Mint Cinnamon 18.3 freezing on file transfer

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Twoflower
Level 1
Level 1

Mint Cinnamon 18.3 freezing on file transfer

Post by Twoflower » Thu May 24, 2018 9:56 am

Hi folks

I've recently loaded Mint Cinnamon 18.3 on this Dell Vostro machine and I'm having problems transferring/copying large numbers of files from my Maxtor USB hard drive to the main drive. The problem seems to be that Linux 'goes to sleep' part way through the process and when I 'wake it up' by logging back in the transfer has frozen and I have to start again. I don't recollect this happening with my previous Mint Distro (which, I think, used Mate) so what's happening here please and how do I cure it?

Many thanks.

Mike

Mute Ant
Level 14
Level 14

Re: Mint Cinnamon 18.3 freezing on file transfer

Post by Mute Ant » Thu May 24, 2018 10:20 am

"...Linux 'goes to sleep' part way through the process..." Nemo might, if you are using drag-and-drop... Are you?

"...when I 'wake it up' by logging back in..." If it actually logs you out the transfer will be cancelled. I suspect it's just the screen-locker that looks like a login screen.

"...the transfer has frozen..." It's a frequent complaint and 'Linux' gets the blame. It's not a Linux problem. I run my whole system through USB2 ports and Linux has no problem at all, removable drives and large file transfers.

You can aim more carefully. It's a "Nemo Problem" or it's a "Cinnamon Problem" or it's a "Gnome Problem". An XFCE distribution just works, sometimes a Gnome-based distribution doesn't. Gnome has been doing something like this since I started using Linux with Ubuntu 0904... just too busy updating the GUI (or something) to get on with the work or respond to your new requests. Don't hold your breath waiting for a patch.

The new Ubuntu-MATE has included the queued-file-copy system so it only attempts one task at a time. That seems to work. You might see it in Mint19...
While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named "manual".

Flemur
Level 17
Level 17

Post by Flemur » Thu May 24, 2018 10:45 am

Twoflower wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 9:56 am
Mint Cinnamon 18.3
That problem shows up here fairly often - and it's usually, if not almost always, Cinnamon/nemo.
Using the simple two-pane "xfe" file browser apparently solved it for at least one person, or you could copy with "cp" in a terminal.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
Mint 19.1 Xfce/fluxbox
Manjaro openbox/fluxbox

Hoser Rob
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Hoser Rob » Thu May 24, 2018 11:12 am

Flemur wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 10:45 am
Twoflower wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 9:56 am
Mint Cinnamon 18.3
That problem shows up here fairly often - and it's usually, if not almost always, Cinnamon/nemo.
Using the simple two-pane "xfe" file browser apparently solved it for at least one person, or you could copy with "cp" in a terminal.
That;s not cool.

yertchuk
Level 1
Level 1

Post by yertchuk » Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:31 pm

I have the same problem. However, xfe works very well, and is a good workaround. It's a shame that a workaround is needed at all for such a basic function.

The xfe app is in the repository.

yertchuk
Level 1
Level 1

Post by yertchuk » Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:42 pm

Also, I should have mentioned: this is on Mint 19 Cinnamon.

Return to “Newbie Questions”