Can a webapp mount my disk?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Vilsen
Level 1
Level 1

Can a webapp mount my disk?

Post by Vilsen » Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:50 am

I'm sorry if I'm perceived as obstinate but from different situations where I applied for an unmounted disk
which is connected "hardware" to the motherboard, for example. if I do a file search or try to access
a file from a program, this does not work without first installing the disc, why I became quite flabbergasted when one
"program" under / in a web browser can get a file directly to the file without first installing the disk.
Try the ones first before you pronounce yourself? What is the difference if I t.e.x. Trying to open a file in a word processor
or GIMP electricity. Another prg and then denied access because I did not first install the disk? Surely I'm kidding
any "button" in the program that is in my browser but what prevents an malicious application to do exactly the same thing ??

This is the matter!

mvh: love in the panel cake

ralplpcr
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Can a webapp mount my disk?

Post by ralplpcr » Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:02 pm

I'm not quite sure I follow - - when you say "installing the disk", what exactly do you mean?

If the page offered you a "browse" function, and you clicked on that disk or entered a path to it, then you are actually mounting it. Can you verify that you DIDN'T do anything like that? It seems highly improbable - - until the disk is mounted, the only information regarding a disk is the interface & label. Are you sure you didn't give it a path, thereby mounting it in the process?

sdibaja
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Can a webapp mount my disk?

Post by sdibaja » Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:15 pm

Mounting internal disks and partitions without requiring a password is a "desirable feature" in Ubuntu and Linux Mint.
I consider also it a security hole.

I do not know of a way to modify that behaviour (revert to the Debian default).

Return to “Newbie Questions”