Suspend breaks (computer wakes to black screen) if secure boot is disabled

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
samrux

Suspend breaks (computer wakes to black screen) if secure boot is disabled

Post by samrux »

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxz
System:    Host: ASUS-Samuel Kernel: 4.13.0-38-generic x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 5.4.0)
           Desktop: Cinnamon 3.6.7 (Gtk 3.18.9-1ubuntu3.3)
           Distro: Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia
Machine:   System: ASUSTeK (portable) product: X542UQ v: 1.0
           Mobo: ASUSTeK model: X542UQ v: 1.0
           Bios: American Megatrends v: X542UQ.302 date: 11/16/2017
CPU:       Dual core Intel Core i7-7500U (-HT-MCP-) cache: 4096 KB
           flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 11616
           clock speeds: max: 3500 MHz 1: 1110 MHz 2: 864 MHz 3: 868 MHz
           4: 850 MHz
Graphics:  Card-1: Intel Device 5916 bus-ID: 00:02.0
           Card-2: NVIDIA GM108M [GeForce 940MX] bus-ID: 01:00.0
           Display Server: X.Org 1.18.4 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
           Resolution: 1366x768@60.00hz
           GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel HD Graphics 620 (Kaby Lake GT2)
           GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 18.0.0-rc4 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio:     Card Intel Device 9d71 driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1f.3
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.13.0-38-generic
Network:   Card-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller
           driver: r8169 v: 2.3LK-NAPI port: d000 bus-ID: 02:00.0
           IF: enp2s0 state: down mac: <filter>
           Card-2: Qualcomm Atheros QCA9565 / AR9565 Wireless Network Adapter
           driver: ath9k bus-ID: 03:00.0
           IF: wlp3s0 state: up mac: <filter>
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 1000.2GB (5.5% used)
           ID-1: /dev/sda model: TOSHIBA_MQ01ABD1 size: 1000.2GB temp: 31C
Partition: ID-1: / size: 184G used: 37G (22%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda5
           ID-2: swap-1 size: 15.73GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda6
RAID:      No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 36.5C mobo: N/A
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info:      Processes: 214 Uptime: 11 min Memory: 1237.8/11896.2MB
           Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 5.4.0
           Client: Shell (bash 4.3.481) inxi: 2.2.35 
Yesterday I decided to install Linux Mint on my laptop, dual-booting with Windows 10, and it's fantastic. I'll probably use it as my main OS, save for a few games and applications/development. It's my first time using a Windows GUI distro, but I've been using an Ubuntu VPS for hosting, so I had a little experience.

I value Hibernation a lot, as it saves energy (and my laptop's biggest flaw is short battery span). However, the hibernation option was nowhere to be found after installation, which I nailed down to be the fault of UEFI's secure boot. Disabling secure boot enabled hibernation, however, this broke Suspension (yes, suspension to RAM as well). Now, after the computer goes to sleep (for example, by closing the lid), waking up results in the fan starting and the power light turning on, and I can see the terminal cursor in the top left corner for a split second, before I'm left with a black screen and no other option but to force shut down the laptop. No key combination has any effect, not even the virtual terminal. Hibernation has the same effect.

To fix this, I've spent countless hours trying everything Google threw at me (which wasn't much, because this seems to be a rarely-ocurring issue with no definitive solution), including updating the kernel, downgrading the kernel, updating to a new Nvidia driver, and... honestly I don't remember the rest, as it's been a hellish time. At some point I switched to the integrated Intel GPU, which resulted in Suspend working, but hibernation was still broken, and I also don't want to use the Intel GPU all the time. Along the way many things broke, which resulted in more and more work researching other obscure problems, and finally I came back to where I started. I disabled secure boot so I can keep my nvidia driver and still sleep, though I'd love if I could have Hibernate on linux.

Thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Re: Suspend breaks (computer wakes to black screen) if secure boot is disabled

Post by AZgl1800 »

hate to break the news to you, but on some computers, 18.3 Cinnamon has a bug in it.

The only way that my laptop would stop hanging up, and forcing me to hold down the Power Button until the BIOS turned off the power, was to set every thing to NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, EVER...

yes, no hibernation, no suspend, no sleep. and on "Lid Close" set to Nothing.

When I close the lid, the screen display is turned off and that is the major power consumer on my ASUS laptop.
I have the brightness set at 30% all the time and it gives around 5 to 6 hours of use that way. Although, it is rarely not connected to a power source. ( since my eyes have received new lenses because of Cataract Surgery, I am very sensitive to bright lights )

But, at times, I do unplug and carry it with me, and it will survive a trip to town, some shopping while the girls do their thing and I hang out in a McDonald's surfing the 'net.... :lol: :lol:

After I did all of the above, this laptop has not hung up since because of those issues.
An occasional app has hung up, but that is usually able to be taken care of with Alt-SysReq R E I S U B

Sometimes those errant apps can be unhung with Alt-F4 which will normally close any running app.

I have also place the Shutdown button on the Panel because at times, the keyboard is hung-up and none of the kybd shortcuts will work, but the mouse has ALWAYS remained active. Very strange but I am thankful for that, a click on the Panel to shutdown and the day is saved.

I always keep Timeshift up todate so a repair can be effected if necessary. Thankfully not once have I had to do this since I rebuilt this laptop after the last crash..... I have learned a lot more about Linux since that crash :mrgreen:
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
samrux

Post by samrux »

AZgl1500 wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:22 pm yes, no hibernation, no suspend, no sleep. and on "Lid Close" set to Nothing.
Thanks for the reply

If that's the case, then sadly I won't be able to use Linux for now. It's already been a dozen tiring hours of wasted time googling and troubleshooting, and I need my laptop to sleep (preferably hibernate, but I'll get to that) in order to carry it around all over uni all day, because the battery lasts tops 2.5 hours on a charge. I absolutely love Linux Mint Cinammon as my first desktop distro, but I have stuff to do and I was promised stability and simplicity, not the same hell of troubleshooting as advanced distros.

On top of it, I just re-encountered a problem I had before where the Nvidia driver is installed but not loaded, and nothing I can do will load it again, again. It defaults to the integrated Intel card every time. I've tried purging and reinstalling everything nvidia, changing nvidia settings and files, disabling nouveau, several times. nvidia-settings won't start because it can't recognize the card because the driver isn't loaded. I don't know how I fixed this last time but it came back, and the driver is the same one that worked before. I need to use my dedicated card... That's the current deal right now. I'm also under the suspicion that if I fix it the Suspension will break again. So I'd want to at least get the nvidia card + sleeping working properly on this installation to be able to live at peace.

ALso, the CAps LOck delay thing is annoying, and the script to fix it doesn't work very well.
Last edited by samrux on Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

Actually 18.3 Cinnamon is very stable...

I had a few minor annoyances that I wanted changed, and with the help of this forum, they all got fixed "to my way"

the suspend only effects some PCs/laptops. it is a crap shoot.
I am sure that if you stick around a bit, the folks here can get you sorted out.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
samrux

Post by samrux »

AZgl1500 wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:47 pm the suspend only effects some PCs/laptops. it is a crap shoot.
I am sure that if you stick around a bit, the folks here can get you sorted out.
Thanks for the hope, I'll be sure to stick around and seek more help. People here are much nicer than in most forums!
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

samrux wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:52 pm
AZgl1500 wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:47 pm the suspend only effects some PCs/laptops. it is a crap shoot.
Thanks for the hope, I'll be sure to stick around and seek more help. People here are much nicer than in most forums!
That was the first thing that attracted me 'Mint' Linux after I decided that 'Cinnamon' was going to be my Desktop.

Return to “Beginner Questions”