Installing Zoneminder - server question

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
dubman
Level 1
Level 1

Installing Zoneminder - server question

Post by dubman »

Hi, I may be interested in installing Zonefinder in Mint, but from what I gather, it's somewhat complicated. Is it true that you have to set up your own server when installing Zonefinder? And if so, does that mean that the pc or laptop with the installation must be left turned on 24/7 so that motion detect works all the time? Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Installing Zoneminder - server question

Post by AndyMH »

Personally, I wouldn't bother. Took me ages to get it working and wasn't impressed with the end result. Have a look at Xeoma instead. See also:

viewtopic.php?f=90&t=258105
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
dubman
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dubman »

And idea whether Blue Iris or Xeoma is better for reliable motion detection? Also, with Xeoma, is it necessary to install my own server, in which case would I have to leave my laptop turned on for 24/7 motion detection? I have been looking at the Xeoma website and I'm wondering whether the Standard version would give good results, especially for motion detection? Or would the Lite version be the same in that regard? Or is the Pro much better? Thanks!
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

Short answer - don't know, I went out and bought a Synology nas and run their surveillance software.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0

Return to “Beginner Questions”