Change font size when when printing from xed text editor?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
XP-refugee
Level 1
Level 1

Change font size when when printing from xed text editor?

Post by XP-refugee » Mon May 14, 2018 9:16 pm

I would like to change the font and point size of the documents that I print using xed 1.6.3.

I currently have Preferences>Font & Colours>Editor Font set to Samanta Italic 14
But it is printing the same font and point as when set at Monospace 10
The text in the display window changes with changes in font and point but the Print Preview font and point size stays the same, as does the printed output.

(I have tried using another program Leafpad 0.8.18.1
This functions in line with expectations - print preview and print out-put change with changes in selected font and point size.)

AZgl1500
Level 11
Level 11
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plains

Re: Change font size when when printing from xed text editor?

Post by AZgl1500 » Mon May 14, 2018 10:23 pm

my experience with all Text editors is that none of them pass font controls to the printer.
don't matter if it is Linux or Windows, all of them do not pass control codes.

they just ship out the ASCII codes and let the printer handle it, which results in about an 8 point font :evil: :evil:

powerwagon75
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Change font size when when printing from xed text editor?

Post by powerwagon75 » Mon May 14, 2018 10:27 pm

Just tried experimenting with this. It appears the settings from "Preferences" that you likely adjusted, are just for the workspace view.

Do you have these option tabs, specifically the "Text Editor" tab, when you click on "print", as below:
xed_print_options.png
Here's a shot of the print preview with those settings:
Print_preview_example.png
It printed as you see it, and, when I changed the settings with that text editor tab, the print settings persist through multiple open and closes of the file.

The viewable file is still in the default font. If you change font and theme in "Preferences", then click save, the viewable workspace will persist with subsequent reopening of the file.

But, beware, unless I've missed it so far, these changes will apply every file you open with xed. It doesn't appear to be a per-file setting.

<Edit>: I just realized I am using an older version than you are (1.0.6). Hopefully these features are still there.

eric
Custom tower w/Mint 18
HP laptop w/Mint 18
Acer w/W10/Mint 18.3
Macbook w/El Capitan/Mint 18.3
Optiplex 960 "Frankenbox" w/Fedora 30/Mint 18.3/Mint 19.1
Acer C720 Chromebook w/GalliumOS
Mac PPC G4 w/Lubuntu

Return to “Newbie Questions”