No bootable device found issue

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
prateekkumar402

No bootable device found issue

Post by prateekkumar402 »

Hi everyone,

Recently I have purchased Acer Aspire ES11 ES1-132-C5UF and successfully intalled linux mint cinnamon on it. After restarting the computer I'm getting NO BOOTABLE DEVICE FOUND message and nothing happened afterwards. I tried everything possible and Googled alot regarding the issue but found no concrete result. I tried sudo efibootmgr -v to know about boot manager and got this:

BootCurrent: 0001
Timeout: 0 seconds
BootOrder: 2001,2002,2003
Boot0000* Unknown Device: HD(1,GPT,afb238fa-5f85-47ad-93a5-3a3ac51a1853,0x800,0x100000)/File(\EFI\ubuntu\grubx64.efi)RC
Boot0001* USB HDD: SanDisk PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x15,0x0)/USB(3,0)/HD(1,MBR,0x4294967295,0x800,0x3aa3800)RC
Boot0002* ubuntu HD(1,GPT,afb238fa-5f85-47ad-93a5-3a3ac51a1853,0x800,0x100000)/File(\EFI\ubuntu\grubx64.efi)
Boot2001* EFI USB Device RC
Boot2002* EFI DVD/CDROM RC
Boot2003* EFI Network RC

Kindly help me in this matter.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
michael louwe

Re: No bootable device found issue

Post by michael louwe »

@ prateekkumar402, .......
prateekkumar402 wrote:.
Certain OEM Win 8.x/10 computers, eg Acer, Asus and HP, have an obstructive or pro-M$ UEFI-BIOS setting for "select an UEFI file as trusted for executing",(= Linux cannot boot). For the fix, please refer to ...
https://itsfoss.com/no-bootable-device-found-ubuntu/
viewtopic.php?t=236560

The above latest(= 2017) OEM Win 10 laptops, eg Acer E and S series, may have even removed this UEFI-BIOS setting(eg "No bootable device" after installing Linux and cannot be fixed), but may be restored by a new BIOS firmware update from the OEMs = update through Windows only. This was after many complaints from affected users. ...
viewtopic.php?f=46&t=254948
... Another workaround is ...
https://askubuntu.com/questions/862946/ ... re-es1-533
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

Are you sure that BIOS is still looking at your primary boot device first. I've been caught a few times over the years by people forgetting to remove a CD or Memory stick when their BIOS actually looks at them first.

UEFI might also be an issue. My system will not boot if I set UEFI mode <on> even though it would work with Linux when dual booting Windows.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
prateekkumar402

Post by prateekkumar402 »

Hi,

Thanks for sharing experience but this is not the case. I have double check the boot sequence after installing MintOS, btw it is the sole OS in my computer. One more thing I would like to tell you that I didn't saw any UEFI kind of thing while scanning the BIOS setup.
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

Fyi, nearly all OEM computers that came preinstalled with Win 8.x/10 are UEFI and have the Secure Boot feature.

UEFI computers are backwards-compatible with Legacy BIOS install mode, ie by enabling CSM(= Compatibility Support Module) or Legacy BIOS in BIOS Setup.

Return to “Beginner Questions”