how to download and start Linux?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Whobiggs

how to download and start Linux?

Post by Whobiggs »

I can't even get going, I want an alternative to Win10 as I'm having so many problems on my netbook. I don't know how to begin, I've tried downloading (as well as others such as Solus etc) and the result is always the same. Non of the options will work, downloaded onto a USB stick nothing is available to click on, same goes for Rufus and whatever programme I'm instructed to use. I'm told to create a disc but that won't work either nor would it work on the netbook. Am I just too dim to use this programme if I can't even begin it? :roll:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
killer de bug

Re: how to download and start Linux?

Post by killer de bug »

Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Maybe the documentation will 'click' with you? https://linuxmint-installation-guide.re ... en/latest/

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

@ Whobiggs, .......
Whobiggs wrote:.
1. Download the LM ISO file and save/store it in a designated folder on your computer, eg the Download folder.
2. Download and/or install an Image/ISO writing/burning program on your Windows computer, eg Universal USB Installer/Rufus for writing to a USB Flash-drive.
3. Run the Image/ISO writing program and plug in the USB Flash-drive. While in this program, browse to the location of the LM ISO file and double-click on it. Ensure that the target device is selected, ie the USB Flash-drive. Click "Write/Burn Image".

... https://www.lifewire.com/create-uefi-bo ... sb-2202084

Do you intend to install LM as single-boot or dual-boot.?

P S - By default, the LM ISO file is hybrid, ie can be installed in either Legacy BIOS or modern post-2011 UEFI computers. IOW, the Live LM Installer auto-detects whether the computer is Legacy BIOS or UEFI, and will install accordingly. The Windows Rufus program allows you to specifically choose UEFI/GPT or Legacy BIOS/MBR when creating the Live LM USB Flash-drive.
Whobiggs

Post by Whobiggs »

I've tried those tutorials and downloaded the files but I haven't a clue how to open them, nothing seems to work!
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

You don't open them, you burn the .iso to a DVD or USBstick. Then you boot your machine from that, instead of from the hard disk.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
alexa9

Post by alexa9 »

Whobiggs wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 3:39 pm I've tried those tutorials and downloaded the files but I haven't a clue how to open them, nothing seems to work!
Use a program (I used Etcher) to write the Linux file to the thumb drive. Then restart and press whatever key to boot from the USB and install. It was difficult for me the first time to figure out but it's really simple.
Last edited by alexa9 on Wed May 23, 2018 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Whobiggs

Post by Whobiggs »

I'm clearly too dim for this topic, when the file is downloaded onto the USB then what do I do? I cannot click/run/view anything? :roll:
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

You don't download it to the USBstick. You download it to your computer, and you burn the .iso to a USBstick. Then you boot your machine from that, instead of from the hard disk.

You cannot start Linux from inside Windows. It needs to be started instead of Windows.

Return to “Beginner Questions”