Dual Booting Linux Mint 18.3 with Windows XP

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
spearmint
Level 1
Level 1

Dual Booting Linux Mint 18.3 with Windows XP

Post by spearmint » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:00 am

Just a senior citizen linux beginner that hasn't the foggiest idea of how to install linux mint alongside xp and then have the choice which to load upon startup. I purchased the Linux Mint 18.3 Cinnamon CD/DVD? and would like to install it to my desktop. OS is XP and I changed the Bios to boot mint from DVD. Preparing to install Linux Mint? Initially wanted 50/50 of HD for NTFS and Mint. Currently dev sda 1 ntfs is 22.2 - dev/sda7 ext 4 mint 20 GB - dev/sda 5 ext 4 mint 33.5 GB - dev/sda1 6 is swap 4.2. dev/sda is 80 GB. It probably would help if I knew what dev sda was pertaining to? What do I need to do before I run out of ext. Thank you! Any an all assistance would be appreciated.

WharfRat
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Dual Booting Linux Mint 18.3 with Windows XP

Post by WharfRat » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:09 am

Hello spearmint Image

Welcome to Linux Mint and the Linux Mint forum :)
spearmint wrote:It probably would help if I knew what dev sda was pertaining to?
Linux references disks and partitions much differently than Windows.

In short /dev/sda would be your primary disk and /dev/sda1 would be the first partition on that disk and /dev/sda2 the second and so on.

/dev/sbd would be the secondary disk - if you have one - and /dev/sdb1 would be the first partition and so on just like /dev/sda.

Your'e going to have a bit of a learning curve, but it will make sense to you soon

Good luck and enjoy :wink:
ImageImage

michael louwe
Level 9
Level 9

Post by michael louwe » Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:43 am

@ spearmint, .......
spearmint wrote:.
Which install method for LM did you use.? Is LM already installed alongside Win XP on your desktop.?
http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/

If you use the automatic "Install LM alongside Windows" method, the LM Installer will do the installation and disk-partitioning for you and you will be given the option to set the size of the LM system partition by moving the Slider on the colorful Partition Table. The default size is about 20GB. Only a / or Root and Swap partition will be auto-created.

If you use the manual "Something else" install method, you need to first shrink the Win XP system partition by using the built-in Windows Disk Partitioning Tool or the built-in GParted Tool from the Live LM media(= DVD or USB-stick) to create a desired free space for the coming LM system. Then ... viewtopic.php?f=42&t=122276 (manual partitioning Tutorial for Legacy BIOS mode and MBR/ms-dos disks). Ensure that the "Device for boot loader installation" is the internal hard-drive or /dev/sda.
....... The extra Home partition is for storing your settings and data, eg movies, music, photos, etc. A separate Home partition facilitates future LM upgrade installs, eg install LM 19.1 over LM 18.3 later = no need to reset your system/app settings and to backup your data.

Please provide details about your computer brand, model and specs. Or from the Live LM media, provide the Terminal output for inxi -Fxz and sudo parted -l. Eg 1GB or 1.5GB of RAM cannot properly run Cinnamon's 3D video-effects = use Xfce or Mate edition.
Last edited by michael louwe on Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:00 am, edited 2 times in total.

Pierre
Level 17
Level 17

Post by Pierre » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:17 am

installing LinuxMint along side of an existing win-xp - - is usually quite straight-forward.
8)
just use the Default options, that are available on the LinuxMint Installer itself.

this will give you a basic, but standard installation of the LinuxMint system.

the actual size of the LinuxMint partition will depend upon the PCs HDD size,
& there should be a screen, where you can move a sider-bar to select the size of each system.

if you need to, you can ask for advice on each & every step, in the Installer's menu.
:)

once you have successfully installed LinuxMint, then do only use that for your Internet connection,
and keep that win-xp Off-Line as much as possible.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

spearmint
Level 1
Level 1

Post by spearmint » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:45 pm

WharfRat wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:09 am
Hello spearmint Image

Welcome to Linux Mint and the Linux Mint forum :)
spearmint wrote:It probably would help if I knew what dev sda was pertaining to?
Linux references disks and partitions much differently than Windows.

In short /dev/sda would be your primary disk and /dev/sda1 would be the first partition on that disk and /dev/sda2 the second and so on.

/dev/sbd would be the secondary disk - if you have one - and /dev/sdb1 would be the first partition and so on just like /dev/sda.

