Can't move folder

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
kjomara1

Can't move folder

Post by kjomara1 »

I am a GUI only user. I an trying to move a folder containing an unpacked java install from download folder to a java folder that I created in the usr folder. When I try to drag and drop it, i get a permission denied message. I've tried to change the permissions on the program folder to no avail. When I look at the java folder properties it says it is owned by root. Think that is why I can't move anything into it. Can anyone please explain in Kindergarten language how I get this java app. into the java folder? Or what else I'm doing wrong. I'm trying to install java, but it comes as a .tar file. These .tar files have always stumped me. I try to avoid them and use .deb files so the installer can do the dirty work for me. Or is there an installer for .tar files that I don't know about. As you can see, I'm just a casual user. Thank you.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Mattyboy

Re: Can't move folder

Post by Mattyboy »

Time to open that terminal.

Code: Select all

sudo mv <source> <destination> 
You can just drag the <source> <destination> folders into the terminal ( with a space between each ) after sudo mv.

Tar files are just 'zip' files you need to extract them.. in this case extract to the <destination> folder or just move it ( mv ) after extraction.

More info. https://www.howtogeek.com/248780/how-to ... -on-linux/

https://www.computerhope.com/unix/umv.htm
chazb
Level 5
Level 5

Post by chazb »

It has been my experience, not to create system files, maybe create a folder on the desktop to put pictures in, but that's about it. Besides why would want to install a JAVA download to a folder you created, when you can do the install from downloads? And the install will create it own folder in the Home Directory. Plus I believe you can do this graphically. I know you find the Terminal intimidating, but if you are going to use Linux, you really need to use the command line.
HaveaMint
Level 6
Level 6

Post by HaveaMint »

You really shouldn't manually install anything in root unless the installer itself does so, in which case it will prompt you for SU password to make sure you want to. When I extract a archived file I create a sub-folder in downloads and extract it to there. Did you try software manager to install Java? Software manager is your best bet for installing most all software.
If you insist on doing it all yourself you can right click on /Downloads and select "Open as Root" which will put you in SU mode, but you can sure do a lot of damage as SU so be very carefull.
"Tune for maximum Smoke and then read the Instructions".
kjomara1

Post by kjomara1 »

Thank you for your reply, I just want to install it as easy as possible. Software Manager only installs .deb files. Java only comes in a .tar file. I locate the readme install instructions and they lead me into this mess. I'm not trying to do anything but install Java. I can't for the life of me seem to get a grasp on this .tar thing. The instructions only manage to confuse the heck out of me hence my post for help.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

From where did you get the Java download?

Edit: are these the instructions you're using:

https://www.wikihow.com/Install-Java-on-Linux

Try using Software Manager.

Look for default-jre

Install that. It'll probably say that it needs to install some dependencies. Click OK to install those too.

Then activate Java in your browser.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi kjomara1,

It would help to know more about your system setup like which edition and version of Linux Mint you are using. If you run "inxi -Fxzd" from the console terminal prompt, highlight the results, copy and paste them back here, that should provide enough information.

Why do you want to move a Java application to a system folder? You do not need to do that. I have a lot of Java apps I just copied into in my "apps" folder that I created underneath my home folder and I run from there and create shortcuts there.

Some instructions claim they want you to move their software folders to the "/opt" (options) root folder, but that is usually not necessary, and that would require opening your file manager as "root" (using your file manager, right-click the folder, and "open as root").

What is the Java application? The open source Java 8 (openJDK) runtime is already installed in Linux Mint usually. It is in the Software Manager or Synaptic Package Manager (SPM). But, you might need to install Oracle's Java runtime as well because some Java applications require one or the other Java runtime. I always install both Java runtimes.

Install Oracle Java 8 In Ubuntu Or Linux Mint Via PPA Repository [JDK8] ~ Web Upd8: Ubuntu / Linux blog
http://www.webupd8.org/2012/09/install- ... a-ppa.html

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & xKDE (Mint Xfce + Kubuntu KDE) & KDE Neon 64-bit (new based on Ubuntu 20.04) Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573) 2 in 1 touch screen, Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, Intel 4 Graphics.

Return to “Beginner Questions”