[SOLVED] Shutting down linux 17.3

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Howard_P
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Shutting down linux 17.3

Post by Howard_P »

More trouble.
I thought I'd try to enter the grub menu before I upgraded to the new kernel. I tried, several times, holding Shift key, when I powered on. All that happened was the regular boot-up, no grub menu. After that I tried to shut down the machine with the
r e i s u o(while holding alt and print keys) procedure that had worked several times before and it no longer works. All that happens is that the cursor disappears. I have not tried the kernel update.
I do remember that when I initially loaded linuxmint 17.2 I tried to set it up to dual boot with windows, probably win7 or win8, something went awry and I couldn't get to windows. I don't know if that is a clue...
As always I appreciate the help.
-Howard
kukamuumuka

Post by kukamuumuka »

[SOLVED] Dell Inspiron will not Shutdown and will not wake after suspend -> https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2326080
I can now shut down the and it stays off. Keyboard/mouse inputs still don't wake it up from suspend but closing and reopening the lid does actually wake it up. For anyone who experiences these same shutdown/suspend problems try editing the /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf by adding the lines:

blacklist dw_dmac
blacklist dw_dmac_core

Code: Select all

gksu xdg-open /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Regarding the procedure with the shift key at start-up: Some hardware do not react on the shift-key in such a situation. There are 2 possibilities. At first switch between the left and the right shift key. If this does not work, use the esc key. But for the esc key it is not sufficient to press and hold it, but you must press it repeatedly as quick as you can.
Howard_P
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Howard_P »

Finally success! I was able to reach the grub menu, so I updated the kernel. This was a smooth installation.It did not fix the shut-down problem, but caused no obvious changes. I installed the lines of code suggested by administrollaattori above and this fixed the shut-down problem.

Thanks again to all who helped with this. You have my appreciation.
-Howard

Return to “Beginner Questions”