Multiple copies of Home Folder opening

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
LoRaTracker

Multiple copies of Home Folder opening

Post by LoRaTracker »

Just installed Linux Mint 18.3 Cinamon, its on a desktop PC that dual boots with Windows 7.

If I start Linux and just leave it alone, it keeps opening up copies of the Home folder, all on its own, and keeps doing this every minute or so. I can soon end up with 20 folders open, all without touching the keyboard or mouse. If I then close all these open folders, its soon opens up more.

Apart from that issue it appears to run normally.

Any ideas as to what the problem is ?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kukamuumuka

Re: Multiple copies of Home Folder opening

Post by kukamuumuka »

Keyboard problem.
Termy
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Termy »

Unplug the keyboard to see if it's that causing the issue.
I'm also Terminalforlife on GitHub.
LoRaTracker

Post by LoRaTracker »

Not the keyboard, it was fine in Windows, and unplugging makes no differance.

There is an icon on the desktop for a USB drive I have plugged in, that opens up to sometimes.
Termy
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Termy »

Have you installed HOME on a different device? Perhaps an external one? It may be reconnecting and connecting rapidly, indicating that it or a cable is malfunctioning.
I'm also Terminalforlife on GitHub.
kukamuumuka

Post by kukamuumuka »

LoRaTracker wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 5:57 am Not the keyboard, it was fine in Windows, and unplugging makes no differance.

There is an icon on the desktop for a USB drive I have plugged in, that opens up to sometimes.
I suppose that it is not $HOME that opens. Probably USB automount does not work correctly.
https://www.systutorials.com/241394/how ... -cinnamon/

LoRaTracker

Post by LoRaTracker »

Termy wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 11:04 am Have you installed HOME on a different device? Perhaps an external one?
No.
LoRaTracker

Post by LoRaTracker »

The external USB drive was disconnecting and reconnecting causing the USB drive folder to open. This behviour was not seen in Windows on the same hardware.

For some reason, ocaisionally the Home folder would open as well, which is odd.
kukamuumuka

Post by kukamuumuka »

LoRaTracker wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 12:10 pm The external USB drive was disconnecting and reconnecting causing the USB drive folder to open. This behviour was not seen in Windows on the same hardware.

For some reason, ocaisionally the Home folder would open as well, which is odd.
Disable USB-automount.

Return to “Beginner Questions”