is python3-pip a good package to use? [Solved]

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
james_1830

is python3-pip a good package to use? [Solved]

Post by james_1830 »

Hello all,

As you probably guessed, I am a noob to linux. I am a Software Engineer student exploring and learning programming. I dabbled a little in python, but I want to install different python modules. From my windows experience, I know pip comes with installing python. However, at least in Ubuntu and LInux Mint, you need to install a python package installer to get python modules. Python3-pip seems like a good package to use. However, from my research, I believe Linux Mint gets many package from Ubuntu, and Ubuntu gets many of its packages from Debian. On the Ubuntu launchpad site I looked at the date release of python-pip for the Ubutntu Xenial version. It was released in April of 2016. Correct me if I am wrong, I am assuming that if I download python3-pip from the software manager onto my linux mint, I will be getting a package that hasn't been updated since 2016. I believe that those who maintain python have already updated pip multiple times since then.

Even though python3-pip may be a few years old, will it download python modules safely, securely and accurately from PyPI? Will it install the packages on my system correctly?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Re: is python3-pip a good package to use?

Post by deepakdeshp »

pip and pip3 are the modules for Python 2.7 and 3.x respectively.
Look up the information about anaconda too.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
james_1830

Post by james_1830 »

Thank you, deepakdeshp for responding to my post.

I know that pip and pip3 are the official modules for downloading python modules. My concern is that the package python3-pip may not work properly. Hopefully, this concern is overly thought out.

From an article in the Python Software Foundation website, https://packaging.python.org/guides/ins ... nux-tools/, the article talks about getting pip for Linux. In the first four paragraphs, it notes that Linux Distributions may have outdated pip software in their repository, and the Linux Distributions may alter pip for security reasons, so it could cause some bugs in the software. If this is true, then the python3-pip package in the Linux Mint could have some alterations to it, for security reasons. This would make the code base of python3-pip a little different from the pip that comes officially from the Python Software Foundation, so it might not download packages correctly. In addition, it looks like the package has not been updated in a few years, https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/xenial/arm64/python3-pip . This would make the python3-pip software outdated, so python3-pip may not be secure as it was, in its last release of 2016.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

HI james_1830,

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

It would help to know more about your system setup. If you run "inxi -Fxzd" and "lsusb" from the console terminal prompt, highlight the results, copy and paste them back here, that should provide enough information.

"Python-pip" (Python ver2.x) and "python3-pip" can be used for many things, including installing various python modules and python applications.

I would highly recommend installing both the python ver2 and ver3 development packages and the typical compiling packages. These are the commands below that I use for that. After installing the python packages, the python pip commands can update themselves as well. And, a lot of applications are developed in python, so installing these will help with various application dependencies as well.

To install these open a console terminal, type in, or copy & paste, each line below one by one: Click "Select All" above command, right-click the highlighted command, select Copy (or Ctrl+Insert), click in the console terminal window, and right click paste (or Shift+Insert), repeat for each command.

Code: Select all

sudo apt install build-essential cmake wget curl git checkinstall

sudo apt-get install python-all-dev python-wheel python-setuptools python-pip python-numpy

sudo apt-get install python3-all-dev python3-wheel python3-setuptools python3-pip python3-numpy

From Python developers - bookmark this website
Installation — pip 10.0.1 documentation
https://pip.pypa.io/en/stable/installing/

pip install -U pip
python - How to upgrade pip to latest? - Ask Ubuntu
https://askubuntu.com/questions/712339/ ... -to-latest

sudo -H pip3 install --upgrade pip

sudo -H pip2 install --upgrade pip

Updating or upgrading installed packages using either pip or pip3
A `pip` hack to upgrade all your Python packages – Hacker Noon
https://hackernoon.com/a-pip-hack-to-up ... 2658c49681

sudo pip install [package_name] --upgrade
or in short

sudo pip3 install [package_name] -u

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & xKDE (Mint Xfce + Kubuntu KDE) & KDE Neon 64-bit (new based on Ubuntu 20.04) Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573) 2 in 1 touch screen, Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, Intel 4 Graphics.
james_1830

Post by james_1830 »

Hi phd21,

Thank you for taking the time to respond to me. I will look into all these commands. You pretty much answered my question. Your answer makes sense. I just need to upgrade pip using pip.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi james_1830,

You are welcome...

That's correct...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & xKDE (Mint Xfce + Kubuntu KDE) & KDE Neon 64-bit (new based on Ubuntu 20.04) Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573) 2 in 1 touch screen, Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, Intel 4 Graphics.

Return to “Beginner Questions”