Window/Font sizes tiny???

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
ljj28
Level 1
Level 1

Window/Font sizes tiny???

Post by ljj28 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:24 am

Hi,

I've just started using a laptop running Mint 18.2. The screen is 14'', the resolution 2560x1440. However I have one problem: everything is very tiny. I've changed this on Firefox by setting a minimum font for all webpages and of course I can zoom into open office pages, etc. - but would there be a way of changing the basic set-up so everything everywhere would be proportionally larger?

I'd be very grateful for any help.

Thanks.

Lisa

Moem
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Window/Font sizes tiny???

Post by Moem » Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:26 am

Hello Lisa,
What is the exact version (desktop environment) of Mint 18.2 that you are running? Answers will be different depending on that.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Flemur
Level 17
Level 17

Post by Flemur » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:44 am

ljj28 wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:24 am
would there be a way of changing the basic set-up so everything everywhere would be proportionally larger?
Look into changing the monitor "DPI":
https://www.maketecheasier.com/how-to-h ... -in-linux/
"How to Handle a Hi-Dpi Screen in Linux"
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?

nelis_259
Level 1
Level 1

Post by nelis_259 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:27 pm

Hi Lisa, Had the same problem with firefox text. Much too small font every time changing websites. After a long search i found this solution.
Open new tab in firefox:
type : about:config
This will give you a warning but you can proceed.
Locate : font.size.systemFontScale
double click the entry en set zoomfactor. (By default = 100)
close tab.

Good luck
Attachments
Schermafdruk van 2018-07-10 15-12-51.png

ZakGordon
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ZakGordon » Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:29 am

What is it with current manufacturers putting such huge resolutions in such small screen space? We had this exact same question a week or so ago (same screen size and native resolution).

My first step would be to try going into Menu>Preferences>Display and change the default 2560x1440 to something like 1920x1080 then see how it looks. Keep adjusting until you are happy you can use your screen properly. You can also look in 'Preferences' for 'Icons' and that will allow you to change their size for further customization should you need it.
Laptop overheating issues? Check links below:
TLP
itsfoss guide
If none of the above fixes the issue, moving from Cinnamon to XFCE will give around -5 to -10 degrees C improvements.

shawnhcorey
Level 4
Level 4

Post by shawnhcorey » Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:49 am

ljj28 wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:24 am
Hi,

I've just started using a laptop running Mint 18.2. The screen is 14'', the resolution 2560x1440. However I have one problem: everything is very tiny. I've changed this on Firefox by setting a minimum font for all webpages and of course I can zoom into open office pages, etc. - but would there be a way of changing the basic set-up so everything everywhere would be proportionally larger?

I'd be very grateful for any help.

Thanks.

Lisa

Under the Look and Feel menu, select Appearance. There is a Fonts tab that allows you to change the default font size. This will work for many apps.

This does not work for apps based on Qt (example VLC). To change Qt default fonts, you have to download a package called qt4-qtconfig. Open a terminal and type:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get --yes install qt4-atconfig
Enter your password and the package will be installed. There should be a new menu item under Look and Feel called Qt 4 Settings. This will allow you to change the default fonts for Qt apps.
Don't stop where the ink does.

Return to “Newbie Questions”