Your'e going to have a bit of a learning curve, but it will make sense to you soon

Good luck and enjoy :wink:
Well as it turned out I now no longer need to dual boot. Attempts to dual boot were met with a disaster. So I ended up formatting the HD and now have LM alone on the HD. Thanks for taking the time to fill me in, a bit concerning the /dev/sda. I'm just going to keep this PC as a LM model and hopefully, in time, I will be able, to boot other Distros on the HD. Hopefully I will be able to understand the parameters of LM. :? SM

spearmint
Level 1
Level 1

Post by spearmint » Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:16 pm

michael louwe wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:43 am
@ spearmint, .......
spearmint wrote:.
Which install method for LM did you use.? Is LM already installed alongside Win XP on your desktop.?
http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/

If you use the automatic "Install LM alongside Windows" method, the LM Installer will do the installation and disk-partitioning for you and you will be given the option to set the size of the LM system partition by moving the Slider on the colorful Partition Table. The default size is about 20GB. Only a / or Root and Swap partition will be auto-created.

If you use the manual "Something else" install method, you need to first shrink the Win XP system partition by using the built-in Windows Disk Partitioning Tool or the built-in GParted Tool from the Live LM media(= DVD or USB-stick) to create a desired free space for the coming LM system. Then ... viewtopic.php?f=42&t=122276 (manual partitioning Tutorial for Legacy BIOS mode and MBR/ms-dos disks). Ensure that the "Device for boot loader installation" is the internal hard-drive or /dev/sda.
....... The extra Home partition is for storing your settings and data, eg movies, music, photos, etc. A separate Home partition facilitates future LM upgrade installs, eg install LM 19.1 over LM 18.3 later = no need to reset your system/app settings and to backup your data.

Please provide details about your computer brand, model and specs. Or from the Live LM media, provide the Terminal output for inxi -Fxz and sudo parted -l. Eg 1GB or 1.5GB of RAM cannot properly run Cinnamon's 3D video-effects = use Xfce or Mate edition.
Used the Auto, initially since that went under. I just devoted this PC to LM as a hopefully enjoyable learning experience. Computer Specs is like MOBO Intel DQ45CB - Intel Dual Core E5300 2.8 Ghz CPU - 4GB Ram that had XP3. Homebuilt model. At this time I am not familiar with the menu and its applications. Such as how/where to find the system specs? Hope this helps?

Appreciate the input you have provided. Eventually this SC may get a handle on this. So far, it has been encouraging. Thank you!

WharfRat
Level 20
Level 20

Post by WharfRat » Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:20 pm

spearmint,

If you want to see some information about the newly installed system, open the terminal and run inxi -Fzxx
ImageImage

michael louwe
Level 9
Level 9

Post by michael louwe » Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:43 am

@ spearmint, .......
spearmint wrote:.Currently dev sda 1 ntfs is 22.2 - dev/sda7 ext 4 mint 20 GB - dev/sda 5 ext 4 mint 33.5 GB - dev/sda1 6 is swap 4.2. dev/sda is 80 GB. It probably would help if I knew what dev sda was pertaining to? What do I need to do before I run out of ext.

At this time I am not familiar with the menu and its applications. Such as how/where to find the system specs?
Ext4 is the Linux file system, similar to Windows's ntfs and fat32. Linux can read Windows files but Windows does not read Linux files = install Linux after Windows in order to dual-boot.

It's odd that you have an extra 33.5GB ext4 Linux partition at /dev/sda5. Did you do 2 install attempts using the automatic "install LM alongside Windows" method before succeeding to boot LM on the 2nd attempt.? This can be confirmed by going to >Menu >Accessories >Disks - check if both the /sda5 and /sda7 partitions are mounted as Root. If so, the 20GB ext4 Linux partition at /sda7 is redundant or failed. To fix this, the GParted program and manual "Something else" install method will have to be used. Alternatively, reinstall Win XP and then LM.
....... Or confirm by using the GParted program to look at the Partition table of the internal hard-drive = /dev/sda. The GParted program can be installed via Software Manager and it is also built-in to the Live LM media.
....... Keep in mind that the older BIOS install mode using MBR/ms-dos disks is limited to 4 Primary partitions and 2TB in disk size.

20GB for the / or Root partition should be sufficient to run LM, as long as you do not download and store more than a few bulky files like movies or ISO and do not run the Timeshift(= system restore) program.
....... This also applies to your Win XP SP3 system which has now dwindled to only 22.2GB in size.

