Copy 64bit home to 32bit setup?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
vansloneker

Copy 64bit home to 32bit setup?

Post by vansloneker »

Is it possible to copy the 64bit home folder to a similar 32bit installation with the same apps installed?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Copy 64bit home to 32bit setup?

Post by catweazel »

vansloneker wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:37 am Is it possible to copy the 64bit home folder to a similar 32bit installation with the same apps installed?
Generally, home folders only contain configuration files, unless you've installed, for example, Qt5, which defaults to installing in $HOME. So, based on that, it should be quite do-able.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

It's not exactly the same situation, but I'm using a home partition that was previously used with 17.3 Cinnamon 32-bits, with 18.3 Cinnamon 64-bits now... with very little trouble (two minor applications were present twice in the menu and one of the duplicates did not work properly). I think the problems were caused by 17.3 versus 18.1 (at the time), not by 32-bits versus 64-bits.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

While I wouldn't say it's guaranteed, I've done the same with no problems at all.

My netbook used to run 32 bit and I installed 64 bit when Google announced that 32 bit Chrome would be dropped. That was some time ago and no problems yet.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
vansloneker

Post by vansloneker »

Ok, thanks for your replies.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

I forgot to mention that 'similar' should incude the same computer name, user name, path names etc.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken

Return to “Beginner Questions”