Cinnamon lagging

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
wichowolf

Cinnamon lagging

Post by wichowolf »

Hi! I'm new to Linux mint and I'm using mint Sylvia 18.3 cinnamon desktop. Lately my Cinnamon desktop environment has been lagging a lot. Even if I only have two apps open like Chrome and LibreOffice. Mouse movement is 100% fine; however everything else freezes. It's getting extremely annoying. Between the lags it works as it should.
The output of inxi -F is

Code: Select all

lc@lc-linux ~ $ inxi -F
System:    Host: lc-linux Kernel: 4.10.0-38-generic x86_64 (64 bit)
           Desktop: Cinnamon 3.6.6  Distro: Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia
Machine:   System: HP (portable) product: HP Stream 11 Pro G4 EE
           Mobo: HP model: 8426 v: 65.06 Bios: Insyde v: F.02 date: 10/19/2017
CPU:       Dual core Intel Celeron N3350 (-MCP-) cache: 1024 KB 
           clock speeds: max: 2400 MHz 1: 1443 MHz 2: 1443 MHz 3: 1633 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Intel Device 5a85
           Display Server: X.Org 1.18.4 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
           Resolution: 1366x768@60.06hz
           GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel HD Graphics 500 (Broxton 2x6)
           GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 17.0.7
Audio:     Card Intel Device 5a98 driver: snd_hda_intel
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.10.0-38-generic
Network:   Card: Intel Wireless 7265 driver: iwlwifi
           IF: wlo1 state: up mac: 00:e1:8c:b4:12:b1
Drives:    HDD Total Size: NA (-) ID-1: /dev/mmcblk0 model: N/A size: 62.5GB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 53G used: 13G (25%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/mmcblk0p2
           ID-2: swap-1 size: 4.13GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/dm-0
RAID:      No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 52.0C mobo: N/A
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info:      Processes: 217 Uptime: 1 day Memory: 2008.1/3790.4MB
           Client: Shell (bash) inxi: 2.2.35 
Linux is installed on an SSD, I have 4 GB DDR3L SDRAM and 1.10 GHz.
I failed to find any useful about the problem on-line, and as a new Linux user I don't have an idea on where to look. What could be the solution? Thanks for your help.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Tomgin5
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Cinnamon lagging

Post by Tomgin5 »

Things look OK but the SSD is on the small side. Did you install all of the drivers? Also any more updates via the Update manager? Only other thing might be to try reseating your RAM sticks. BTW I am running Cinnamon on a dozen laptops and desktops, and have done installs on over 200 systems in the last year and a half. No Lags except a couple of 32 bit systems over 10 years old.
If you do not have the home filled up yet try a re-install.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Tomgin5 wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:14 pm Things look OK but the SSD is on the small side. Did you install all of the drivers?
It's not an SSD, and there is no need for drivers.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

wichowolf wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:54 pm

lc@lc-linux ~ $ inxi -F
Your machine is under-powered for a DE like Cinnamon, which is a resource hog. You should try Mint MATE, or even Mint Xfce.

Just fyi, the MMC device you have the OS installed on is a flash card soldered to the motherboard. It's not an SSD.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

Hi wichowolf, and welcome to the forum.

Try the suggestions at this site from forum member Pjotr: https://sites.google.com/site/easylinux ... n-Cinnamon

You should also upgrade your kernel to the latest in the 4.13 series.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

I'm with catweazal - I've got a Chromebook with that processor - and ChromeOS is pretty laggy on it.

The drive is also pretty full as is RAM in that particular inxi - report.

I note the system has been running for a while. Does Ctrl-Alt-Esc to restart cinnamon help improve performance - even if only a short time?

If so check cinnamon's memory use with top both just after a restart and then later when the system starts lagging.

Any applets/desklets/extensions active other than the defaults?
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
wichowolf

Post by wichowolf »

Tomgin5 wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:14 pm Things look OK but the SSD is on the small side. Did you install all of the drivers? Also any more updates via the Update manager? Only other thing might be to try reseating your RAM sticks. BTW I am running Cinnamon on a dozen laptops and desktops, and have done installs on over 200 systems in the last year and a half. No Lags except a couple of 32 bit systems over 10 years old.
If you do not have the home filled up yet try a re-install.
Thank you very much. How do I reset my RAM sticks?
wichowolf

Post by wichowolf »

catweazel wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:29 pm
wichowolf wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:54 pm

lc@lc-linux ~ $ inxi -F
Your machine is under-powered for a DE like Cinnamon, which is a resource hog. You should try Mint MATE, or even Mint Xfce.

Just fyi, the MMC device you have the OS installed on is a flash card soldered to the motherboard. It's not an SSD.
I'm leaving this as the last option as it was a quite a struggle to install linux mint. I could not accomplish the installation with GRUB so I had to install it after. The same happened when I tried to install Ubuntu, got stuck installing GRUB packages.
wichowolf

Post by wichowolf »

MrEen wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:33 pm Hi wichowolf, and welcome to the forum.

Try the suggestions at this site from forum member Pjotr: https://sites.google.com/site/easylinux ... n-Cinnamon

You should also upgrade your kernel to the latest in the 4.13 series.
Thanks. I tried this but it's still lagging when I reproduce videos. Do you have any other suggestion?

Return to “Beginner Questions”