Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia freezes

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Chadley B
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia freezes

Post by Chadley B » Fri May 25, 2018 7:00 am

Hey Users,
I've had Linux mint before on an older Asus notebook with a dual boot option alongside windows 8.1, never had a problem.
Since, I've bought a new laptop, ASUS F555B series. Ever since following Foss's tutorial to partition the disk drives and dual boot alongside Windows 10 again, Linux has been unsuccessful to run for longer than 10 mins before it freezes, I've had some time before it happens to install some updates, drivers, and missing Codecs etc.
There is also a problem with the internet, Firefox has been totally slow and often didn't open pages either, have tried to update it, drop the firewall etc even went into the v6 to do with the IP settings -still all painful and slow.
I've read it is to do with the graphics cards on these newer machines and or something else?
Any info and steps to get this sorted out would be gold...It's been a few days on it...reinstalled from a live CD session twice again, and have used the recovery mode often - still it all freezes even before 10 minutes now. Would a hard disk recovery Ubuntu CD do much help in seeing if the disk is damaged too?
Thanks
Chad

deepakdeshp
Level 11
Level 11

Re: Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia freezes

Post by deepakdeshp » Fri May 25, 2018 12:29 pm

Please paste output of command
  • inxi -Fxz
here.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
I am using Mint 19 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A8/7410 processor . Memory 8GB

JR86
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia freezes

Post by JR86 » Sun May 27, 2018 8:37 pm

I encountered similar issues that were caused by customising themes and icons. It could be a bug here if you have changed these. Restore the desktop theme and icons to default, solved the issue for me.

Return to “Newbie Questions”