Level 3 Update [Solved]

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Andow
Level 2
Level 2

Level 3 Update [Solved]

Post by Andow » Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:09 am

Hi I'm a newbie. I have 79 level 3 updates waiting 2/3rd software 1/3rd security updates is it safe to install them. I looked at the descriptions of some of them, didn't really understand significance of them. So should I install them? :roll: Thank you for your time and advice.
Last edited by Andow on Tue May 15, 2018 3:59 am, edited 2 times in total.

Moem
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Level 3 Update

Post by Moem » Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:10 am

Yes, level 3 updates should always be installed. And security updates of any level should always be installed too.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Pierre
Level 17
Level 17

Post by Pierre » Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:27 am

if you are on an Limited Internet Connection,,
then you Could neglect any Level Three Updates
:o

this is something, that I've done in the past, in order to conserve my Monthly Internet Allowance,
but, as these allowances do tend to increase over time, then I've recently started to Allow Them Again.
8)

NB: you should Always Allow any Level One & Two updates, as a matter of course.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. » Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:45 am

What is your version of Mint and what is the desktop environment? Which kernel and which architecture? If you don't know open a terminal and enter:

Code: Select all

inxi -Szxx
Paste the output here.

You need to give this information for every help request in every thread.
Do not forget this in the future.

Without knowing the MInt version a precise answer cannot be given. The definition of the levels have changed between versions.

Andow
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Andow » Mon May 14, 2018 2:19 am

Cosmo. wrote:
Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:45 am
What is your version of Mint and what is the desktop environment? Which kernel and which architecture? If you don't know open a terminal and enter:

inxi -Szxx
Paste the output here.

You need to give this information for every help request in every thread.
Do not forget this in the future.

Without knowing the MInt version a precise answer cannot be given. The definition of the levels have changed between versions.
[Will do]

Pierre
Level 17
Level 17

Post by Pierre » Mon May 14, 2018 5:06 am

you still need to give the result of

inxi -Szxx
and not just Quote what Cosmo has asked . . .
- do you know how to use Terminal - in your LinuxMint System ?.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

I2k4
Level 5
Level 5

Post by I2k4 » Mon May 14, 2018 9:50 am

Depending on your internet connection and hardware, installing several too large packages or packages at too many levels at once, can gum up. My normal routine which has never borked, is:

Level 1 - install and reboot the PC - often Level 1 updates will change the lower level lists.
Level 2 and 3 - Uncheck any very large (e.g. browsers, LibreOffice, etc) packages, or check off many small packages in limited batches, to install separately and then reboot.
Levels 4 and 5 - after years of updating them, I've discontinued Level 4 and 5 to avoid Meltdown / Spectre patch panic.- will reconsider when real live exploits make the disease worse than the "cure".
TRUST BUT VERIFY any advice from anybody, including me. Ubuntu / Mint user since 10.04 LTS. M17.3 Cinnamon (Dell 1520). Dual booting M17.3 XFCE / W7 (Acer netbook) and M18.3 Cinnamon / W7 (Lenovo desktop). Testing M19.x 64bit on live USB.

mediclaser
Level 3
Level 3

Post by mediclaser » Mon May 14, 2018 3:07 pm

Pierre wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 5:06 am
you still need to give the result of

inxi -Szxx
and not just Quote what Cosmo has asked . . .
- do you know how to use Terminal - in your LinuxMint System ?.
I think the OP tried to mark the thread as Solved, but instead of adding it to the title, it's been added at the beginning of the first sentence. A moderator may have to make the necessary correction there.
Having a Linux operating system is just like driving a car -- you learn something new everyday.

karlchen
Level 19
Level 19

Post by karlchen » Mon May 14, 2018 3:24 pm

Andow added [solved] on April 30th without bothering to mention which of the different pieces of advice he had followed. Therefore the label "[Solved]" will not be particularly helpful to anyone else. :(
Hence let me clarify that the most sensible piece of advice had been given by Moem. post #2
Linux Mint 18.1 64-bit Cinnamon Desktop, Total Commander 9.21a 64-bit
Ubuntu 18.04.1 32-bit Mate Desktop, Total Commander 9.21a 32-bit
Windows? - 1 window in every room

Andow
Level 2
Level 2

Solved Re: Level 3 Update

Post by Andow » Tue May 15, 2018 3:57 am

Moem wrote:
Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:10 am
Yes, level 3 updates should always be installed. And security updates of any level should always be installed too.
Thing are working much better with level 3 update Thank you Moem.

Return to “Newbie Questions”