in that file, and FF downloads to a "data" partition), at least if you set the download location in FF.

Enter as a "URL" "about:preferences" (or go to Preferences in the menu, if you can find it!)
then search for "down" then make it look like:
firefox.jpg
When that doesn't work, delete old junk you don't need (this is harmless, won't affect your FF profile or bookmarks, etc).

Code: Select all

rm -r ~/.cache/mozilla
When that doesn't work, look for files root might own:

Code: Select all

find $HOME ! -user $USER
When none of those things work, try running FF with a new and empty profile and/or in "safe mode".
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Re: download problem [SOLVED]

Post by smurphos »

chazb wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:53 pm So the last question is: What could cause the word "downloads" to be erased from the, user-dirs.dirs file.
Hi chazb,

For me I've needed to correct entries in that file if I've been messing around with the home directory structure and renamed or deleted any of the default entries, even if I then corrected whatever change I made.

BTW on reviewing the thread is the actual folder name in your home 'Download' or 'Downloads' - the latter is the default. You can rename it but then the entry in the user-dirs.dir needs to match the actual name of the folder.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
chazb
Level 5
Level 5

Re: download problem [SOLVED]

Post by chazb »

I did do a small download from Rivet King and it did goto the Downloads Folder, solving this, problem. And started another thread dealing with the Main Menu accessing Downloads from the main menu.

Return to “Beginner Questions”