Can't resize a window, too large for desktop

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Ant73

Can't resize a window, too large for desktop

Post by Ant73 »

Hi, I'm [very] new to Linux and struggling a bit so far.

I have downloaded an application but the default window size is too tall for my laptop. Also, the maximise button "+" is missing and it only shows the minimise "-" and close "X" buttons. Double clicking the title bar won't make the window go full screen.

Here's some things I have tried;
1. Dragging the corners and sides - The window can be expanded to full screen width but it cannot be reduced beyond a certain size in both dimensions. The default height is too tall and I can't get to the bottom of the window.
2. Rotated the screen 90 deg and could access the bottom but it wouldn't reduce by dragging the resize arrows. (before discovering 3)
3. Alt +F7 and Alt+F8 - These move the window as intended but I cannot reduce the height to fit.

If any one would like to have a go at the program (for programming drones), it is here. The iNav configurator 1.9.3 https://github.com/iNavFlight/inav-conf ... r/releases
To access it have just unzipped the file and made 'inav-configurator' inside executable and then just ran it from the terminal. It runs fine but everytime I change a setting I have to save and reboot the flight controller and the button to do so is at the bottom, so I have to Alt+F7 to drag the window up to access it. (You won't see this bit without a drone connected)

Is there a way I can force, change or override the window size or am I doing something wrong? Or is it a bug with the software?

Thanks very much in advance
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Can't resize a window, too large for desktop

Post by Hoser Rob »

This sort of thing happens even with programs you install from the standard repos, so I'm not surprised it's happening with something you installed from a tar.gz file. It's not such a simple thing making this work the way you want with your window manager, and your best advice is probably to just hold down the <ALT> key and then move the window around. No one here is likely to rewrite the program.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
Ant73

Post by Ant73 »

Ok, thanks. I was just wanting to make sure I wasn't missing something simple. :)
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

If you have Chrome / Chromium installed give the 'Chrome OS' version a try - I was able to install and launch it fine on Linux Chrome. It opens in a reasonably sized window with full window controls. Other than that it appears identical (version number etc).

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... pgel?hl=en
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
Ant73

Post by Ant73 »

Yes, I have the chrome version already installed. It is missing the beta version of a mission planner however.
Thanks for looking at it for me though.

Return to “Beginner Questions”