For basic system specs, go to >Menu >Preferences >System Info

AZgl1500
Level 9
Level 9
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plains

Post by AZgl1500 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:15 pm

michael louwe wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:43 am

@michael, you mentioning this caused me to wonder again, where does the System Info get uploaded to?
I just now clicked on it to see "where is it going" but there was no mention other than "no personal info is included.

michael louwe
Level 9
Level 9

Post by michael louwe » Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:27 pm

@ AZgl1500, .......

No idea.

My LM 17.3 system does not have that box for Upload system information.

Please refer to ... viewtopic.php?t=259433 . Seems, for LM 18.3, you can "upload system information" directly to this forum.

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. » Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:06 pm

This is "feature" exists since 18.1 - and it is very badly designed.
  • The user has no information beforehand where the information gets uploaded.
  • The question, what gets uploaded and if this is "personal info" has to be in the decision of the user, and the user has to get this information beforehand.
  • At least the machine name can be a privacy issue. So far the promise, that no personal information is included, is not fully true. :evil:
  • There should be a confirmation page, after the button has been clicked. At least there the above mentioned information should be given.
  • The user should have the ability to delete the uploaded data.

spearmint
Level 1
Level 1

Post by spearmint » Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:40 pm

WharfRat wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:20 pm
spearmint,

If you want to see some information about the newly installed system, open the terminal and run inxi -Fzxx
That I'll do as I slowly get familiar with menus. terminologies, browsers, etc. Interesting hopefully I can open the terminal an apply the command. Thanks for taking the time to mention this as I'm sort of looking forward to seeing what comes up or rather what happens. :)

spearmint
Level 1
Level 1

Post by spearmint » Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:14 pm

WharfRat wrote:
spearmint,

That I'll do as I slowly get familiar with menus. terminologies, browsers, etc. Interesting hopefully I can open the terminal an apply the command. Thanks for taking the time to mention this as I'm sort of looking forward to seeing what comes up or rather what happens. :)
michael louwe wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:43 am
@ spearmint, .......
spearmint wrote:.Currently dev sda 1 ntfs is 22.2 - dev/sda7 ext 4 mint 20 GB - dev/sda 5 ext 4 mint 33.5 GB - dev/sda1 6 is swap 4.2. dev/sda is 80 GB. It probably would help if I knew what dev sda was pertaining to? What do I need to do before I run out of ext.

At this time I am not familiar with the menu and its applications. Such as how/where to find the system specs?
Ext4 is the Linux file system, similar to Windows's ntfs and fat32. Linux can read Windows files but Windows does not read Linux files = install Linux after Windows in order to dual-boot.

It's odd that you have an extra 33.5GB ext4 Linux partition at /dev/sda5. Did you do 2 install attempts using the automatic "install LM alongside Windows" method before succeeding to boot LM on the 2nd attempt.? This can be confirmed by going to >Menu >Accessories >Disks - check if both the /sda5 and /sda7 partitions are mounted as Root. If so, the 20GB ext4 Linux partition at /sda7 is redundant or failed. To fix this, the GParted program and manual "Something else" install method will have to be used. Alternatively, reinstall Win XP and then LM.
....... Or confirm by using the GParted program to look at the Partition table of the internal hard-drive = /dev/sda. The GParted program can be installed via Software Manager and it is also built-in to the Live LM media.
....... Keep in mind that the older BIOS install mode using MBR/ms-dos disks is limited to 4 Primary partitions and 2TB in disk size.

20GB for the / or Root partition should be sufficient to run LM, as long as you do not download and store more than a few bulky files like movies or ISO and do not run the Timeshift(= system restore) program.
....... This also applies to your Win XP SP3 system which has now dwindled to only 22.2GB in size.

Somewhere/somehow I installed it twice using the automatic install LM alongside Windows. This more than likely came about when I presumed I might be able to figure out how to set this up during the Auto. It therefore became too overwelling. Not being familiar with GParted, Sda, Ext, Etc. So I just formatted the HD and decided this would be my LM PC and hopefully by spending a little time to work with the LM PC model that I now have set up. At present I have my main PC XP that I do most of my communications.

LM has been a pleasant surprize and I believe, once I can get the Linux essentials down it will do most everything I need and eventually take over as #1 OS.

