Main Menu problem [SOLVED]

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
chazb
Level 5
Level 5

Main Menu problem [SOLVED]

Post by chazb »

That menu button you click on to goto "office" or "preferences" etc. I used to be able to click the menu button then places then downloads, and the downloads Folder woud appear on my screen. But know more, for some reason. Now when I click on the menu button then places then downloads, nothing happens, why? I can see "downloads" in the Menu's menu. Does anybody have any ideas about this? Perhaps it is in the nuts and bolts of the menu program?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Re: Main Menu problem

Post by smurphos »

Hi chazb - it will be related to the issue here - viewtopic.php?f=90&t=266746 - which i suspect isn't fully resolved.

Which DE environement do you use (Cinnamon, XFCE, Mate etc).

Edit - please post back what ls ~/ && xdg-user-dir DOWNLOAD returns.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
chazb
Level 5
Level 5

Post by chazb »

I am running LM 17 Quana. I don't understand when you say this ,,, viewtopic.php?f=90&t=266746,,, isn't fully resolved? Like when I did a download it did do what it was supposed to do. Though on the other hand the two problems may be related. But one of the problems the main one, was solved. The second problem I figured required another thread, was I wrong..

Code: Select all

System:    Host: charles-Inspiron-1526 Kernel: 3.13.0-24-generic i686 (32 bit, gcc: 4.8.2) 
           Desktop: Gnome Distro: Linux Mint 17 Qiana
Machine:   System: Dell product: OptiPlex GX620
           Mobo: Dell model: 0F8098 Bios: Dell version: A05 date: 10/13/2005
CPU:       Single core Intel Pentium 4 CPU (-HT-) cache: 2048 KB flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3) bmips: 5984.91 
           Clock Speeds: 1: 2992.456 MHz 2: 2992.456 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] RV370 [Radeon X600/X600 SE] bus-ID: 01:00.0 
           X.Org: 1.15.1 drivers: ati,radeon (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1600x900@60.0hz 
           GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on ATI RV370 GLX Version: 2.1 Mesa 10.1.3 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio:     Card: Intel 82801G (ICH7 Family) AC'97 Audio Controller driver: snd_intel8x0 ports: ec00 e8c0 bus-ID: 00:1e.2
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture ver: k3.13.0-24-generic
Network:   Card-1: Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI driver: rt61pci ver: 2.3.0 bus-ID: 04:02.0
           IF: wlan1 state: down mac: <filter>
           Card-2: Broadcom NetXtreme BCM5751 Gigabit Ethernet PCI Express driver: tg3 ver: 3.134 bus-ID: 02:00.0
           IF: eth2 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 250.1GB (13.8% used) 1: id: /dev/sda model: WDC_WD2500BEVT size: 250.1GB 
Partition: ID: / size: 228G used: 33G (15%) fs: ext4 ID: swap-1 size: 2.01GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap 
RAID:      No RAID devices detected - /proc/mdstat and md_mod kernel raid module present
Sensors:   None detected - is lm-sensors installed and configured?
Info:      Processes: 149 Uptime: 5:24 Memory: 745.6/3028.3MB Runlevel: 2 Gcc sys: 4.8.4 Client: Shell inxi: 1.8.4 
charles@charles-Inspiron-1526 ~ $ 
Happy now?
Last edited by Moem on Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Adding [code] tags. They retain some formatting that makes your output easier to read.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

chazb wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:43 am I am running LM 17 Quana
Yes, well, that's why you should say so in your first post. When dealing with an issue that isn't hardware related, you ought to post the output of this terminal command:

inxi -Fxz
Enclose the results in-between [ⅽode] and [/ⅽode] code markers by selecting </> from the mini toolbar above the textbox where you type your reply.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

chazb wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:43 am I don't understand when you say this ,,, viewtopic.php?f=90&t=266746,,, isn't fully resolved?
Happy now?
Hi,

The reason I suspect it's not properly resolved is that the various menu applications for the different desktop environments normally use the same user-dir.dirs file to know where a target directory is.

On re-reading your other thread you refer repeatedly refer to your 'Download' folder. The default name for the folder is 'Downloads'. Thus I suspect the reason the user-dir.dirs folder was not correct in the first place is that as some point the folder was renamed from 'Downloads' to 'Download'. If the user-dir.dirs entry and the actual folder name don't match then you still have an issue

The output of this command ls ~/ && xdg-user-dir DOWNLOAD will confirm either way if my suspicion is correct or not.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
chazb
Level 5
Level 5

Post by chazb »

catweazel wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:43 am
chazb wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:43 am I am running LM 17 Quana
Yes, well, that's why you should say so in your first post. When dealing with an issue that isn't hardware related, you ought to post the output of this terminal command:

inxi -Fxz
Enclose the results in-between [ⅽode] and [/ⅽode] code markers by selecting </> from the mini toolbar above the textbox where you type your reply.
Why between code & code, like can you do anything else with it, besides read it?

how do we post, part of a Quote?
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

chazb wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:26 pm Why between code & code, like can you do anything else with it, besides read it?
Because that way, some formatting (indents) will be retained that makes the output much easier to read. Plus, it takes less room and can still easily be scrolled to read.
chazb wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:26 pm how do we post, part of a Quote?
One way is to remove what's not needed. But be careful to leave the necessary quote tags in place so it's still easy to see what is the quote and what is newly added.

These are just some little tricks to help the readers of your message. After all, a message has one writer but may have tens or hundreds of readers. If the writer can save all those readers a bit of effort or time, that is efficient... and it may result in better or faster answers.

