Can I extend monitors in Mint 18.3 or just mirror them? [SOLVED]

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
cybervigilante

Can I extend monitors in Mint 18.3 or just mirror them? [SOLVED]

Post by cybervigilante »

I'd like to extend my laptop monitor to another monitor by plugging it into the laptop, but the monitor controls only say to Mirror. Is it possible to also extend the monitor so I can have a linux pdf on one monitor and a terminal on the other and move the mouse back and forth between them? Also, when I did that in windows the mouse would sometimes go to the other monitor backwards. That is, I'd exit screen right but go into the other monitor, which was on the right, screen right instead of left. Is there a way to switch that? I know I can just move the monitors but I want the laptop on right for the terminal and the main screen on left for the pdf.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
cybervigilante

Re: Can I extend monitors in Mint 18.3 or just mirror them?

Post by cybervigilante »

Well it turns out system settings > monitor does everything I wanted so question closed ;) I only saw Mirror in the commands and figured that was the only gui option, but mint extends automatically and you can switch monitor positions by dragging the screens.
wallyUSA
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Can I extend monitors in Mint 18.3 or just mirror them?

Post by wallyUSA »

cybervigilante wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:08 pm Well it turns out system settings > monitor does everything I wanted so question closed ;) I only saw Mirror in the commands and figured that was the only gui option, but mint extends automatically and you can switch monitor positions by dragging the screens.
Thanks for sharing the answer. Please mark the issue SOLVED (see my signature below).
> If your query has been resolved, edit your original post and add <SOLVED> to the beginning of the subject line. This may help others find solutions. <

Dell Latitude 7490 Mint 21.3 Ker 5.15.0-105 Cinn 6.0.4

Return to “Beginner Questions”