pc as amp?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
wiab4355
Level 2
Level 2

pc as amp?

Post by wiab4355 »

Is it possible to use the pc as an amp?

I've connected a cassette deck (to hear if some of my tapes are worth keeping), but can't get any sound out of it.

I'll go through what I've done so far and maybe someone can spot an obvious hole!

Connected line-outs to line-in, checked speakers are working (OK), pressed "Play", but can't hear anything.

On the Input tab in the Sound module, Device=Line-in Built-in Audio, Device settings=Volume:32%. The input level keeps moving up and down as though something is playing (which of course it is), but can't hear anything.

Unfortunately my technical expertise stops here. Help please?
Ian, an AFC Wimbledon fan (come on, you Dons)
Mattyboy
Level 6
Level 6

Re: pc as amp?

Post by Mattyboy »

If you haven't already install pavucontrol from the software manager then play with the settings while the tape is playing.

Line in or a microphone socket should work.
ralplpcr
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ralplpcr »

It may help to know which version of Mint you're running. In general, the steps would be:

1. Open your sound settings
2. Set the "line in" as your active "record from" device, and make certain it's turned on
3. Adjust the volume slider in your sound settings to an input level that doesn't cause clipping

Exactly *where* these settings are may vary depending on the version of Mint you have. On Cinnamon (what I've got running) it's a matter of clicking on the speaker icon in the tray, choosing "Sound Settings", and then clicking the "Input" tab..... but it may be different for you.

If you don't know the version of Mint you have, try entering inxi -S (that's a capital S!) in a terminal.
Flemur
Level 18
Level 18

Post by Flemur »

wiab4355 wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:52 am
Is it possible to use the pc as an amp?
Not really. It's more like a pre-amp or mixer.
Connected line-outs to line-in, checked speakers are working (OK), pressed "Play", but can't hear anything.
With regular (not powered, no built-in amp) speakers you probably won't hear anything; the computer output is "line" level, which is about right to drive headphones, but not speakers.

But if you're using powered speakers or an actual amplifier, fiddle with "pavucontrol" and "qasmixer" (nice replacement for alsamixer) to get audio.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?

Return to “Newbie Questions”