Add "Desktop Toolbar like windows" on Cinnamon

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
fireplex
Level 1
Level 1

Add "Desktop Toolbar like windows" on Cinnamon

Post by fireplex »

Hi,

New user here, one thing I cannot figure out is how to add an applet that will popup and display my desktop icons and allow me to launch one of them (I know I can click Show Desktop but I don't always want to minimize all my windows).

I could do this on Windows by creating a Desktop Toolbar on the bottom Taskbar, any equivalent on Cinnamon ?

Thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Add "Desktop Toolbar like windows" on Cinnamon

Post by catweazel »

fireplex wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:24 pm New user here, one thing I cannot figure out is how to add an applet that will popup and display my desktop icons and allow me to launch one of them (I know I can click Show Desktop but I don't always want to minimize all my windows).
https://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2015/01/how ... ktop-plank
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
sbroccolo

Post by sbroccolo »

The previous post points you to Plank. It is pretty good, I use it on a machine with Pop!OS running the Budgie DE. Docky is another simple one. I prefer Cairo-Dock as it has a lot more themes and flexibility. No need to go to a ppa, all of these are in the Software Manager. Search on Dock or Plank. There are a few others I haven't tried.
fireplex
Level 1
Level 1

Post by fireplex »

OK thanks, tried Dock & Plank but they need configuring to add each desktop icon you already have.

Anyway, given me some ideas to keep looking.
Sir Charles

Post by Sir Charles »

For Plank: you could just drag and drop your Desktop directory on the dock and launch whatever it is inside from there.
fireplex
Level 1
Level 1

Post by fireplex »

Of course, didn't thank of that, that will do it, thanks!
deanr72
Level 3
Level 3

Post by deanr72 »

Maybe something like Slingscold might be worth playing with? I use it in combination with cairo-dock (see left and right bottom corners of screen):

Return to “Beginner Questions”