Adding public keys to the repositories in Mint

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jlbr

Adding public keys to the repositories in Mint

Post by jlbr »

Hello,
I'm sorry to post this question again. I posted it before but got absolutely no replies. I know how to add repositories to the Software Sources list in Mint now. However, I'm still stuck as to how to add the public keys.

Can anybody help me out on this one, point me towards a thread or something? I was only able to find one thread about it and it was confusing since the posters were arguing between them about something not even related to the subject:

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... &sk=t&sd=a

Thanks for any help.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
spet

Re: Adding public keys to the repositories in Mint

Post by spet »

If you have a GPG key in form of a file (say key.gpg) you can add it using

Code: Select all

sudo apt-key add key.gpg
If you see an error message when doing apt-get update it will contain a key id (say 60D11217247D1CFF). Then add it using

Code: Select all

KEY=60D11217247D1CFF gpg --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-key $KEY && gpg --export --armor $KEY | sudo apt-key add - && sudo apt-get update
Remember that this only works for repos signed with keys uploaded to Ubuntu's keyserver, which includes all launchpad PPAs. If the key is located on another keyserver, change accordingly.

Return to “Beginner Questions”