Gnome: How do I increase the size of the grabbable area that allows me to resize the windows?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
mrodent
Level 2
Level 2

Gnome: How do I increase the size of the grabbable area that allows me to resize the windows?

Post by mrodent » Fri May 25, 2018 2:48 am

this question from 2016 is about KDE... may be the reason why I don't see "Application Style" under System Settings --> Appearance. Or could be that things have changed.

I've managed to make the vertical scrollbars wider by fiddling with the files under usr/share/themes/Mint-X/gtk-* ... but I can't find how to make the "grabbable areas" for changing window size bigger.

PS: why are there two "types" of gtk (2 and 3)? Do certain components use one and others the other? How would I know which components are 2 and which are 3?

sevendogs
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Gnome: How do I increase the size of the grabbable area that allows me to resize the windows?

Post by sevendogs » Fri May 25, 2018 10:23 am

Are you attempting to resize a window in Gnome but having trouble clicking on the grab handle because it is thin?

Instead of that, I do this: all DEs and WMs, except Gnome, will allow you to hold the alt key and right mouse button and resize. You can do this at any point in the window and don't need to grab the resize handle or window border. To make this active in Gnome, run this in a terminal:

Code: Select all

gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.wm.preferences resize-with-right-button true
HP z800 2x6 core Xeon, 96 GB DDR3 5.5TB SSD, Evga 1050Ti 4GB, Mint 18.2 Cinnamon
"Give a man a truth and he will think for a day. Teach a man to reason and he will think for a lifetime"

AZgl1500
Level 7
Level 7
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plains

Re: Gnome: How do I increase the size of the grabbable area that allows me to resize the windows?

Post by AZgl1500 » Fri May 25, 2018 12:03 pm

@Schultz shows us how

viewtopic.php?f=206&t=265533#p1442526

I have mine set to 1/4 inch on the screen now

mrodent
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mrodent » Fri May 25, 2018 12:56 pm

@sevendogs neat, thanks. And the left button to move.

@AZgl1500 That's the thing I have managed to do on my own, as I said. In fact I found out what to do from that very thread. I was asking for something different.

Return to “Newbie Questions”