Timeshift Restore Question...

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
mr.travo
Level 3
Level 3

Timeshift Restore Question...

Post by mr.travo »

So I only wanted to restore my root directory with timeshift. PLEASE tell me it stashed these old images somewhere when it "restores" your system.... Please tell me that it does.....
-Travo

"Sometimes i'm not the sharpest shed in the drawer"
trytip
Level 13
Level 13

Re: Timeshift Restore Question...

Post by trytip »

open Timeshift then settings > location and select where you put your snapshot
mr.travo
Level 3
Level 3

Post by mr.travo »

Ya- nothing. I had all my snapshots going to my second HDD as that's where I kept all my important backups and paperwork for my business. It was being backed up on my backup. The backup images included my backup drive as well.

I am beyond shocked right now.... There are no amount of cuss words to describe the sadness, hate, and rage I have right now. My entire life was on my second drive. Deployments, business, pictures, research (years worth).....

Is there anything else anyone knows how to do???
-Travo

jimallyn
Level 18
Level 18

Post by jimallyn »

I'm confused. You restored your system from the Timeshift backup on the second drive, and that wiped all the data from the second drive?

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
mr.travo
Level 3
Level 3

Post by mr.travo »

I needed to restore my root directory. I went and selected the snapshot (which are stored on my second drive in the system) and after it was done, it rebooted and I have a fresh working stock system of Mint. My second drive is also wiped as well as my /home on my primary drive....
-Travo

AZgl1500
Level 14
Level 14
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plains

Post by AZgl1500 »

ummm,

Timeshift only stores System Files and Preferences.

all of your /home directories need a separate backup utility,
BackInTime or LuckyBackup are favored, I used both.
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon
mr.travo
Level 3
Level 3

Post by mr.travo »

Not from what I understood....

But not only that, why does it wipe all your &%$* when your select a snapshot from a day ago??
-Travo

AZgl1500
Level 14
Level 14

Post by AZgl1500 »

I use Timeshift all the time to backup from something that I don't want.

Just today, I used it to restore to a backup from 8 days ago.
I violated my own rule, make a window before and after a change.

No ill effects at all.

I use it just "prior to" an install of "something" and then just after that install is proven to be good.
You need a "window" around things that change the system.

It has never, ever, touched the /home/...... directories.

The backups are stored on an extUSB HDD ( or other HDD ) , always. you cannot violate this rule, the risk is too great.
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon
MrEen
Level 22
Level 22

Post by MrEen »

AZgl1500 wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 9:52 pm
all of your /home directories need a separate backup utility,
I keep seeing things like this said here on this forum, but if you look in Settings, Users tab, you will see that it can be set to back up the home directory, optionally including hidden files, for every user on the system.

While I'm sure that is not recommended, the option exists.
mr.travo
Level 3
Level 3

Post by mr.travo »

Well, bottom line is I am going to find a better way....

I am running TestDisk right now and have my fingers crossed. It's "found" the entire erased drive. I have it copying the contents to a USB external right now. so far 412,650 files copied and only 2 failed. Hopefully it works without me taking too big of a data hit.
-Travo

trytip
Level 13
Level 13

Post by trytip »

i believe there may be some permission errors. you have to boot with a distro other than mint to see if files are actually gone. did you say you had root/home/swap partitions or all in one partition?
mr.travo
Level 3
Level 3

Post by mr.travo »

primary drive had root home swap partitions (separate partitions) and secondary drive was a single ext4 partition for data.
-Travo

mr.travo
Level 3
Level 3

Post by mr.travo »

Sorry that I haven't kept up with this. I had another topic on linuxquestions going on as well. Since my last post I ran TestDIsk and PhotoRec and had a great results! TestDisk was able to pull all my folders but they were all empty. It gave me hope though. I ran PhotoRec after that and requested it to pull my JPG's and PDF's. The reason for that is if you tell it to pull the entire drive, it will flood you with data. None of the files will be titled but instead the software numbers them for you and puts them into folders of about 200 files. It's a lot to wade through. I noticed that it pulled multiple of the same file. I believe that I have 2 or 3 copies of the same picture and pdf. I am wondering if that has something to do with how the HDD spins and the program is set to pick up files. :?: Both programs do not write any data to the drive (as per their documentation), however it is STRONGLY suggested to make an image of the bad drive and work off of that image. I do not have the software or free space to accomplish this so I am taking it to a place here in town tomorrow. Hopefully he will be able to pull the information intact in same file structure (that would be awesome!). If not, as long as he can get all the files, I will take a month off and wade through all of it and reorganize it. :cry:

All in all- THERE IS HOPE if you delete something or have something wipe out your drive. If this was a main drive, I would have to isolate the drive ASAP to keep programs from rewriting on the now "empty" space. I went ahead and pulled the SATA and power to this drive just for good measure. Also know that this will pull up old files from long ago. This is an old HDD out of a desktop server (Dell Precision T3500). I bought the system a couple of months ago and have upgraded most of it. This system was made in 2010, so it's seen some action. Apparently the owner before me love flight simulators, LOL! I had about 1GB of pictures of flight sims and screenshots of flying them. It was kind of cool and funny. Makes you really reconsider writing zero's to the drive before you sell it. I will be doing that next time I sell one with a HDD.

~T
-Travo

azalea4va
Level 1
Level 1

Post by azalea4va »

I am beyond shocked right now.... There are no amount of cuss words to describe the sadness, hate, and rage I have right now. My entire life was on my second drive. Deployments, business, pictures, research (years worth).....
IMHO, the frustration (an understatement) you are feeling is a symptom of a mistake made in the creation of the Mint 19 distribution, one that should be corrected ASAP. I have not been able to find ANY detailed documentation on Timeshift. Not only have I checked my Mint system, I have also searched the internet. That such a "dangerous" tool would be included without proper documentation is a grave error.

My guess is that when Timeshift created the snapshot, Timeshift was configured to not include the information on your data disk. When the restore executed, somehow it thought it was supposed to restore the content of the folder which is the data disk mount point to what was shown in the snapshot. Since the snapshot showed an empty folder, Timeshift deleted all files in the mount point for your data disk. (That is just a guess.)

It does not matter how close my guess above is to being correct. A restore is a dangerous operation and therefore one must know exactly what it will do if a restore is to be executed. Without documentation, one cannot know what will happen. If a directory is empty in the snapshot, what will happen to the contents of that directory in the file system being restored? If a directory was configured to be excluded at the time the snapshot but that directory is not excluded at the time of the restore, does Timeshift use the configuration at the time of the snapshot or at the time of the restore? These are just a couple of examples of questions.
AZgl1500
Level 14
Level 14

Post by AZgl1500 »

mr.travo wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 9:41 pm

Is there anything else anyone knows how to do???
And you never, ever, once, made a total backup of that HDD to a 2nd or 3rd HDD?

it is too late now, but I always have backups of important stuff.
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon
gm10
Level 20
Level 20

Post by gm10 »

azalea4va wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:02 pm
IMHO, the frustration (an understatement) you are feeling is a symptom of a mistake made in the creation of the Mint 19 distribution, one that should be corrected ASAP.
PLEASE DO NOT NECRO POST

This thread isn't even about Mint 19 because that didn't exist yet at the time this thread was created. If you want to leave feedback about the Mint distribution, do that in the appropriate place. Besides, Timeshift in Mint 19 tells you exactly what it will do when you choose to restore a snapshot and before you don't confirm that it won't do anything.

Return to “Newbie Questions”