Why am I getting a Netgear Login page? (updated)

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
pergelator
Level 1
Level 1

Why am I getting a Netgear Login page? (updated)

Post by pergelator » Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:53 am

Old Linux Mint box, hasn't been used for a year or two. Plug in an ethernet cable, connected to the same hub that all the other computers in my house are using. Bring up Firefox. I can access the Linux Mint Forum, but that is all. If I try to access Google anything, it tells me "Unable to connect". Try and bring up anything else and I get a Netgear Login page. Near as I can tell, I have no Netgear equipment on the premises. Where is this coming from?

The rest of the computer seems fine. I just used Brasero to burn a new Linux Mint installation DVD, and that worked fine.
Last edited by pergelator on Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MScott
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Why am I getting a Netgeor Login page?

Post by MScott » Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:27 am

I have a Netgear router and either 123.456.7.8 or routerlogin.net are used to set it up or make adjustments using the firmware or website software - possible you may have forgotten something in the past year or two. I don't know if anyone can tell you why a link is in your browser. If you tried it have you been redirected to a malicious site -- malware..?

Wonderin' are you getting a login page or a login dialog, either asking for admin & password? Strange indeed. If you could I would update Ff to see if you can open a new page or a new tab blank.
Still using Windows, testing in progress to determine if I can completely move over to Linux Mint and not lose any software or hardware needs. I'm very hopeful Mint will be my next OS.

Return to “Newbie Questions”