need a equalizer? MUST see, BEST EQ

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
jamesb7a
Level 3
Level 3

need a equalizer? MUST see, BEST EQ

Post by jamesb7a » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:39 pm

didnt know if this is the place to post this so administrators feel free to move this to correct forum, this is not a question but a huge reccomendation for anyone wanting the best EQ on any system Ive tried, this is a third octave EQ and LOTS more that Ive just tested our on my high output stereo system. go to your software manager and type in "pulseEffects". it takes about 3-7 minutes to install all the dependancies. this is the perfect EQ if you are an audiofile or obsessed with your sound. . ENJOY!!

Flemur
Level 15
Level 15

Re: need a equalizer? MUST see, BEST EQ

Post by Flemur » Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:16 pm

jamesb7a wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:39 pm
go to your software manager and type in "pulseEffects".

Code: Select all

$ apt-cache search pulseEffects
$
Synaptic hasn't heard of "pulseEffects" either.

Did you mean package libasound2-plugin-equal ?
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
Mint 18.3 Xfce/fluxbox/pulse-less
Xubuntu 17.10/fluxbox/pulse-less

jamesb7a
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jamesb7a » Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:20 pm

let me add some notes here: 1) if you already have the regular pulseaudio EQ you must disable it first....both EQ's cant run at the same time. 2) in the effects EQ you must enable for each application....if you are playing VLC player you must enable for it as well as for your browser ( chrome or firefox).

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. » Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:24 pm

jamesb7a wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:39 pm
it takes about 3-7 minutes to install all the dependancies
Really? Wow

jamesb7a
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jamesb7a » Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:28 pm

flemur, I already had the pulseaudio EQ that I could only get using the terminal, then I typed in "pulseEffects" and it showed up on my software manager. to get the FIRST EQ I typed this into the terminal "sudo add-apt-repository ppa:nilarimogard/webupd8".....THEN type "apt update" THEN type "apt install pulseaudio-equalizer".

jamesb7a
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jamesb7a » Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:31 pm

cosmo, yes on 2 of my PC's it took 3-7 minutes, I thought it was broke but waited and it worked, NEVER have had to wait that long to install anything. from my timeshift afterwards I believe it installed 2500+ dependancies.

Flemur
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Flemur » Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:35 pm

jamesb7a wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:28 pm
flemur, I already had the pulseaudio EQ that I could only get using the terminal, then I typed in "pulseEffects" and it showed up on my software manager.
Oops, I uninstalled that, but reinstalled it as a test and yup, "pulseEffects" shows up.
Here's a page about it:
https://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2017/06/ins ... ubuntu-ppa
to get the FIRST EQ I typed this into the terminal "sudo add-apt-repository ppa:nilarimogard/webupd8".....THEN type "apt update" THEN type "apt install pulseaudio-equalizer".
THAT'S the proper instructions to install, thanks!
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
Mint 18.3 Xfce/fluxbox/pulse-less
Xubuntu 17.10/fluxbox/pulse-less

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. » Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:13 pm

jamesb7a wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:31 pm
I believe it installed 2500+ dependancies.
Double wow. Not even mint-meta-kde or k3b in a Cinnamon system get only partially close to it (they pull hardly 100 dependencies).

jamesb7a
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jamesb7a » Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:43 pm

PROBLEMS have come up after further testing, and I need the help of you vetarens. Im playing my music through the pulse effects for about an hour on my 2nd machine and after going from a small VLC screen to full screen the pictute went black but the sound was OK ( toggled between minimise and full screen). then I shut the player off and started up a new song in VLC player....perfect sound but black screen. then I started up the SM player and it crashed shortly thereafter with hollow screen but perfect sound, then I started up media player and mpv player and they run perfect sound and video. THEN I restarted the PC and the vlc player runs perfect without the pulse effects....then I turn on pulse effects and shortly after resizing the player like described above again the picture goes black with perfect sound. whats going on?? Thanks.

jamesb7a
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jamesb7a » Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:24 pm

here is some more info, I just removed the pulse effects, did the bleachbit then restarted the PC, everything runs fine with the first pulseaudio EQ as it has for the past 1+ years. this machine is a 8 year old dell, my other 7 year old acer duel core very cheap slow processor PC ran the pulse effects EQ perfectly for 1.5 hours this afternoon with no problems, Im thinking it may be this old dell's video card? or drivers not being up to par??. anyway Im going to do lots more testing on the acer PC in the coming days. in the worst case scenerio all you have to do is spend 1 minute uninstalling the pulse effects EQ and hang on to the regular pulse EQ ( THATS the one you get when you type in the code into terminal thats listed in my earlier posts.) . IMO the regular pulse audio EQ is a very good EQ but not quite as good as the pulse effects.

jimallyn
Level 18
Level 18

Post by jimallyn » Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:50 pm

Just curious, why did you run bleachbit? I haven't seen anything in what you wrote here that would suggest running bleachbit would be necessary.

