2 Drive Installation

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
nibbler

2 Drive Installation

Post by nibbler »

I've been got a late 2011 MacBook Pro which has a 120GB SSD in it at present and I want to add a second 512GB SSD in place of the optical drive for additional storage. I'm going to be doing a clean install of Mint 18.3 on it but want to be able to use both SSD's. What would be the best way to mount the drives to give me the best use of space?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: 2 Drive Installation

Post by catweazel »

nibbler wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 4:37 am I've been got a late 2011 MacBook Pro which has a 120GB SSD in it at present and I want to add a second 512GB SSD in place of the optical drive for additional storage. I'm going to be doing a clean install of Mint 18.3 on it but want to be able to use both SSD's. What would be the best way to mount the drives to give me the best use of space?
My opinion is that the 120GB SSD is wasted. You can fit your OS into 30GB or 40GB, depending on what applications you have installed, and partition the rest of the 512GB SSD as /home. Or you can put your entire OS on the 120GB SSD and /home on the 512GB SSD. Either way, it's a waste of a perfectly good 120GB SSD. You would be better off considering a large capacity mechanical drive to take up your spare bay, using it for backups of your treasured stuff.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
nibbler

Re: 2 Drive Installation

Post by nibbler »

catweazel wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 5:39 am My opinion is that the 120GB SSD is wasted. You can fit your OS into 30GB or 40GB, depending on what applications you have installed, and partition the rest of the 512GB SSD as /home. Or you can put your entire OS on the 120GB SSD and /home on the 512GB SSD. Either way, it's a waste of a perfectly good 120GB SSD. You would be better off considering a large capacity mechanical drive to take up your spare bay, using it for backups of your treasured stuff.
I already have both the SSD's as the 120GB is already in the MacBook and I've taken the the 512GB out of PC that I have sold as I no longer used it so ideally I'd like to use both drives and not waste them.

Return to “Beginner Questions”