Older computers

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Mike_HS
Level 1
Level 1

Older computers

Post by Mike_HS » Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:02 am

I have a friend who has a 12 year old HP computer. I will be looking at it soon, bit I haven't seen it yet so can't specify the model and she doesn't know what an operating system is never mind what Windows version it is running. It sounds like it might be Vista. Generally speaking is there an age point with older computers where Sylvia won't work properly?

Thanks
Mike

Pierre
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Older computers

Post by Pierre » Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:16 am

it's not so much that Sylvia won't work properly,,
but what Desktop Environment that you intend to utilize . .

ie: Cinnamon or Kde DEs most probably won't work on that oldie.
:(
but, a more lightweight DE like Mate or even Xfce would be even better

so - try LinuxMint Xfce or anti-X even
8)
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

Mute Ant
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Mute Ant » Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:18 am

"... is there an age point..." Yes. Sylvia uses an Ubuntu kernel which needs the CPU to understand PAE instructions...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physical_ ... _Extension
...first seen in 1995 and common after 2000 when i686 processors became the norm.

In 2018 you are not likely to see a working machine that has an i586 CPU. If you do, LMDE2 Betsy still installs with an i586 kernel... non-PAE.
2018-10-23 Rock on Tommy productions presents the Librarian Chorus in Here Comes the Bride...
Ook ook ook ook: Ook ook ook ook: Ook ook ook ook ook: Ook ook ook ook.

majpooper
Level 5
Level 5

Post by majpooper » Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:25 am

Yeah it really depends on the rig in the end. Just for fun I installed several different distros on an ancient HP PC. I found that lubuntu ran best on it.

KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 12:25 pm

I have retired a few computers because they were getting sketchy. The main thing I look at, especially with a laptop, is if it seems to be getting hot. You can clean out the fan area, sometimes a cpu needs re-pasting. But usually even old machines will work with lightweight distros like Mint Xfce, MX, Xubuntu, Lubuntu, etc.
If it is a low spec desktop I would probably just encourage her to purchase a used desktop on ebay that is a few years newer. Desktops are dirt cheap right now.

jimallyn
Level 18
Level 18

Post by jimallyn » Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:41 am

When you have the computer in your possession, try booting it from a Mint XFCE DVD or USB stick. From there, open a terminal and enter the command inxi -Fxz, then post whatever that spits out into your next post here. For what it's worth, I have a computer that had Win98 on it when I got it, and antiX runs surprisingly well on it. But it the computer currently has Vista on it, there's a good chance that Mint XFCE will run on it.

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

catweazel
Level 17
Level 17

Post by catweazel » Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:03 am

Mike_HS wrote:
Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:02 am
Generally speaking is there an age point with older computers where Sylvia won't work properly?
If it's a 32bit machine you'll soon be in a position of having to search for 32bit OSen, which are becoming rarer every day.
¡uʍop ǝpısdn sı buıɥʇʎɹǝʌǝ os ɐıןɐɹʇsnɐ ɯoɹɟ ɯ,ı

scjet45
Level 3
Level 3

Post by scjet45 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:37 pm

generally, as @catweazel said, if it's a 32-bit CPU/system then ....?
That said, and either way, Mate is also not as light as it used to be, no thanks to Gnome3-ishness, and same will be for XFCE soon.
Whereas, KDE/Plazma could actually be better, but... oops, nevermind, since Mint is dropping KDE/Plazma on their next 19 release. :(
So try latest Kubuntu?
Fer starters, as @jimallin said, just post your output of:

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxz

KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:30 pm

scjet45 wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:37 pm
generally, as @catweazel said, if it's a 32-bit CPU/system then ....?
That said, and either way, Mate is also not as light as it used to be, no thanks to Gnome3-ishness, and same will be for XFCE soon.
Whereas, KDE/Plazma could actually be better, but... oops, nevermind, since Mint is dropping KDE/Plazma on their next 19 release. :(
So try latest Kubuntu?
Fer starters, as @jimallin said, just post your output of:

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxz
Just curious, what is it about Gnome 3 that will slow Xfce & MATE down? First time I've heard that. Will be nice when LXQt is further along.
Edit: never mind. Just found this:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Ubuntu/comment ... u_lubuntu/
KDE looks better than MATE and Xfce. Wow! Scroll down the page a bit for a text chart showing the Ubuntu 18.04 differences.

Return to “Newbie Questions”