How to install software "Xeoma" from .tgz archive?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
championc
Level 1
Level 1

How to install software "Xeoma" from .tgz archive?

Post by championc »

Hi all,

I'm trying to install a program which is distributed as a ".tgz" containing a ".app" file. The installation instructions appear to indicate that it should install ok on Ubuntu but I can't get my Mate server to install the ".app" file. I've tried installing it via the command line too "./xeoma.app" but no joy either. This is the software - https://felenasoft.com/xeoma/en/download/

Thanks in advance
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: How to install software

Post by Moem »

I'd suggest posting in the Ubuntu forum. That's where you'll find Ubuntu support.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
BigEasy
Level 6
Level 6

Re: How to install software

Post by BigEasy »

Execution failed or installation failed?
If first then do

Code: Select all

chmod +x xeoma.app
Windows assumes I'm stupid but Linux demands proof of it
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: How to install software "Xeoma" from .tgz archive?

Post by karlchen »

Hello, championc.

BigEasy's question points into the right direction.
The downloaded .tgz archive file xeoma_linux64.tgz only holds the executable file (programme file) xeoma.app, nothing else.

The Xeoma Linux installation instruction, which can be found on this webpage, is very brief and reads
Note: Linux console sound support requires: libasound2. To install or run Xeoma on Linux please make sure you are uncompressing xeoma_linux.tgz archive on Linux machine. Otherwise, it is required to execute: chmod a+x xeoma.app and then you can run Xeoma as usual: ./xeoma.app

You should use your graphical file manager, select the downloaded file xeoma_linux64.tgz. You double-click the filename. This will open the file in the archive manager. Click on the button [Extract] and extract the the application file xeoma.app to a directory of your choice, e.g. $HOME/bin.

Right click the extracted application file and permit to execute the file as a programme. Alternatively use the terminal commandline provided by BigEasy to make the file executable:

chmod +x /full/path/to/xeoma.app
Replace /full/path/to by the directory pathname where you extracted xeoma.app to.

In order to launch xeoma.app, you only have to double click xeoma.app inside your graphical filemanager.
This should work, provided your system meets the system requirements, laid out on this webpage.

In order to launch xeoma.app from the terminal commandline, either xeoma.app has to be inside a directory which is part of the search path $PATH. In this case typing xeoma.app and pressing enter will launch the programme.
In case, the directory is not part of $PATH, then you have to navigate to the directory where xeoma.app has been stored and execute

cd /full/path/to
# replace /full/path/to by the appropriate full directory pathname

./xeoma.app
HTH,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 762 days now.
Lifeline
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

I'm pretty sure it is available as a Deb but over a year since I last looked at it. Make life a lot easier.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

works for me in linux/mint/mate/17.3 all i do is extract, rightclick empty space in the folder open in terminal DRAG the file in it and hit enter. not sure what you mean by install or why you would want to install it in root partition but it does have an install option in the menu which i haven't tried
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi championc,

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

This works on my system just like everyone has been telling you, simply download their Linux archive file, extract it, and double-click the "xeoma.app" file in their folder.

AFAIK this is an application that you must pay for which is perfectly alright. But, you do know that there are free security camera software packages that are available right, like "ZoneMinder" and "Motion", etc...?

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & xKDE (Mint Xfce + Kubuntu KDE) & KDE Neon 64-bit (new based on Ubuntu 20.04) Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573) 2 in 1 touch screen, Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, Intel 4 Graphics.
skamba

Post by skamba »

I was having this exact same problem with the downloaded app file from Xeoma.

Turns out I had downloaded the 32bit version instead of 64bit. It's not immediately obvious that the download button is in fact two separate download buttons.

ImageImage
BenTrabetere
Level 7
Level 7

Post by BenTrabetere »

To expand on the comments from BigEasy and Karl....

Everything about this file suggest it is an AppImage. I cannot think of a single reasonable reason Xeoma chose not to use the standard extension.

An AppImage is one of the "universal" package management systems - flatpak and snap are two others. An AppImage is a compressed image of an application that contains everything the application needs to run. Normally you would have to make an AppImage executable in order for the program to run - in the case of xeoma.app, it is already set as executable.

I was able to launch xeoma.app from the file manager by double-clicking the icon.
Patreon sponsor since August 2022

Return to “Beginner Questions”