The point is not to make anyone 'happy'... the point is to make it easy for people to help you. The result is that you may be happier because you're getting the help you need.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
chazb
Level 5
Level 5

Post by chazb »

Moem wrote: These are just some little tricks to help the readers of your message. After all, a message has one writer but may have tens or hundreds of readers. If the writer can save all those readers a bit of effort or time, that is efficient... and it may result in better or faster answers.

The point is not to make anyone 'happy'... the point is to make it easy for people to help you. The result is that you may be happier because you're getting the help you need.
Thank You Moem for correcting my code error and answering some questions. Perhaps now we can get on to the point of the thread.
Last edited by Moem on Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed a quote
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

chazb wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:26 pm Why between code & code, like can you do anything else with it, besides read it?
Because it's next to impossible to read terminal output accurately when it's in a proportional font, and because if you just paste the text then there is reams and reams of it. The code markers make it readable and don't cause massively long posts that result in TL;DR.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
chazb
Level 5
Level 5

Post by chazb »

smurphos wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:59 pm Hi chazb - it will be related to the issue here - viewtopic.php?f=90&t=266746 - which i suspect isn't fully resolved.

Which DE environement do you use (Cinnamon, XFCE, Mate etc).

Edit - please post back what ls ~/ && xdg-user-dir DOWNLOAD returns.
Cinnamon
chazb
Level 5
Level 5

Post by chazb »

Thank you, guys for helping understand my various errors. It would be nice if I could store the information garnered from "inxi -fxz" on say my Profile, haven't tried that yet.

I have discovered much from this thread, and there is still more to learn. One of the things I have discovered though is , when I click on Menu>Places>Downloads,,,nothing happens, and the reason nothing happens is, when I hover over downloads, I notice at the bottom of the menu window is the Path or string the menu uses to get to downloads. That path is,,,,,,/home/chsrles/Documente/Downloads,,,,just as I have written here, I need to get the word "Documents" out of the Path. So when i goto Places>Vdeos the path reads,,,/home/charles/Videos or Places>Music,,,,/home/charles/Music,,,or Places>Documents,,,/home/charles/Documents,,,,etc. Downloads is not in Documents. I suppose I could drag-an-drop a copy of Downloads into Documents and that might solve the problem, but that doesn't seem kosher, and might cause problems later on.

So in my search for for a Menu folder or file to perhaps correct the Downloads path I have discovered the Menu Editor, right click Menu,,,configure, but there is no "Places" in the editor menu. I have also discovered that Menu is an Applet with a bog'ol lock on it. So I am figurering I am going to have to log into my system as Root to solve this problem and this is where I am going to need your help, to find the appropriate file to omit the word Documents, from the Menu>Places>Downloads path /home/charles/Documents/Downloads. Any ideas?
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

Open up Nemo (the File Manager) and select 'Bookmarks' from the menu bar. You should have an option to 'Edit Bookmarks'. Pick it and then from there you should be able to correct the path of the Downloads bookmark. Your post gave me a reminder as to where the menu gets the Places info from. :)

This is what it looks like in Mint 18.3 (ignore the theme).

if your version of Nemo doesn't have that option the config file with the list of Bookmarks which can be edited directly should be in...

/home/charles/.config/gtk-3.0/bookmarks
chazb
Level 5
Level 5

Post by chazb »

Thank You Smurphos. My Nemo look like a black and white text file something like tiis,,,,,[computer]
nemo-icon-position=64,22
icon-scale=1
nemo-icon-position-timestamp=1524794261.
Mostly to me looks like gibberish, though maybe some day as I become more advanced, it will make some sense, bookmarks though.

The solution was in gtk 3.0,,,,,, bookmarks (~/.config/gtk-3.0)-gedit,,,,,, I was able to edit out the word, Documents. Is gtk 3.0 the same as Places in the Menu?

I also have gtk 2,0 that when I open it, it gose to a other file that when I go to open it I get a box, that says in bold letters, Unknown File Type, witha paragraph explaining I can make the file executable. I see this box when I goto open some files. What is the significants of the Unknown File Type box.

Some files in my Home Directory have nothing in them, should I keep them? Or are they temporary files the system uses, kinda like swap files?
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Re: Main Menu problem [SOLVED]

Post by smurphos »

chazb wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:22 pm The solution was in gtk 3.0,,,,,, bookmarks (~/.config/gtk-3.0)-gedit,,,,,, I was able to edit out the word, Documents. Is gtk 3.0 the same as Places in the Menu?

I also have gtk 2,0 that when I open it, it gose to a other file that when I go to open it I get a box, that says in bold letters, Unknown File Type, witha paragraph explaining I can make the file executable. I see this box when I goto open some files. What is the significants of the Unknown File Type box.

Some files in my Home Directory have nothing in them, should I keep them? Or are they temporary files the system uses, kinda like swap files?
gtk-3.0 and gtk-2.0 are the toolkits that Mint (and many other distros) use to actually display applications. I'm not sure why the bookmarks config ends up in that folder - I guess it is something in the freedesktop standards.

Unknown file type just means the system doesn't have an application set up to deal with that particular file type. I wouldn't worry about it unless you have a specific reason to open a certain file. Most of the files in the hidden folders (starting with .) are config files for the operating system or installed apps. Even if folders or files are empty probably best to leave them alone unless you know what you are doing and have a specific reason for removing something.

Return to “Beginner Questions”