[SOLVED] Black screen after AMD drivers' update

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Daniel_AYA-AZZ

[SOLVED] Black screen after AMD drivers' update

Post by Daniel_AYA-AZZ »

Hello, I've been using Linux Mint 18.3 Cinnamon 64 bits the last two weeks trying to solve an abusive number of problems through this forum, but today I messes up big time...

When I turned on the PC, the screen resolution was terribly low. After a lot of searching, errors, files not found, etc., I decided to just download the AMD Catalyst for Radeon HD 6000 series (the version specific for Linux). I ran the file and it froze near the end. I restarted the PC and tried another approach (I can't tell you every single step because I was desperately searching for info everywhere). After that, it let me install the drivers and asked me to reboot. Now all I have is a black screen after the Linux Mint logo.

Compatibility mode doesn't work and neither does using nomodeset. I wanted to see if I could reinstall Linux to fix the problem, but I don't know how and, as I said, my screen doesn't display anything at all.

I would really appreciate any assistande you can give me and my apologies if I'm writing this where I shouldn't.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
WharfRat

Re: Black screen after AMD drivers' update

Post by WharfRat »

Hello Daniel Image

Welcome to Linux Mint and the Linux Mint forum :)

Installing anything outside the official repos is always dangerous as you have now found out.

Are you able to press the CTL-ALT-F1 keys to get to a console where you can logon :?:

If you can logon enter cd /etc/X11 then ls -lh xorg.conf

If there is an xorg.conf file enter sudo mv -v xorg.conf xorg.conf.back

Then sudo reboot to see if that fixes it.
Daniel_AYA-AZZ

Post by Daniel_AYA-AZZ »

Thank you very much for answering so quickly. Unfortunatelly, CTRL+ALT+F1 doesn't work. I guess the keyboard isn't responding as the green light from the numpad isn't on...

Is there any other way in which I could use that command? For example, using Linux Live CD bios or something like that? (Sorry, I know how to use a computer, but I suck when it comes to being more "savvy").

And by the way, the AMD Catalyst was from the original AMD page, but I saw on the page that it was a version of 2015... and it says that it works with kernel up to 3 and I had 4 and something... I can't believed I overlooked something like that...
WharfRat

Post by WharfRat »

That file, if there is one, can be accessed from the media you used to install Mint.

So boot up the pen drive or whatever, open the terminal application and paste back the results of sudo blkid
Daniel_AYA-AZZ

Post by Daniel_AYA-AZZ »

Sorry for the delay. I was trying to upload a photo to the forum, but it's a pain using a smartphone for it.

Um... Basically, I'm at the part in which says:

Welcome to Linux Mint 18.3 Cinnamon 64-bit
Start Linux Mint
Start in compatibility mode
OEM install (for manufacturers)
Integrity check
Memory test
Boot from local drive
Press Tab to edit options

So... do I just press Tab and write the commands? I must tell you, clicking on anything leads me to the black screen, so I cannot advance further than this.
Mattyboy

Post by Mattyboy »

fyi AMD Catalyst drivers do not work in Mint 18. They do in 17.3 so if you need those you'll have to install the older version.

From your live boot just select to boot to the live desktop from there you'll be able to access your drive with the install on it and run those commands, they should revert you back to the open source drivers. RE-boot back into your installed system and run a purge on the AMD drivers.
WharfRat

Post by WharfRat »

I don't remember having all those options, but its been a long time since I did an an install.

You are booting the live media - right :?:

I guess you would choose Start Linux Mint if you're in the right place :?
Daniel_AYA-AZZ

Post by Daniel_AYA-AZZ »

Sorry for the delay, it was midnight where I live and I went to bed.

Anyway, as I'm still very lost at what to do or how, despite your indications, I decided to record the booting process of my PC.

First, I show what happens when I try to boot normally and then what happens when I boot the installation disk of Linux (some things are in Spanish, so if you don't understand something, please, let me know).

P.S.: However, and I don't know if this happened because I've been restarting the computer a lot, now the live CD loads a different menu from what I told you in my last post.

https://youtu.be/CsWJitTzNeY
WharfRat

Post by WharfRat »

I can see from your video that you're not booting to the cdrom even after setting it in the BIOS.

That I can't explain because it should work.

Is there some setting when choosing the boot menu for UEFI boot or something like that :?:

Is your original installation UEFI or legacy :?:

I forget the exact terminology :?
md419
Level 2
Level 2

Post by md419 »

When the screen goes black, have you tried pressing the Esc key to see if any messages appear?
Mattyboy

Post by Mattyboy »

Looks like you can get GRUB... so..

Remove the DVD.
Turn on the computer and press either shift or esc key to get to the GRUB menu.
Move down to the advanced boot options and press enter.
The System will perform checks and try to repair them. It's likely it won't be able to and should then give you the option to sign into the shell.
Do so using your screen name and then your password.
Once you're logged in run the commands already given to you in the above posts.

Use

Code: Select all

shutdown -r now
to re-boot the system when you're finished.
Daniel_AYA-AZZ

Post by Daniel_AYA-AZZ »

Thank you, thank you, thank you very much to all of you!!! In case somebody else needs to now, I followed Mattyboy's steps and it turned on! It's finally on! :D The computer has boot in safe mode now. I'm kind of afraid of turning it off or touching anything. It is telling me to restart. Should I?
WharfRat

Post by WharfRat »

Did you check for the xorg.conf file and rename it if there was one :?:
Daniel_AYA-AZZ

Post by Daniel_AYA-AZZ »

Yes, I did it in a terminal during the boot. I guess the file was renamed as I have opened a terminal to look for it an it says "ls: cannot access to 'xorg.conf': The file or location doesn't exist" (this is me translating from Spanish, I imagine it is more or less clear though).
Last edited by Daniel_AYA-AZZ on Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
WharfRat

Post by WharfRat »

OK, then cross your fingers and reboot.
Daniel_AYA-AZZ

Post by Daniel_AYA-AZZ »

Ok, I backed up the files I was worried about loosin and restarted the PC. It went well, although it still says "Cinnamon had a fatal internal error. The system is in recovery mode". I'm not going to touch anything else for now (unless you tell me otherwise).
WharfRat

Post by WharfRat »

If you're in recovery then you should be in a console, so enter cd /etc/modprobe.d then grep radeon *

Do you get anything other than

[bill@XPS] /etc/modprobe.d $ grep radeon *
blacklist-framebuffer.conf:blacklist radeonfb
fbdev-blacklist.conf:blacklist radeonfb
[bill@XPS] /etc/modprobe.d $ 
Daniel_AYA-AZZ

Post by Daniel_AYA-AZZ »

Yep, some things are different. This is what it says:

blacklist-fglrx.conf:# radeon conflicts with AMD Linux Graphic Driver
blacklist-fglrx.conf:blacklist radeon
blacklist-framebuffer.conf:blacklist radeonfb
fbdev-blacklist.conf:blacklist radeonfb
WharfRat

Post by WharfRat »

OK, delete those blacklist-fglrx files sudo rm blacklist-fglrx* then reboot
Daniel_AYA-AZZ

Post by Daniel_AYA-AZZ »

Ok, I did what you said, but the black screen is back... Should I repeat the process I did to fix it earlier?

Return to “Beginner Questions”