SOLVED!!! Live Booting Mint 18.3

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jlawrence

SOLVED!!! Live Booting Mint 18.3

Post by jlawrence »

Hi all,

I am new here, I ran a Live boot with USB on my windows 7 yesterday, then I installed it on a partition on the HDD. After I tried to remove the windows partition which actually was removed but the disk space did not reflect the change and it kept saying unable to mount file/image.

Now whenever I try to boot the computer it stops at 'a start job is running for HOLD until boot process finishes up'

I have formatted my computer with Windows again but I'd really want to have Linux on the system. at the time of writing this, I am download a new ISO image to try again. I will update this thread when I have more information.

Thank you.

[EDIT] --

I made a clean install by erasing the Windows OS, it works well now. thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
sbroccolo

Re: Live Booting Mint 18.3

Post by sbroccolo »

Depends on how you tried to install it on a "partition on the HDD".
The simplest method if you do not want Windows 7 at all is to use the "Erase disk" option for Installation Type. The top choice on that screen. It will completely reformat the HDD and place the bootloader in the proper place if you leave the default alone.
Using "something else" requires preparation of the HDD beforehand and the correct settings for the partition(s) you choose.
That method will be covered in any "How to dual boot Linux Mint and Windows 7" tutorial, if that is what you are trying accomplish.
sbroccolo

Re: SOLVED!!! Live Booting Mint 18.3

Post by sbroccolo »

Congratulation! Welcome to Linux Mint! Be sure to ask if you have anymore issues.

Return to “Beginner Questions”