[Solved] Clonezilla will not clone partition

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
kologha
Level 1
Level 1

[Solved] Clonezilla will not clone partition

Post by kologha » Fri May 25, 2018 10:36 am

I recently asked for and obtained advice on how to access a partition I had created using GParted. The partition (RRG Documents) works perfectly as far as I am concerned, in that I can access and modify all the files (110GB) which I copied into it. Clonezilla however thinks otherwise and skips this partition when I clone the HDD for backup purposes, but clones the other two partitions which contain Windows XP and Linux Mint respectively. The partition is on a WD 1TB HDD and I am attempting to clone it to a WD My Passport 1TB portable drive and a WD Elements 1TB drive. Clonezilla says that the target is too small (source is 1000.2GB & the targets are both 1000.1GB so I use Expert icds in Clonezilla which should then skip checking the size of the target drive). The messages I get from Clonezilla are: Target partition size is smaller than source, use option -C to disable size check (dangerous), also, unknown or unsupported partition found (skip), also, disk contains an unclean file system. I think the whole disk is NTFS but XP can't see it anyway as I believe that XP can't read 1TB disks(?). Can I change the problem partition to a Linux partition and if so how? Thank you.
Last edited by kologha on Mon May 28, 2018 3:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Spearmint2
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Clonezilla will not clone partition

Post by Spearmint2 » Fri May 25, 2018 11:30 am

Oh, this is an easy one. Boot to your linux DVD. Open GParted. Shrink the partition you want to add as backup down to near the actual data size, but leave some extra room, just in case. Now you can use GParted to copy/paste the entire partition to your backup media.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....

kologha
Level 1
Level 1

Post by kologha » Fri May 25, 2018 12:22 pm

Hi Spearmint2, thanks for your advice, but it sounds like an awful schlep to do that every week whenever I wish to backup my HDD. The partition in question which is 460GB big, is where all my personal data (videos, photographs, images and all other documents) are saved so the quantity of data in it is gradually growing larger. I would like to know what I can do to it to get Clonezilla to clone it without having to resort to work around's. For example, it currently has 110GB of data, but in a few months time it may have 150GB of data. Will Clonezilla clone it if it's only 100GB big? Perhaps I should create a few small partitions for my data instead of one big one?

Flemur
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Flemur » Fri May 25, 2018 12:51 pm

kologha wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 12:22 pm
The partition in question which is 460GB big, is where all my personal data (videos, photographs, images and all other documents) are saved so the quantity of data in it is gradually growing larger. I would like to know what I can do to it to get Clonezilla to clone it without having to resort to work around's.
Don't use clonezilla, it's not really made for that purpose because there's no reason to copy an entire partition for those file types.

Even just a "cp" of all the files on the partition makes more sense than using clonezilla.

The best bet is probably to rsync with the grsync GUI for incremental backups.

Edit:
The messages I get from Clonezilla are: ...
unknown or unsupported partition found (skip), also,
disk contains an unclean file system.
The first error (size) is just a clonezilla problem, but You might want to fix those two errors!
I think the whole disk is NTFS but XP can't see it anyway as I believe that XP can't read 1TB disks(?).
Run

Code: Select all

sudo blkid 
to find out what kind of partition it is. it can matter.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
Mint 18.3 Xfce/fluxbox/pulse-less
Xubuntu 17.10/fluxbox/pulse-less

Spearmint2
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Spearmint2 » Fri May 25, 2018 1:23 pm

kologha wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 12:22 pm
Hi Spearmint2, thanks for your advice, but it sounds like an awful schlep to do that every week whenever I wish to backup my HDD. The partition in question which is 460GB big, is where all my personal data (videos, photographs, images and all other documents) are saved so the quantity of data in it is gradually growing larger. I would like to know what I can do to it to get Clonezilla to clone it without having to resort to work around's. For example, it currently has 110GB of data, but in a few months time it may have 150GB of data. Will Clonezilla clone it if it's only 100GB big? Perhaps I should create a few small partitions for my data instead of one big one?
It's not that hard to shrink it, clone the smaller size partition to a backup, then expand the data partition back to it's normal overly large size. I don't use Clonezilla since I have GParted and it does basically the same thing, both copy partitions and drives to another media device, so maybe someone who uses Clonezilla can answer those questions.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....

kologha
Level 1
Level 1

Post by kologha » Fri May 25, 2018 2:38 pm

The messages I get from Clonezilla are: ...
unknown or unsupported partition found (skip), also,
disk contains an unclean file system

Running 'sudo blkid' tells me that only the partition which has WinXp is NTFS, the other two partitions including the problematic one are both Ext 4. How do I go about 'cleaning' a file system?

Spearmint2
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Spearmint2 » Fri May 25, 2018 2:43 pm

to clean a file system, run fsck or e2fsck on it with appropriate switches. For instance;

Code: Select all

e2fsck -fpcv /dev/sda
You can boot a LIVE DVD and choose recovery mode, or if available when you boot the system, use that recovery section also.

bjmh46
Level 3
Level 3

Post by bjmh46 » Sat May 26, 2018 6:26 am

If your ntfs partition is not "clean" Clonezilla will fail every time. Unfortunately, the Linux solutions for ntfs check have proven somewhat unreliable for me. The best solution I've found--and 100% effective, has been to use Hirens boot cd. Boot into mini xp, and run checkdisk on the offending partition. If you have Hirens on a usb stick, this takes about 2 minutes.
That said, I think incremental backups using Grsync makes a lot of sense, once the backup is created either by Clonezilla or simply copying. Be careful using Grsync, best to read up on it first!

kologha
Level 1
Level 1

Post by kologha » Mon May 28, 2018 3:39 am

Thanks to everyone for your support and advice. I cleaned the file with e2fsck (thanks Spearmint2) and reduced the partition from 460gb to 400 and Clonezilla worked without a hitch! Thanks again!

Return to “Newbie Questions”