Years ago I purchased Xandros 3 or 4 when it came out, to replace XP. Still have the package, but I could never get very comfortable with it. Just too overwelling for me to learn the Linux parameters. LM is nicely done and the Forum has been outstanding. Thanks for the assistance. SM

spearmint
Level 1
Level 1

Post by spearmint » Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:24 pm

spearmint wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:40 pm
WharfRat wrote:
spearmint,

Code: Select all

System:    Host: linuxmint Kernel: 4.10.0-38-generic i686 (32 bit gcc: 5.4.0)
           Desktop: Cinnamon 3.6.6 (Gtk 3.18.9-1ubuntu3.3)
           Distro: Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia
Machine:   System: OIMERP product: GISD PC Workstation v: 1.0
           Mobo: Intel model: DQ45CB v: AAE30148-303
           Bios: Intel v: CBQ4510H.86A.0119.2010.0223.1522 date: 02/23/2010
CPU:       Dual core Pentium E5300 (-MCP-) cache: 2048 KB
           flags: (lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 10400
           clock speeds: max: 2600 MHz 1: 2600 MHz 2: 1200 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Intel 4 Series Integrated Graphics Controller bus-ID: 00:02.0
           Display Server: X.Org 1.18.4 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
           Resolution: 1152x864@75.00hz
           GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Q45/Q43 x86/MMX/SSE2
           GLX Version: 2.1 Mesa 17.0.7 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio:     Card Intel 82801JD/DO (ICH10 Family) HD Audio Controller
           driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.10.0-38-generic
Network:   Card: Intel 82567LM-3 Gigabit Network Connection
           driver: e1000e v: 3.2.6-k port: f0e0 bus-ID: 00:19.0
           IF: enp0s25 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 80.0GB (13.6% used)
           ID-1: /dev/sda model: ST3808110AS size: 80.0GB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 70G used: 6.5G (10%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda1
           ID-2: swap-1 size: 4.16GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda5
RAID:      No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 39.0C mobo: N/A
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info:      Processes: 178 Uptime: 1:28 Memory: 1171.0/3904.7MB
           Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 5.4.0
           Client: Shell (bash 4.3.481) inxi: 2.2.35 
This is my first adventure with the terminal window? Hope this helps to sort things out a bit? SM
Last edited by WharfRat on Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added code tag

spearmint
Level 1
Level 1

Post by spearmint » Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:49 pm

Pierre wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:17 am
installing LinuxMint along side of an existing win-xp - - is usually quite straight-forward.
8)
just use the Default options, that are available on the LinuxMint Installer itself.

this will give you a basic, but standard installation of the LinuxMint system.

the actual size of the LinuxMint partition will depend upon the PCs HDD size,
& there should be a screen, where you can move a sider-bar to select the size of each system.

if you need to, you can ask for advice on each & every step, in the Installer's menu.
:)

once you have successfully installed LinuxMint, then do only use that for your Internet connection,
and keep that win-xp Off-Line as much as possible.
Thanks for the heads up Pierre! May have to do just that :)

michael louwe
Level 9
Level 9

Post by michael louwe » Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:24 am

@ spearmint, .......
spearmint wrote:Years ago I purchased Xandros 3 or 4 when it came out, to replace XP. Still have the package, but I could never get very comfortable with it. Just too overwelling for me to learn the Linux parameters. .
Yes, me too. Years ago, I tried Ubuntu 8 = too unuser-friendly for the average computer user, compared to Win XP, in terms of GUI. I gave up and remained with Win XP(= 2001-released). Ubuntu 12.04/LM 16.x in 2012 was the first Linux distros to be considered as user-friendly to the average computer users.

Imagine, it took more than 10 years for the free-of-charge Linux desktop OS to catch up with non-free Windows, in terms of user-friendliness. Linux likely needs a saviour or Windows/Win 10 to "commit suicide", eg LM acquired by Google.

Fyi, techy LM users prefer to have a separate Home partition to facilitate future OS upgrades, eg to install LM 19.1 over LM 18.3 or LM 19.3 over LM 19.0. The Home partition mostly stores users' system and app settings, and data(eg movies, music, documents, etc). By retaining the Home partition during an upgrade install, the users do not need to reset their system and app settings. During the upgrade install, they only need to format/over-write the separate Root partition. The Swap partition can also be retained.

In your case, the automatic "Erase disk and install LM" method resulted in the Home partition being joined to the Root partition as one single / partition. There is the other Swap partition.
....... The manual "Something else" install method allows users to create a separate Home partition and Root(/) partition. When running Timeshift, the snapshots or restore points can be set to be stored on the separate Home partition = better chance of a successful system restore after a system problem.

Return to “Newbie Questions”