Chinese input woes

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
GS3
Level 4
Level 4

Chinese input woes

Post by GS3 » Sat May 26, 2018 6:34 am

A year ago I spent many hours trying to get Chinese input to work. My previous thread. I remember fumbling around in the dark, trying many things, asking in this forum, etc. Finally I thought I got it to work. Now my wife says to me "wait, I need to go to the Windows computer because I need to type in Chinese". Wait a minute! I thought it was working.

Well, after some investigating it turns out it works in some programs like LibreOffice, TextEditor and StickyNotes but it does not work in others like Firefox and Notepad.

So I figured out a workaround which is to type Chinese in TextEditor and the copy-paste to Firefox. This is less than ideal, to say the least.

So, the question is why would the Chinese input work in one program but not others?

Now, you will ask me what input package I am using and the answer is that I am quite confucious myself. The icon on the tray says SunPinyin so chances are that is what is being used. I would be pretty sure.

On the other hand in the language input method I have the choices Fcitx and ibus. I believe SunPinyin is part of Fcitx? I am totally lost here. When I installed all this I fumbled around so much just trying different things that in the end I had no idea what I had done to get it to work.

I have installed the Mozilla Chinese Simplified Add-on but still nothing happens.

What do I need to do to get Chinese input to work in Firefox and other programs?
HP Compaq Elite 8300 CMT - Linux Mint 18.2 Sonya - Kernel 4.4.0-138-generic X64 - Cinnamon 3.4.4 - Nemo

GS3
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Chinese input woes

Post by GS3 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:25 pm

I am bumping this because I am still looking for a solution to this problem.
HP Compaq Elite 8300 CMT - Linux Mint 18.2 Sonya - Kernel 4.4.0-138-generic X64 - Cinnamon 3.4.4 - Nemo

Return to “Newbie Questions”