security & how can I increase auto wifi log on attempts?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
106net

security & how can I increase auto wifi log on attempts?

Post by 106net »

just a thought after reading "Security and Privacy for Newbies"
seemed it would be easier to reinstall the os.

Question... being limited to 1gb p/d, I installed a 'system monitor' showing network & cpu history etc,
So my question is 'if I'm online & the browsers open, but blank (no web page), if I'm infected with bots or virus etc, wouldn't I see activity on my system monitor re network history, & if no activity is displayed, can I assume I have no infection?

I posted the following question under wifi, 100 hits, but no answer, just in case,someone can assist.

I'm using a local wifi hotspot.
Problem is it can take >20 attempts to connect.
The default connecting setting only tries several times, then I have to do it manually.
I'm not an active terminal user, so I need the complete line command to preferably enable my auto-network connecting program to keep trying indefinitely, or the highest number possible.
many thanks, its a tough one to search for, keep getting connection problems etc.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Re: security & how can I increase auto wifi log on attemps?

Post by Cosmo. »

106net wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 5:06 am So my question is 'if I'm online & the browsers open, but blank (no web page), if I'm infected with bots or virus etc, wouldn't I see activity on my system monitor re network history, & if no activity is displayed, can I assume I have no infection?
If the attacking software is clever, it waits, until a connection gets established. Consequently you cannot assume not being infected only out of the quiet network monitor.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Re: security & how can I increase auto wifi log on attempts?

Post by Pjotr »

You might find this article interesting, that I've written about security in Linux Mint:
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinux ... t/security

If data traffic needs to be limited, you might want to avoid installing any Flatpaks:
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinux ... astructure
(item 6, left column)
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

Return to “Beginner Questions”