[SOLVED]Language flag in panel missing

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
relic76
Level 2
Level 2

[SOLVED]Language flag in panel missing

Post by relic76 »

I use English normally, but on occasion I use German and Spanish. I have all 3 languages installed but the language flag does not appear in the panel. I have Mint 18.3 Cinnamon. Previously in 18.1 the flag always appeared in the panel.

I don't see an applet to add for language flag, only a keyboard layout which I tried but it never stayed on the panel and was useless.

What am I missing?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Language flag in panel missing

Post by Cosmo. »

The language flag belongs to the keyboard layouts, not the languages. Note, that the name for the applet is keyboard. It does only appear visible, if you have added more than 1 keyboard layout, to be done in the keyboard settings. Now you can switch with the applet the layout.

Note, that you cannot switch languages on the fly. A change of the language - only doable via language settings - needs to log out and back in into your user account.
relic76
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Language flag in panel missing

Post by relic76 »

Thanks Cosmo,

I did have the applet for Keyboard installed for the panel.

What I forgot was in Keyboard 'layouts' to add the other languages to English. When I did so the flags appeared.

Return to “Beginner Questions”