gnome-keyring-daemon not responding [Solved]

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
glore2002

gnome-keyring-daemon not responding [Solved]

Post by glore2002 »

Hello!

This is the message I get when trying to shut down or restart the computer running Linux Mint 18.3. Googling I find many users have this problem but didn't find a solution yet.

The only thing I know is keyring keeps user's passwords and credentials or something like that.

Any advice or solution will be very very welcome :-)

Thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Re: gnome-keyring-daemon not responding

Post by Cosmo. »

There is no solution - as long as the developers do not provide any - only a workaround. Open before you log out or shut down a terminal and enter

Code: Select all

gnome-keyring-daemon -r
You need to type the command only once. At the next session you can recall the command in the terminal by the up arrow key.
glore2002

Post by glore2002 »

Cosmo. wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:00 am There is no solution - as long as the developers do not provide any - only a workaround. Open before you log out or shut down a terminal and enter

gnome-keyring-daemon -r
You need to type the command only once. At the next session you can recall the command in the terminal by the up arrow key.
Thank you very much. I understand there is no solution and I don't like to hear that because developers should provide a solution :-(

Is it possible to make this command (workaround) execute automatically at shut down time?

Thanks again for your cooperation.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

glore2002 wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:12 am Is it possible to make this command (workaround) execute automatically at shut down time?
In principle by a script, which executes at first the command to quit the daemon and after(!) that to shut down or to log out. But you would not be able to use any of the built-in functions (menu entries, keyboard shortcuts) for login out or shutting down or rebooting.

The really strange thing is, that the developers say, that they cannot reproduce this issue. As officially stated there are nearly a dozen Cinnamon developers in the team. I have not the smallest idea, why none of them sees a problem, which has been complained so often in the forum. Not even different hardware could explain this magic, as the problem is reproducible in a VirtualBox guest, which means nearly totally identical (virtual) hardware for everybody.
glore2002

Post by glore2002 »

Thanks Cosmo! I totally agree.

I will try using the command but expecting a solution. A good OS should not have this kind of problems. As I am planning to use Linux Mint at School (with my students) I need to make sure it is the best option to choose. I need an stable OS with the less possible problems. Otherwise students and colleagues will son say Windows was better and I would hate hearing that again :-)
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

Someone wrote a "solution" in that you had to go to Terminal and issue the command "down" which would run a script that he wrote.

I tried that, and it is more trouble than it is worth.

This works 100% of the time

Terminal: Shutdown 0 that is a 'zero'

for me, that has always worked and bypasses the keyring daemin...
and it saves your data and the next reboot seems to be better, and a shutdown can occur w/o the daemin showing up.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
glore2002

Post by glore2002 »

AZgl1500 wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:38 pm Someone wrote a "solution" in that you had to go to Terminal and issue the command "down" which would run a script that he wrote.

I tried that, and it is more trouble than it is worth.

This works 100% of the time

Terminal: Shutdown 0 that is a 'zero'

for me, that has always worked and bypasses the keyring daemin...
and it saves your data and the next reboot seems to be better, and a shutdown can occur w/o the daemin showing up.
Thanks! I will give it a try for sure!
stephanieswitzer
Level 4
Level 4

Post by stephanieswitzer »

I recall having this "gnome-keyring-daemon not responding" issue myself when I was dual-booting MacOS and Mint. I've since deleted MacOS and single boot Mint 18.3 Cinnamon. On reading this thread it occurs to me that since deleting MacOS, this "gnome-keyring-daemon not responding" no longer crops up. I know, not a solution, just a realisation.
Mac-Mini running Linux Mint 20.3 Cinnamon, Intel© Core™ i5-2415M CPU @ 2.30GHz
MacBookPro9,2 running Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.3 Intel Core i5-3210M CPU @ 3.20GHz
System76 Galago Pro 4, running Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.3 Intel i5-1021 CPU @ 4.2 Ghz
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

I'm almost afraid to talk about it, it might show up again. tee hee :lol:

I'm a kybd'er, I use shortcut keys for as much as I can possibly do, I hate to use a mouse to scroll thru a menu when Ctl-Alt-T brings up Terminal now....

and Ctl-Alt-F brings up Firefox now....

and Alt-E brings up Nemo now.....

and a whole bunch of shortcuts that I carry with me.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

One thing is for sure: It is a runtime conflict, and so the problem does not happen always. This means also, that it possible, that you change anything on the system, reboot and find that the problem seems to be gone; but after some time it is back.

