Back in Time

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Back in Time

Post by AZgl1800 »

by AZgl1500 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:26 am
Cosmo. wrote: ⤴
Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:47 am
My recommendation for backing up your home is Back in Time. Extremely flexible and able to back up automatically.
Got a question on Back in Time:

what value is it, if it won't recognize a USB drive so the backups can be stored off PC?

If I can't keep my backups off PC, then I won't use it.

by Cosmo. » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:30 am
This question deserves an own thread with more information (does the drive show in the system / file manager?). So here I only say, that I use an USB (3) drive as backup target regularly with BiT.

and yes, the USB-3 drive is attached, and Nemo sees it, and it is also displayed on the Desktop.

Kernel: 4.13.0-38-generic x86_64 (64 bit)
Desktop: Cinnamon 3.6.7 Distro: Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia
john@john-TP500LA ~ $
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Back in Time

Post by deepakdeshp »

If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

that ended up as useless,

they show an external drive, but it does not work for me.

then as a 2nd thought, I went to the Root/ media ..... and finally it got to the drive.

then started the mess of trying to get it to select the folders, nope, it keeps opening up and wanting to select "files".

enough of that, back to LuckyBackup... it works plain and simple.'
going to uninstall it as useless.
closed
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

AZgl1500 wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:20 pm enough of that, back to LuckyBackup.
Your decision. But it sounds, as if you are not really interested.
AZgl1500 wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:20 pm then started the mess of trying to get it to select the folders, nope, it keeps opening up and wanting to select "files".
Whatever this means. Without a reproducible description nobody can clear the mystery, where "it" wants to select files. Obviously a backup profile needs to know, what you want to backup, in the case, that this is meant.

As you started this thread with a quoted recommendation by me, I do point out: I strongly recommend BiT and it does work as described. Possible questions are definitely answerable, but not without some interest and a proper description of the problem.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Back in Time - closed, not interested, too convoluted

Post by AZgl1800 »

I like to investigate everything I see, but when it came to BiT selecting the folders, it just kept opening up and drilling down deeper and deeper.

once you select "Document" it should stop right there and add that to the Profile.

LuckyBackup does.

if I can get it to work, I will use it along with LuckyBackup.... I have a 6TB extUSB HDD drive, so am not concerned over-kill
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Back in Time - closed, not interested, too convoluted

Post by Cosmo. »

BiT does this for me also. Just as shown in the first picture of the linked documentation.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

Okay guys....

Egg on Face here..... it is called Pilot Error by the FAA, or to a Redneck, it is Cockpit Failure :oops:

My first experience with it was sort of overwhelming, but it is running right now.

Last edited by AZgl1800 on Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

when it finishes,
I need to name the profile, I think hit a wrong button and that screen disappeared.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Congratulations. I knew, that it will work. I see in the picture by the progress bar at the bottom of the window, that is not only installed and configured, but also working.
slipstick
Level 6
Level 6

Post by slipstick »

Congratulations. I have been using it for some time and it works very well for me. I have even figured out a use for the different profile capability. I dual boot (actually triple boot with W7, but that's irrelevant) with LM 17.3 and 18.3. I did this in order to make the transition from 17 to 18 easier, so I could take my time setting up 18 and still have 17 to use until 18 was up and running. Now I'm mostly only using 18, but keeping 17 as a backup. When I install 19, it will replace 17 and I will use 18 until 19 is up and running, and the same for 20 and so on. So I have a / and a /home partition for each installation (probably don't need a separate home, but that's the way I started and see no particular reason to change). In addition, I have a Data partition which is shared between the two systems, mounted to /home/Data on each one. I moved my thunderbird profile (xxxxxxxx.default) and my firefox profile (yyyyyyyy.default) to ~/Data/.thunderbird and ~/Data/.firefox (had to whitelist ~/Data/.firefox in the firejail config. file to get that to work) and connected them to the home .thunderbird and .firefox folders by symbolic links. This means I can use my browser and email client just as easily from one system as the other and not worry about syncing the emails or bookmarks.

So for backup, on LM 17, I use the main profile for backing up /home to profile 1, and a Data profile to back up the ~/Data partition to profile 3. On LM18, I use the main profile to back up /home to profile 2 and the Data profile to back up ~/Data to profile 3. The backup drive, an external USB HDD, has three folders, one for each of the three profiles. In addition, I occasionally transfer my BIT backups from the external USB drive to another computer on my network, via ssh as an additional backup. For this, I have written a shell script, launched from a launcher on my desktop.

Code: Select all

#!/bin/bash

# Get menu selection

clear
echo "
Select an option:
1. Update /home snapshots to profile 2 on backup pc
2. Update Data snapshots to profile 3 on backup pc
3. Update both /home and Data snapshots on backup pc
0. Quit
"

read -p "Enter selection [0-3] > "

case $REPLY in
	0)	echo "Program terminated."
		exit
		;;
	1)	echo "Updating /home snapshots (log file is ~/home_snapshot_list)."
		rsync -aAuHXvis --progress --delete --numeric-ids -e ssh --exclude=lost+found /media/steve/Ext_Backup/backintime/steve-Z97X/steve/2/ steve@steve-desktop.local:/home/steve/Backup/backintime/steve-Z97X/steve/2 | tee  ~/home_snapshot_list
		;;
	2)	echo "Updating Data snapshots (log file is ~/data_snapshot_list)."
		rsync -aAuHXvis --progress --delete --numeric-ids -e ssh --exclude=lost+found /media/steve/Ext_Backup/backintime/steve-Z97X/steve/3/ steve@steve-desktop.local:/home/steve/Backup/backintime/steve-Z97X/steve/3 | tee  ~/data_snapshot_list
		;;
	3)	echo "Updating /home and Data snapshots (log files are ~/home_snapshot_list and ~/data_snapshot_list)."
		rsync -aAuHXvis --progress --delete --numeric-ids -e ssh --exclude=lost+found /media/steve/Ext_Backup/backintime/steve-Z97X/steve/2/ steve@steve-desktop.local:/home/steve/Backup/backintime/steve-Z97X/steve/2 | tee  ~/home_snapshot_list
		echo "Finished updating /home snapshots - now starting update of Data snapshots"
		sleep 5
		rsync -aAuHXvis --progress --delete --numeric-ids -e ssh --exclude=lost+found /media/steve/Ext_Backup/backintime/steve-Z97X/steve/3/ steve@steve-desktop.local:/home/steve/Backup/backintime/steve-Z97X/steve/3 | tee  ~/data_snapshot_list
		;;
	*)	echo "Invalid entry" >&2
		exit 1
		;;
esac

echo "Finished"
sleep 10
exit 0

In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they ain't.

Return to “Beginner Questions”