[SOLVED] Linux Mint bad video performance

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Salvi1912

[SOLVED] Linux Mint bad video performance

Post by Salvi1912 »

So hello everyone. I have just had my first glance of Linux Mint (first OS for this device). Considering the fact that i have no advanced knowledge in computers, it was expected to meet some difficulties with the system after installing it. With some research and nerves I have solved my issues up to this point. However, there is one issue that still bothers me - I can not find myself watching a smoothly running video.
I use Linux 18.3 Cinnamon , so the obvious solution will be to shift to xfce , but I really hope you have another solution for the case. Here is my CPU specifications :

Code: Select all

Desktop: Cinnamon 3.6.6 (Gtk 3.18.9-1ubuntu3.3)
           Distro: Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia
Machine:   System: ASUSTeK (portable) product: X541UV v: 1.0
           Mobo: ASUSTeK model: X541UV v: 1.0
           Bios: American Megatrends v: X541UV.305 date: 10/16/2017
CPU:       Dual core Intel Core i3-6006U (-HT-MCP-) cache: 3072 KB
           flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 7968
           clock speeds: max: 2000 MHz 1: 419 MHz 2: 447 MHz 3: 421 MHz
           4: 532 MHz
Graphics:  Card-1: Intel Sky Lake Integrated Graphics bus-ID: 00:02.0
           Card-2: NVIDIA Device 134f bus-ID: 01:00.0
           Display Server: X.Org 1.18.4 driver: nvidia
           Resolution: 1920x1080@60.05hz
           GLX Renderer: GeForce 920MX/PCIe/SSE2
           GLX Version: 4.5.0 NVIDIA 384.111 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio:     Card Intel Sunrise Point-LP HD Audio
           driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1f.3
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.10.0-38-generic
Network:   Card-1: Realtek RTL8101/2/6E PCI Express Fast/Gigabit Ethernet controller
           driver: r8169 v: 2.3LK-NAPI port: d000 bus-ID: 02:00.2
           IF: enp2s0f2 state: down mac: <filter>
           Card-2: Realtek RTL8723BE PCIe Wireless Network Adapter
           driver: rtl8723be port: c000 bus-ID: 03:00.0
           IF: wlp3s0 state: up mac: <filter>
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 1000.2GB (4.2% used)
           ID-1: /dev/sda model: ST1000LM035 size: 1000.2GB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 909G used: 32G (4%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda2
           ID-2: swap-1 size: 8.44GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda3
RAID:      No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 40.5C mobo: N/A gpu: 0.0:42C
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: 2200
Info:      Processes: 221 Uptime: 30 min Memory: 1161.3/7843.2MB
           Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 5.4.0
           Client: Shell (bash 4.3.481) inxi: 2.2.35 
I really hope you can supply me with the appropriate solution. Thank you for your time.

PS: it is a shot in the dark, but could I somehow switch to the NVIDIA graphic card ?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Linux Mint bad video performance

Post by phd21 »

Hi Salvi1912,

Welcome to the wonderful world of Linux Mint and its excellent forum!

It would help to know more about your system setup. If you run "inxi -Fxzd" from the console terminal prompt, highlight all the results, copy and paste them back here, that should provide enough information.

Yes, switching to the Nvidia driver would probably run much better.
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
Salvi1912

Post by Salvi1912 »

I posted the fxzd result up there. So how to make the switch to NVIDIA ?
Termy
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Termy »

I believe the other poster was suggesting that you use the proprietary nVidia driver, rather than the open-source alternative. Since you seem to already be using it, according to your inxi results, I imagine that's now moot. I see you have a Skylake processor, and it looks to be a portable device. I'd suggest trying a newer kernel, like the new 4.15 which supports much newer hardware. It's easier to do in Linux Mint.

http://linuxbsdos.com/2016/12/19/how-to ... -4-to-4-8/

That page should point you in the right direction, but don't go for the 4.4 or 4.8 version, try the 4.15; if you don't see it listed, let us know. The change won't be seen until you restart the computer. As far which version within the 4.15 list to choose, go for the highest number. On Ubuntu 16.04.4, I see version 4.15.0-22-generic as the latest, which I'm currently installing.

By the way, I'm using and have always used the open-source graphics driver (with an nVidia ASUS 760 OC) without any performance issues. I never once saw a difference between it and the proprietary one. YMMV, of course.
I'm also Terminalforlife on GitHub.
Salvi1912

Post by Salvi1912 »

Thank you very much. I will post an update as soon as I get home, probably tomorrow.
Termy
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Termy »

No worries. Really important that you know something, though:

Some kernels, for whatever reason, won't work with your hardware. It's not likely, in my experience, but it can happen; it's typically referred to as kernel panic. If you have this issue wherein you can no longer boot, just spam the shift key while the system boots up, to enter the GRUB menu, then select an alternative kernel version (the previous one which worked). Once that's done, you can use the same tool (mintupdate; Update Manager) to remove that kernel, then perhaps try another one.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi Salvi1912,

You did not post the complete results (all) of the "inxi -Fxzd" command, or there would have been System and Kernel information.
example wrote:inxi -Fxzd
System: Host: xxxxxxxxx Kernel: 4.14.12-041412-generic x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 7.2.0)
Desktop: KDE Plasma 5.8.9 (Qt 5.6.1) Distro: Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia
Machine: System: Dell product: OptiPlex 780
Mobo: Dell model: 0DFRFW v: A01 Bios: Dell v: A15 date: 08/06/2013
Updating the Kernel would certainly be a good thing to do for security and because you have newer computer hardware, if you have not already done that which we could not tell because of the incomplete results of the "inxi -Fxzd" command. FYI: On my ancient under-powered computer I had trouble with one of the early 4.15 series kernels where some things did not function properly. So, I had to reboot into the advanced boot menu and use one of the previous kernels in the 4.14 series. This does not mean you or anyone else would have issues with the newer Linux kernels. I could probably update to one of the newer Kernels now as well. They are updated frequently now.

Since I have not used a computer with dual video cards recently, I do not know if your portable actually has two different monitor screen ports (vga/dvi/hdmi, etc...) dedicated to either video card. If your computer has separate video ports for each video card, with the computer off, plug any external monitor(s) into the video port(s) for the Nvidia card. If your computer does not have specific ports for each video card, then the computer's Bios probably controls which video card has priority and you might even be able to turn off (disable) the Intel video card. Otherwise, you should have an nvidia settings icon in your system tray panel, or you can install it, then use that to tell the system to use the Nvidia video card.

How did you install the Nvidia video card driver, from the driver manager or using the PPA? The PPA would provide the newest Nvidia video drivers.
NVIDIA: how to install the latest video card drivers
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinux ... nvidia-PPA

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
Salvi1912

Post by Salvi1912 »

Things running far more smoothly with the newer kernel. Thanks a lot.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi Salvi1912,

You are welcome from all of us that replied...
Termy
Level 12
Level 12

Re: [SOLVED] Linux Mint bad video performance

Post by Termy »

You're welcome. Glad things are well again. :) If you have any issues with the newer kernel, remember you can start the system up, go into GRUB, then pick the previous kernel you used when things were going slowly.

Return to “Beginner Questions”