The question is, what triggers the runtime conflict? Only the developers can know that, only they know, what they have changed. We have seen in the forum (and I on my test system) the first complaints with 18.2, but comparably seldom, with 18.3 the situation got dramatically worse. What I have found out on my test system 18.3 is, that the problem does not happen, if I shut down the system in between a short time (few minutes). If I let the system run for some time - but without any user activity, that means e. g. without opening any program - and shut down later, the message appears. This leads my suspicion to the update manager, because UM starts with some delay after login in and does the first check, whether there are new updates available, with some more delay. It wouldn't be the first bug in UM. I will have to do a test, where I disable UM from autostarting, but it will take some time, until I have a result.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

Cosmo. wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:30 am What I have found out on my test system 18.3 is, that the problem does not happen, if I shut down the system in between a short time (few minutes). If I let the system run for some time - but without any user activity, that means e. g. without opening any program - and shut down later, the message appears. This leads my suspicion to the update manager, because UM starts with some delay after login in and does the first check, whether there are new updates available, with some more delay. It wouldn't be the first bug in UM. I will have to do a test, where I disable UM from autostarting, but it will take some time, until I have a result.
@cosmo

I used to never turn off my PCs, ( and my Win7 Desktop is NEVER shutdown )
but with this Daily Driver laptop on 18.3 Cinnamon, I have taken to always shut it down if I am not going to be using it for several hours... and I make it a given that when I go to bed, it will be shut down.

Reading your comment on this fact, makes me think that since I have started the Regimen of shutting the laptop down if not in use, that "might be" why I have not been bothered by the Keyring Daemon appearing any more??
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Obviously, if you do not shut down, than the hanging daemon cannot affect a shutdown. :wink: (Hopefully the devs do not do the same and tell afterwards, that they cannot reproduce the issue. :mrgreen: )

P.S., because not on topic: Leaving the system running 24 / 7 without a reboot is IMHO a bad attempt, as some of the installed updates might not get effective in this case. If you reboot than after a longer time and the updated services and drivers are getting effective you are totally at loss to say in case of a problem, which update gave a problem. You will possibly not even remember the problematic update. But take this only as a side note.
pbear
Level 16
Level 16

Post by pbear »

Cosmo. wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:00 am There is no solution - as long as the developers do not provide any - only a workaround. Open before you log out or shut down a terminal and enter

gnome-keyring-daemon -r
FYI, ron_h recently posted an alternate solution in this thread (based, I think, on this post by allanr):
ron_h wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 7:29 pm After more research in the LM forums, I've found a solution that seems to be working for me (so far at least).

Install the Session Manager applet and use that instead of the Menu 'Quit' button to shut down.

Go to System Settings-Preferences-Applets then select 'Available applets (online)' then find and select 'Session Manager' and install it. Select 'Installed applets' and select 'Session Manager' then 'add to panel'. The icon will now be on the RH side of the panel. Use it to shut down from now onward.
I've tried this in a test box and it works for me as well. And more elegant than putting shutdown now in a panel launcher, which is the kludge I've been using till now. Even more useful, perhaps, may be the possibility it helps to diagnose the problem. Obviously Session Manager is doing something differently from Quit.
SueS
Level 2
Level 2

Re: gnome-keyring-daemon not responding [Solved]

Post by SueS »

Hi,

Thanks for posting these workarounds. I just installed Linux Mint Sylvia 18.3 Cinnamon-64 bit. I get the gname-keyring-daemon not responding when I try to shutdown. I have not been monitoring whether it only occurs when I use certain programs. My question is what are the advantages/disadvantages of using the terminal command, "Shutdown 0" versus "gnome-keyring-daemon -r"?

Thanks in advance for any comments.
pwingert

Re: gnome-keyring-daemon not responding [Solved]

Post by pwingert »

A solution viewtopic.php?t=267905 (post #14) indicates that " I had this since updating to 18.3,(newbie)I went to software manager & installed monodoc gnome-keyring-manuel" solved the issue. But there is no pedigree on this solution. It was delivered by angels engraved on golden plates!

Return to “Beginner Questions”