update manager - do's and dont's?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Gorgar
Level 1
Level 1

update manager - do's and dont's?

Post by Gorgar »

Dear community,

after a fresh install of LM 18.3 i found a lot of updates in the update manager.

I thought, levels 1,2,3 were safe to trust.
But finding "chromium extensions" (a browser i don't use - do i?) made me wonder.

I would like to have a lean OS and -as a noob- can't evaluate every perl, curl, X, ssh, Qt update there is.
Too much information!

Call me lazy or ignorant, but i wanted an OS to use, not to study it.
I am not a robot.
Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Re: update manager - do's and dont's?

Post by Cosmo. »

The very most safe way is to use TimeShift. If you use it, you can revert in case of any problem to a previous state of the system without touching your user files. It doesn't matter, if the problem comes from an update or is done by any user mistake.

Besides that: lacing level 1 to 3 into the same level of risk is not true. This was - in some kind - true until LM 18.2, but the level system has been changed in LM 18.3. Open the help file of the update manager to learn more about it.
Hoser Rob
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Hoser Rob »

Gorgar wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:08 am
... would like to have a lean OS and -as a noob- can't evaluate every perl, curl, X, ssh, Qt update there is.
Too much information!...
People who've been using Linux for years can't seem to keep track of it all either. I sure as hell can't. I get updates listed all the time for programs whose name I don't recognize at all. And I keep the update manager set to not select high level updates myself. IMO the Mint update policy is the best reason to use Mint.

Deleting things to make your system leaner is difficult because of alll the program dependency libraries. It's different from WIndows, which uses enormous monolithic system program files. Linux is much less integrated and has a ton of smaller system files. If you really, really want a minimal Ubuntu based system I think the best way would be to install the Ubuntu minimal install iso and then add what you need later.
smurphos
Level 17
Level 17

Post by smurphos »

The chromium updates are part of the codec package not the main browser. They should be kept up to date.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
Termy
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Termy »

The main reason I wrote and still maintain this interactive de-bloater simplify-ubuntu is to make tasks like that easier, Hoser Rob, although common sense and at least a basic understanding is advised, non-the-less.

OP, I think you're putting more thought into it than necessary, given that it sounds like you don't care to learn any of the specifics; were you on Windows, all sorts of junk would get installed behind your back, so even if you're not understanding every single update, you're still better off. If you removed packages (programs) you don't need, you'll no longer be asked to update, because they don't exist. ;)
Here to help.

I'm LearnLinux (LL) on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfp-lN ... naEE6NtDSg
I'm also terminalforlife (TFL) on GitHub: https://github.com/terminalforlife
Pjotr
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Pjotr »

You might find this article interesting, that I've written about understanding and optimizing Update Manager in Linux Mint 18.3:
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/20
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 20 Ulyana
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
jsb
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jsb »

Termy wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:36 am
OP, I think you're putting more thought into it than necessary, given that it sounds like you don't care to learn any of the specifics; were you on Windows, all sorts of junk would get installed behind your back, so even if you're not understanding every single update, you're still better off.
I think the mint update interface can lead to over-thinking things. When I had Xubuntu, the software updater avoided this, as it was just blindly click and update everything. When I first saw the Mint version, I thought "why don't you just tell me what should be updated?" :wink:

With Mint, I use the advice at Pjotr's link to come up with some reasonable settings and really don't need to think about things much after that. And when updating breaks things, as happened recently with the Virtualbox update, there is probably going to be a fix posted pretty quickly :) .
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

Termy wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:36 am
The main reason I wrote and still maintain this interactive de-bloater simplify-ubuntu is to make tasks like that easier, Hoser Rob, although common sense and at least a basic understanding is advised, non-the-less.

OP, I think you're putting more thought into it than necessary, given that it sounds like you don't care to learn any of the specifics; were you on Windows, all sorts of junk would get installed behind your back, so even if you're not understanding every single update, you're still better off. If you removed packages (programs) you don't need, you'll no longer be asked to update, because they don't exist. ;)
I know this is the way it's supposed to work, but I keep getting updates for things not installed, also. Not a lot but enough.
I have travelled 35629424162.9 miles in my lifetime

One thing I would suggest, create a partition a ~28G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home.
When the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.
smurphos
Level 17
Level 17

Post by smurphos »

Arch_Enemy wrote:
Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:52 am
I know this is the way it's supposed to work, but I keep getting updates for things not installed, also. Not a lot but enough.
Are you sure they are not installed or failing that a new dependency of something else that is installed and being updated?

Update Manager does cause confusion with how it lists packages - it might just be one library from one application that is a dependency of something else you have installed but Update Manager names it as if you were updating the whole application. You are not.

The Chromium codecs which are part of mint-meta-codecs are the most obvious case - it appears to a casual glance that Chromium as a whole is being updated - what is actually being updated is just chromium-codecs-ffmpeg-extra unless of course you do have Chromium installed in full.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
karlchen
Level 21
Level 21

Post by karlchen »

Arch_Enemy wrote:
I know this is the way it's supposed to work, but I keep getting updates for things not installed, also.
This statement is not covered by what I have seen in Linux Mint Update Manager so far.
The Update Manager explicitly checks for updated packages of software, which is already present in the system.
As a consequence Update Manager never offers any update for any software package which is not already present in the system.
Update Manager sometimes labels available updates in a confusing way, thus e.g. making users think they were offered updates for the Chromium browsers, which they have never installed, although in fact it is only the update for the chromium-codecs package, which has been present all the time.
Linux Mint 19.3 64-bit Cinnamon, Total Commander 9.51 64-bit
Haß gleicht einer Krankheit, dem Miserere, wo man vorne herausgibt, was eigentlich hinten wegsollte. (Goethe)
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

smurphos wrote:
Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:16 am
Arch_Enemy wrote:
Are you sure they are not installed or failing that a new dependency of something else that is installed and being updated?

Update Manager does cause confusion with how it lists packages - it might just be one library from one application that is a dependency of something else you have installed but Update Manager names it as if you were updating the whole application. You are not.

The Chromium codecs which are part of mint-meta-codecs are the most obvious case - it appears to a casual glance that Chromium as a whole is being updated - what is actually being updated is just chromium-codecs-ffmpeg-extra unless of course you do have Chromium installed in full.
Yeah, I use the chromium codecs.

I see what you mean. If you follow my adventures in breaking Linux in another thread, yeah, I install libraries from all over. So it is very possible that a library I have installed for use by another program may be triggering the update manager to list other updates.
I have travelled 35629424162.9 miles in my lifetime

One thing I would suggest, create a partition a ~28G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home.
When the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.

Return to “Newbie Questions”