(SOLVED) INITRAMSF! Nothing works anymore, can't even load live usb. Can only reach grub.

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
winxpwasgreat
Level 3
Level 3

(SOLVED) INITRAMSF! Nothing works anymore, can't even load live usb. Can only reach grub.

Post by winxpwasgreat » Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:10 am

Here we go again. 17.3 cinnamon user here.
Last thing I remember is a lock appeared on all my files icons which made me think the system didn't see me as root anymore.
Rebooted.

And then the nightmare: nothing works anymore.
- loading current or previous kernel result in initramsf prompt beebox (or whatever it is) where I can do nothing
- live usb of 18.3 result in the Mint logo forever loading

What to do? Do I have to throw my computer away.
Last edited by winxpwasgreat on Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:05 am, edited 2 times in total.

anjomor
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Nothing works anymore, can't even load live usb. Can only reach grub.

Post by anjomor » Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:08 am

Have you tried to ask for a technical support?

winxpwasgreat
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Nothing works anymore, can't even load live usb. Can only reach grub.

Post by winxpwasgreat » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:05 am

I live in a tier 2 city in China, I wish there was someone I could pay to fix this but haven't found any computer technician who can speak English and knows about Linux Mint.

michael louwe
Level 9
Level 9

Re: INITRAMSF! Nothing works anymore, can't even load live usb. Can only reach grub.

Post by michael louwe » Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:02 am

@ winxpwasgreat, .......
winxpwasgreat wrote:.
Try using a Live LM 17.x DVD/USB because the newer LM 18.x may not work on very old Win XP-era computers.

Could be that you got hit with a Ransomware = all your files get locked. But because the Ransomware could not get root access to your LM system, it could not show you how to pay the ransom to unlock your files. If so, to fix this requires a reinstall or re-image or system restore(eg Timeshift).

Pierre
Level 17
Level 17

Re: INITRAMSF! Nothing works anymore, can't even load live usb. Can only reach grub.

Post by Pierre » Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:49 am

that Ransomware is more of an Windows based System issue.
:(

@ winxpwasgreat, - - you should now boot from a LinuxMint Live Environment,
in order to check your PCs HDD status + the status of the files on that HDD, as well.

also2: you maybe better off in using the LInuxMint Mate version,
rather than the Cinnamon version, that you are currently using . .
8)
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

winxpwasgreat
Level 3
Level 3

Post by winxpwasgreat » Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:25 am

The computer is only 2 years old.
But I'll give a go to 17.3 live usb.
Any trusted source to download 17.3 xfce live?

I don't think it's a ransomware issue.

The computer just doesn't start anymore, it just stops at that INITRAMSF box.
If I boot by live usb of 18.3 xfce, it stops after the linux mint logo appears on dark background.

michael louwe
Level 9
Level 9

Post by michael louwe » Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:01 am

@ winxpwasgreat, .......
Which program did you use to create the Live LM 18.3 USB.?

Did you use disk encryption.?
Last edited by michael louwe on Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

trytip
Level 8
Level 8

Post by trytip » Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:52 am

we don't know if it's a laptop or tower pc, most likely your bios is uefi. if it's a laptop take out the battery for about 20 seconds if it's a tower take out the round battery of motherboard and clear CMOS if you know how (should be on your support page of motherboard) have you tried any other live linux if it's work? you probably put the computer into standby or hibernate and memory got corrupted.
take out the RAM and boot with no RAM to let it spit out errors then put it back

asinoro
Level 4
Level 4

Post by asinoro » Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:29 pm

Try this.
https://www.supergrubdisk.org/super-grub2-disk/
and give us more info.
Run this command and post it by copy and paste selecting the symbol </> at forum text editor as it is the code below.

Code: Select all

sudo parted -l ; inxi -Fxxxz ; lsblk --sort name --output name,label,partlabel,size,fstype,mountpoint,state ; blkid ; mokutil --sb-state

asinoro
Level 4
Level 4

Post by asinoro » Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:51 pm

Try first from grub > advance options > recovery mode > fsck

winxpwasgreat
Level 3
Level 3

Post by winxpwasgreat » Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:27 am

asinoro wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:51 pm
Try first from grub > advance options > recovery mode > fsck
From grub I am able to load the installed kernels in recovery mode but all of them end up in initramsf. No way to run fsck. Can I do it from live cd?

winxpwasgreat
Level 3
Level 3

Post by winxpwasgreat » Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:28 am

asinoro wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:29 pm
Try this.
https://www.supergrubdisk.org/super-grub2-disk/
and give us more info.
Run this command and post it by copy and paste selecting the symbol </> at forum text editor as it is the code below.

sudo parted -l ; inxi -Fxxxz ; lsblk --sort name --output name,label,partlabel,size,fstype,mountpoint,state ; blkid ; mokutil --sb-state
Thank you - tried to run it from initramsf and nothing happened. I can't even access to terminal. So no idea how to install super grub 2. Perhaps from live cd and then run it from there?

