Mint will not start/boot

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
JamesKB
Level 2
Level 2

Mint will not start/boot

Post by JamesKB »

Mint 18.2
Cinnamon

Mint has been running with no issues for months, until now. I shut down Mint this morning (I shut it down every morning) and then this afternoon turned the computer on... I get the LM logo and the line of dots... the first dot is green... but then it never boots... just sits there for a min or two... then the screen goes black... nothing...

It is a dual boot machine and I have no problems booting into Win 10 but it will not boot into Linux Mint any longer??? HELP! :)

Ideas??????
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
fabien85
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Mint will not start/boot

Post by fabien85 »

Did you update the kernel recently ? If so, try booting a previous kernel.

Other thing : at the grub menu, go to "advanced options for Linux Mint ..." and boot the entry with "(recovery mode)" at the end.
It should boot and get you to a screen like this. Do you reach there ?
- if not, there be text going on the screen during boot. Is there any error message ?
- if so, try the entry "resume". Do you get to Mint ? (it will tell you it's running in software rendering mode, it's normal)
JamesKB
Level 2
Level 2

Post by JamesKB »

Thanks for the reply fabien85...

If I do the "advanced options for Linux Mint ..." and boot the entry with "(recovery mode)" at the end should I chose "remount" as shown in the image you provided? Also will this have any effect on my ability to boot to Win 10?

Thanks for your time.
fabien85
Level 7
Level 7

Post by fabien85 »

Do you get to this screen ?
If so it's some good news.

Choose the entry "resume normal boot" and tell us if it works (i.e. boots you to Mint)

This will not affect anything on your windows.

Return to “Beginner Questions”