CPU Microcode

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
toolrick

CPU Microcode

Post by toolrick »

Dear Forum,

I would like to know if I should install the Intel CPU Microcode for my linux mint to work better or if I should live it just as it is.

Please let me know your thoughts and what it would be better... I believe I installed the CPU Microcode when installed Mint Cinnamon and things did not go well as long as I remember; now I am using Mint XFCE. If I get to install it and things do not go well, can I revert that?

Thanks,

RD
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Re: CPU Microcode

Post by Hoser Rob »

The only real hard and fast rule I kinow of is to check the BIOS date which can be done with inxi -Fxz in the terminal. If the firmware update is dated earlier than the BIOS date, don't do it.

I think you can revert microcode updates, try a site specific search of this forum (the built in search stinks).
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

I've always installed the microcode on my installs. And have never seen a problem. Not sure it will really do much for performance though but it's a good idea for security reasons.
And yes you can reverse it easily.
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
toolrick

Post by toolrick »

Hoser Rob wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 10:42 am The only real hard and fast rule I kinow of is to check the BIOS date which can be done with inxi -Fxz in the terminal. If the firmware update is dated earlier than the BIOS date, don't do it.

I think you can revert microcode updates, try a site specific search of this forum (the built in search stinks).
Thanks for your response, here is the information for the terminal:

Code: Select all

~ $ inxi -Fxz
System:    Host: ricardo-HP-Stream-x360-Convertible-PC-11 Kernel: 4.13.0-43-generic x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 5.4.0)
           Desktop: Xfce 4.12.3 (Gtk 2.24.28) Distro: Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia
Machine:   System: Hewlett-Packard product: HP Stream x360 Convertible PC 11 v: Type1 - ProductConfigId
           Mobo: Hewlett-Packard model: 802B v: 57.19
           Bios: Insyde v: F.07 date: 03/28/2017
CPU:       Dual core Intel Celeron N2840 (-MCP-) cache: 1024 KB
           flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 8663
           clock speeds: max: 2582 MHz 1: 2578 MHz 2: 2580 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Intel Atom Processor Z36xxx/Z37xxx Series Graphics & Display
           bus-ID: 00:02.0
           Display Server: X.Org 1.18.4 drivers: (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
           Resolution: 1600x900@59.98hz
           GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Bay Trail
           GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 17.2.8 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio:     Card Intel Atom Processor Z36xxx/Z37xxx Series High Definition Audio Controller
           driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.13.0-43-generic
Network:   Card-1: Broadcom BCM43142 802.11b/g/n driver: wl bus-ID: 02:00.0
           IF: wlp2s0 state: up mac: <filter>
           Card-2: Realtek RTL8101/2/6E PCI Express Fast/Gigabit Ethernet controller
           driver: r8169 v: 2.3LK-NAPI port: 1000 bus-ID: 04:00.0
           IF: enp4s0 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>
Drives:    HDD Total Size: NA (-) ID-1: /dev/mmcblk0 model: N/A size: 31.3GB
           ID-2: /dev/mmcblk1 model: N/A size: 16.0GB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 27G used: 11G (43%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/mmcblk0p2
           ID-2: swap-1 size: 2.03GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/mmcblk0p3
RAID:      No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 54.0C mobo: 0.0C
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info:      Processes: 172 Uptime: 7 min Memory: 1305.9/1881.3MB
           Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 5.4.0
           Client: Shell (bash 4.3.481) inxi: 2.2.35 
toolrick

Post by toolrick »

kc1di wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 10:43 am I've always installed the microcode on my installs. And have never seen a problem. Not sure it will really do much for performance though but it's a good idea for security reasons.
And yes you can reverse it easily.
How could I reverse it in case it does not work well? Now I remember what happened when I installed the microcode... graphics started to flicker while playing videos.

RD
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

you simply go to driver manager and choose don't update microcode and hit apply it will be removed.
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
toolrick

Post by toolrick »

kc1di wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 2:28 pm you simply go to driver manager and choose don't update microcode and hit apply it will be removed.
I did that when I installed the Microcode, Turn off the computer and then turn it on... tried playing videos again and the flickering was there still.
I just wanted to know if that was necessary since I read that it was much better performance if one installed the microcode. If the PC is running well then I guess it would not affect if one does not install it?

RD

Return to “Beginner Questions”