winxpwasgreat
Level 3
Level 3

Post by winxpwasgreat » Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:32 am

trytip wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:52 am
we don't know if it's a laptop or tower pc, most likely your bios is uefi. if it's a laptop take out the battery for about 20 seconds if it's a tower take out the round battery of motherboard and clear CMOS if you know how (should be on your support page of motherboard) have you tried any other live linux if it's work? you probably put the computer into standby or hibernate and memory got corrupted.
take out the RAM and boot with no RAM to let it spit out errors then put it back
Thank you for the battery tip, but didn't work. It's a laptop. I don't know how to clear CMOS though, I just removed the battery for a couple or hours.
Usb live of 18.3 xfce does not work. Cd live of cinnamon 17.3 (actually also my current distro) works.
Interesting tip about the ram.. will try and let you know.

Edit:
Crap, even disassembling, removing the ram module, turning on and off, reinserting the ram, turning on again.. still back to initramsf.
Thank you anyway - it was good to learn how to disassemble a laptop with youtube guide, I'll try this next time there's a similar problem.

But still got the problem.
Last edited by winxpwasgreat on Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

winxpwasgreat
Level 3
Level 3

Post by winxpwasgreat » Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:33 am

michael louwe wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:01 am
@ winxpwasgreat, .......
Which program did you use to create the Live LM 18.3 USB.?

Did you use disk encryption.?
Didn't use disk encryption.
I don't remember the name of the program I used to convert the image into a bootable usb but it was one little app already preloaded in my 17.3 cinnamon.

winxpwasgreat
Level 3
Level 3

Post by winxpwasgreat » Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:24 am

The problem I get when trying to run the live usb 18.3 xfce is Initramsf unpacking failed: LZMA data is corrupt. Plus another 50 lines of errors and negative words such as "panic", "ACPI error", failed, unable, not found, etc.
Possibly the usb wasn't successfully set up by the preloaded program I had to convert a disk image into a live usb. Which really pisses me off once again.

Thanks goodness I still had the original installation cd of 17.3 cinnamon so I can run that live version. Not sure what to do with it to restore the whole system though

michael louwe
Level 9
Level 9

Post by michael louwe » Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:37 am

@ winxpwasgreat, .......
Since you can boot the Live LM 17.3 DVD, that means your laptop is OK. The problem should lie with the USB Image/ISO Writing program. Please refer to ...
http://www.rodsbooks.com/efi-bootloader ... ting-media
https://etcher.io/
(Creating EFI-Bootable USB Drives)

winxpwasgreat
Level 3
Level 3

Post by winxpwasgreat » Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:46 am

michael louwe wrote:
Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:37 am
@ winxpwasgreat, .......
Since you can boot the Live LM 17.3 DVD, that means your laptop is OK. The problem should lie with the USB Image/ISO Writing program. Please refer to ...
http://www.rodsbooks.com/efi-bootloader ... ting-media
https://etcher.io/
(Creating EFI-Bootable USB Drives)
I see but is there a way to recover my system?
Or I just have to reinstall linux mint and lose all my files and settings.

asinoro
Level 4
Level 4

Post by asinoro » Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:55 am

winxpwasgreat wrote:
Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:24 am
The problem I get when trying to run the live usb 18.3 xfce is Initramsf unpacking failed: LZMA data is corrupt. Plus another 50 lines of errors and negative words such as "panic", "ACPI error", failed, unable, not found, etc.
Possibly the usb wasn't successfully set up by the preloaded program I had to convert a disk image into a live usb. Which really pisses me off once again.

Thanks goodness I still had the original installation cd of 17.3 cinnamon so I can run that live version. Not sure what to do with it to restore the whole system though
Try this from cd of 17.3 cinnamon.

sudo su
Find your os partition with,

blkid
and then,

fsck -y /dev/sdxx
where sdxx is your os root partition,
after that
reboot

trytip
Level 8
Level 8

Post by trytip » Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:28 am

i would try a new usb if you can and use something else to burn the image. try http://wiki.rosalab.ru/en/index.php/ROS ... take_it.3F
FIRST be sure you can spare a usb stick and use the CLEAR button to clear the first sectors of the usb. this will make the usb invisible until you use a disk format utility. after you use CLEAR just open a linux live image you want on that usb and select write

ps: to get back your usb (it will delete the live session) use the clear option again then open gparted or gnome-disk-utility and format it

winxpwasgreat
Level 3
Level 3

Post by winxpwasgreat » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:54 am

asinoro wrote:
Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:55 am
winxpwasgreat wrote:
Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:24 am

Try this from cd of 17.3 cinnamon.

sudo su
Find your os partition with,

blkid
and then,

fsck -y /dev/sdxx
where sdxx is your os root partition,
after that
reboot
YES! it worked to get out of the initramsf nightmare!
Looked all over China for someone to help and nobody could, but you did.

System still crashes in fallback mode but at least I can save all my files and settings and then restart afresh with 18.3.

Thank you Asinoro, great to know how to fsck from live cd.

Return to “Newbie Questions”