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

jamesb7a
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jamesb7a » Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:57 am

bleachbit is not necessary to run, I just run it to clean things up a bit after uninstalling something or every month or so just to free up any space

Hoser Rob
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Hoser Rob » Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:30 am

jamesb7a wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:43 pm
PROBLEMS have come up after further testing ....
THIS is why beginners should take titles like "need a equalizer? MUST see, BEST EQ" with a big grain of salt. The same personb who posted reports problems with it less than 1 day later.

jamesb7a
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jamesb7a » Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:40 am

hoser rob I disagee. this EQ obviously works for a lot of people as the page about the EQ said. the only error was mine in not testing it out on at least 2 machines for a longer time period before posting, Im in the process of more testing now on a different PC, Ill report back in a few days. NO program or apt is going to work on 100% of PC's, every apt will screw up on at least .5%+ of pc's. for instance, last week I tested out linux lite on one machine, almost nothing worked and after 2 hours I said to heck with it and reloaded linux mint mate on the PC and everything worked perfectly. does this mean linux lite is junk?? NO!, it just means that on the one machine I tested it out on I was disapointed and things didnt work. lots of people love linux lite.. what I want to hear from are other users who have installed pulse effects and whether it worked for them or not.

jamesb7a
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jamesb7a » Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:33 pm

ok, I have finished about 5-6 more hours of testing on my old acer desktop with 2 core cheap processor plus a 3rd pc thats a lenova i5 processor thats 3 years old running mint xfce 18.3. on both of these machines the pulse effects runs perfectly with no vlc player picture dropouts. . Im guessing this pulse effects advanced EQ will work perfectly on 70%-95% of machines. some IMPORTANT notes however!:

1) when you are in the equalizer section of the interface you MUST adjust the input and output levels to avoid clipping your PC sound card amp. do this by keeping the highest peaks in the middle section of the graph.

2) your regular pulse audio EQ MUST be turned off first, you cant run both at the same time.

3) each application ( vlc player, chrome browser, etc.) must be tuened on individually in both applications and EQ.

4) this is an advanced EQ for sound fanatics and pro's. if you are looking for a very good easy regular EQ I suggest sticking with the regular pulse audio EQ that I gave the terminal commands for in the above posts, this regular pulseaudio EQ has never failed me in over a year on 4 machines.

5) if this pulse effects EQ doesnt qork on your machine and screws something up simply go to software manager, type in the pulse effects and uninstall it, this only takes 1 minute and your system will be back to normal.

I2k4
Level 4
Level 4

Post by I2k4 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:04 pm

Googled and don't see any documentation. I've used the system-wide PulseAudio Equalizer for years on versions of Mint, but would be willing to look at something interesting. The link here goes to an "announcement" that this PulseEffect exists, with a blowup of the GUI. The verious controls look interesting, but I won't normally sit there adjusting sound for every playback session or track. The old PulseAudio has a list of the "usual" music genre presets, but also lets the user fiddle with sliders and build and save a preset for future use. The main use I have is saving different equalizer settings for a) crummy PC box or laptop internal speakers, versus b) jacking in a good peripheral speaker / woofer system, and c) sometimes headphones. The old PulseAudio equalizer handles customized presets, can't tell if I can define and save custom presets on this cool new equalizer.
TRUST BUT VERIFY any advice from anybody, including me. Ubuntu / Mint user since 10.04 LTS. M17.3 Cinnamon (Dell 1520). Dual booting M17.3 XFCE / W7 (Acer netbook) and M18.3 Cinnamon / W7 (Lenovo desktop). Testing M19.x 64bit on live USB.

jamesb7a
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jamesb7a » Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:30 pm

the new pulse effects eq does not allow you to have 2+ eq curves, only one at a time and no presets

Return to “Newbie Questions”