hdmi audio works but line out has no signal

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
roy pittman

hdmi audio works but line out has no signal

Post by roy pittman »

The Pulse Audio Volume Control Output Devices shows only Built-in Audio Digital Stereo at HDMI/Display port
Pulse Audio Configuration shows Profile: Digital Stereo (HDMI) Output (plus Analog Mono Input for my webcam).
I would like to have Analog Stereo Output **AND** Digital Stereo (HDMI) Output. Can this be done?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Mattyboy

Re: hdmi audio works but line out has no signal

Post by Mattyboy »

Don't think you can do it both at the same time ( ?? )

installing

Code: Select all

pavucontrol
from synaptic packet manger under administration then playing with the settings usually gives HDMI audio output.
jamesb7a

Post by jamesb7a »

roy, I just tested this out on my machine. if you have a line plugged into the audio out on the back of your PC the sound will NOT go out on HDMI or show up in the volume control ( pulse audio volume). to get HDMI sound to work and show up you MUST unplug the audio line from the audio port out.
jamesb7a

Post by jamesb7a »

roy, after re reading I see its the audio out thats not working?, try unplugging then replugging back in then look at the pulse audio volume interface.. this worked on 2 of my machines.
roy pittman

Post by roy pittman »

Unplugging and replugging the line out on the back of my PC case worked. I now have analog audio to my amplifier / speakers. However i find that my HDMI audio is deselected. It seems I can have one or the other but not both. Oh well.

Thanks for the help -
Roy
jamesb7a

Post by jamesb7a »

roy, on some machines you can switch back and forth between HDMI sound and line out sound, others will screw up for a while untill you fiddle with it as you just did. I suggest choosing one or the other and stick with that after its working OK. I have one machine where the line out works perfectly but switching back to HDMI sound doesnt work untill I set the setting correctly THEN unplug and re plug in the HDMI cable.. . once set and working I suggest doing a timeshift save in case it needs to be restored.
mr.travo

Post by mr.travo »

After an hour or two of digging, I come across this depressing news :(

I have dual HDMI TV's and a line out speaker running through intel audio. I just installed a new-to-me graphics card (Nvidia Quadro 4000) and now my HDMI signals carry audio. The downside is I can only use 1 of the three sound devices 3 at a time either one of the two tv's or the line out speaker. I was hoping there was a way to have all three (or at least two) play at the same time. It's kind of weird that in the Nvidia settings it doesn't allow you to control any of the graphics card audio settings....

~T
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

While I have not tried it myself, paprefs seems to have this functionality and is available via the Software Manager.

It doesn't appear there's been any work on it for years, so take that into consideration.

Also, each device has its own clock, so any drift in the timing of one will cause loss of synchronization which will not sound good.

Hope that helps.
mr.travo

Post by mr.travo »

I appreciate it! I tried it but nothing... :(
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

I believe you set it up in the Simultaneous Output tab, then have to open pavucontrol and select the new device in the Output Devices tab there. This is a guess from what I have read/seen on the web.

Return to “Beginner Questions”