No sound in Amarok, other sounds are fine [SOLVED}

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
ebeckhusen
Level 1
Level 1

No sound in Amarok, other sounds are fine [SOLVED}

Post by ebeckhusen »

Before I upgraded from Felicia I was able to play MP3s in Amarok. Now I get no sound from it, even though sound is otherwise working. I have checked the sound levels and maxed them, but nothing. I tried following a few Ubuntu-based solutions that I Googled, but to no avail.

It is by no means top priority for me to use Amarok, but it's what I'm used to, so any help would be appreciated. Let me know what info I can give you (and how to get it, since I'm still kind of new and don't know the commands) and I'll post back.
Last edited by ebeckhusen on Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LitBolt
Level 1
Level 1

Re: No sound in Amarok, other sounds are fine

Post by LitBolt »

Is there just no sound, or does it complain about not being able to access a device or something? If another program is running that uses sound, it might block Amarok's access to it.

I don't really use amarok, but is there something in the preferences about what kind of sound driver (OSS, ALSA, etc) it uses, and does changing it help?

ebeckhusen
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ebeckhusen »

It doesn't complain about any devices. There is just no sound and the song progress bar doesn't move. There isn't a way, that I can see, to change the default sound driver, but while I was poking around I decided to try an internet stream instead of MP3 and got sound from it. So I guess it's something to do with MP3 playback, maybe a codec or something is missing?

LitBolt
Level 1
Level 1

Post by LitBolt »

Hm... a few other people have complained about similar things with Gloria, but I haven't seen a solution yet. Do formats other than MP3s work? Also, do you have a Creative sound card? Linux sometimes takes issue with them...

ebeckhusen
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ebeckhusen »

Okay, somehow I fixed it. I have no idea what did it, because I tried a bunch of things. But the last things I did were to remove/reinstall phonon and a couple of recommended related packages, removed kubuntu-restricted-extras (had installed as Amarok is a kde app), removed ubuntu-restricted-extras, and a couple of other things I can't remember.

I'll mark this solved, but unfortunately it won't help anyone else very much. From now on I'm going to write down exactly what I've done so when it works I can tell someone else!

Kaye
Level 5
Level 5

Re: No sound in Amarok, other sounds are fine [SOLVED}

Post by Kaye »

I'm having a similar problem with Banshee and Rhythmbox, but I can't get them fixed for the life of me. Which is very annoying because there aren't many other good audio players.
"In somnis veritas"
Antivirus or defragging?

Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Zwopper »

Kaye wrote:I'm having a similar problem with Banshee and Rhythmbox, but I can't get them fixed for the life of me. Which is very annoying because there aren't many other good audio players.
Exaile works like a dream!
My artwork at deviantART | My Band - Electric Alchemea
CREA DIEM!

Lenovo U330P | i5 | 16GB | 128GB - SSD | Elemantary OS 0.4

ebeckhusen
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ebeckhusen »

Kaye wrote:I'm having a similar problem with Banshee and Rhythmbox, but I can't get them fixed for the life of me. Which is very annoying because there aren't many other good audio players.
Have you tried removing pulseaudio? I heard that works for some people.

Kaye
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Kaye »

Tried it, didn't seem to do anything. I'm baffled by the whole thing honestly, I had no similar problems with Felicia.
"In somnis veritas"
Antivirus or defragging?

Kaye
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Kaye »

Update: After a restart, it appears to have worked! Thanks so much!
"In somnis veritas"
Antivirus or defragging?

Return to “Newbie Questions”