(Solved) confused over Terminal use

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
miknun
Level 3
Level 3

(Solved) confused over Terminal use

Post by miknun »

Hi
I have just bought a DataTraveler Vault Privacy 3.0
I have downloaded the instructions for using on Linux, windows and Macs.
I have a Linux Mint OS Inspiron-580 Kernel: 4.13.0-32-generic i686 (32 bit) Desktop: MATE 1.18.0 Distro: Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia.
The instructions I have from Kingston are using the terminal: cd /media/DTVP/linux/linux32
but that returns bash: cd: /media/DTVP/linux/linux32: No such file or directory
So Kingston says "If the DTVP volume is not loaded automatically by the operating system, you will need to
load the volume manually in a terminal window using the Linux ‘mount’ command."
Now I am lost do I just type: mount/DTVP

Sorry I know this sounds lame, but help would be gratefully received.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
WharfRat

Re: confused over Terminal use

Post by WharfRat »

With that thing plugged-in paste back the results of the terminal command sudo blkid
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

The instructions I have from Kingston are using the terminal: cd /media/DTVP/linux/linux32
USB devices don't automount that way any longer. THey mount under /media/your-user-name.

My guess is that the target folder is /media/$USER/DTVP/linux/linux32

Code: Select all

cd /media/$USER/DTVP/linux/linux32
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
miknun
Level 3
Level 3

Post by miknun »

I followed what you said, hopefully
I typed in the information and got the following result
mike@mike-Inspiron-580 ~ $ cd /media/mike/DTVP/linux/linux32
bash: cd: /media/mike/DTVP/linux/linux32: No such file or directory
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

so if you plug it in and try WharfRat suggestion? when plugged in open file manager and go to /media/mike/ maybe it's under KINGSTON?
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

I looked at the user manual for the DataTraveler Vault Privacy 3.0 and found this:
For 32-bit users, open a “Terminal” application window and change the current directory to
/media/adminuser/DTVP30/linux/linux32 by typing the following command at the prompt:
cd /media/adminuser/DTVP30/linux/linux32 (and then press ENTER .)
Do an:

ls -al /media/mike/
Do you see a "DTVP30" folder there?

If you do then the command to change directories would be:
cd /media/mike/DTVP30/linux/linux32

EDIT: Just saw this:
Certain distributions of Linux will require super-user (root) privileges in order to
execute the DTVP 3.0 commands properly in the terminal application window.
Executing the commands is one thing but I'm wondering if there are root only permissions on the mount so if the above doesn't work slap a sudo before it:

sudo cd /media/mike/DTVP30/linux/linux32
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

You might need to mount it (before you can "cd" to it) - just double-click on the likely-looking name under "Places", or with your file browser under Places or Devices (or rt-click->menu); here's what my USB partitions look like:
mount_usb.jpg
But the "sudo blkid" should show it before it's mounted.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
miknun
Level 3
Level 3

Post by miknun »

Hello everybody that has been helping me.
I am not sure what some of it means, though
First WharfRat suggest using sudo blkid and I received $ sudo blkid
[sudo] password for mike:
/dev/sda1: UUID="2cd5f916-61f1-4c5a-8499-8cacb0b98735" TYPE="ext4" PARTUUID="0443d34f-01"
/dev/sda5: UUID="afa4b69f-0118-423c-8b7b-5658415e7e80" TYPE="swap" PARTUUID="0443d34f-05"
/dev/sr1: UUID="2014-10-16-15-47-27-00" LABEL="DTVP30" TYPE="iso9660"
I am not sure if that is three partitions?

altair4 suggested - cd /media/adminuser/DTVP30/linux/linux32
bash: cd: /media/adminuser/DTVP30/linux/linux32: No such file or directory

and ls -al /media/mike/ which gave
total 10
drwxr-x---+ 3 root root 4096 May 23 17:58 .
drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4096 Feb 20 10:02 ..
dr-xr-xr-x 6 mike mike 2048 Oct 16 2014 DTVP30

Finally Flemur
suggested mounting using the mouse. Which was not possible as it seems to be mounted. I could also open it there ar four folders
  • linux
  • Mac
  • rr_moved
[listsupport[/list]
an autorun.inf a user manual and a DTV30_Launcher.exe file
So somewhere along the line I must have mounted it. But I still understand what I have discovered
turtlebay

Post by turtlebay »

Usually in Mint, when you plug in a USB stick like yours, the system auto mounts it for you. That is what has happened according to your last post, it is already mounted. You can ignore what 'Kingston' said since it is already mounted.

So what are you wanting to do now it is mounted?
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

The problem is the flash device has some sort of virtual CD on it, so it's being identified as an optical drive. This is a security flashdrive?

/dev/sr1: UUID="2014-10-16-15-47-27-00" LABEL="DTVP30" TYPE="iso9660"
I think you will not have much luck with that in linux. It's about the same as trying to access a WD Essentials My Book.

viewtopic.php?t=63102
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

miknun wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 6:53 pm Finally Flemur
suggested mounting using the mouse. Which was not possible as it seems to be mounted. I could also open it there ar four folders
  • linux
  • Mac
  • rr_moved
[listsupport[/list]
an autorun.inf a user manual and a DTV30_Launcher.exe file
So somewhere along the line I must have mounted it. But I still understand what I have discovered
I'm guessing you are seeing those folders in the File manager? If so open the linux folder mentioned above. You will see two subfolders linux32 and linux64. You are using a 32bit OS so open linux32.

Your file manager hopefully has an option (probably on right click) to open the current folder in terminal. Do that. Look at the terminal command prompt - it should include the full path to the linux32 folder - something like /mnt/somethingunknownrightnow/linux/linux32. Post back with what it actually says for the benefit of any other reader with the same device

Assuming you've got the terminal window open and are in the linux32 folder from that point you've basically bypassed the cd command anyway - you can follow the rest of the instructions in the terminal i.e. ./dtvp_initialize* etc...

It would probably have been helpful to link to the instructions - I'm guessing its these - http://media.kingston.com/support/downl ... Manual.pdf
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
miknun
Level 3
Level 3

Post by miknun »

Thanks smurphos
I have done that and the terminal responds with:

/media/mike/DTVP30/linux/linux32 $
miknun
Level 3
Level 3

Re: confused over Terminal use (Solved)

Post by miknun »

Thank you all for your help
I am now logged in to the data traveller and can use it
Thank you all.
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

Assuming you've got the terminal window open and are in the linux32 folder from that point you've basically bypassed the cd command anyway - you can follow the rest of the instructions in the terminal i.e. ./dtvp_initialize* etc...
It would probably have been helpful to link to the instructions - I'm guessing its these - http://media.kingston.com/support/downl ... Manual.pdf
That's a very nice manual, and good of Kingston to make the secure device "linux friendly". I wish WD "My Book" would do the same.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....

Return to “Beginner Questions”