Installing VirtualBox

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
GS3
Level 8
Level 8

Installing VirtualBox

Post by GS3 »

After over a year of trying to transition to Linux mint it is becoming clear to me that I still depend on Windows programs more than anything else. I have a few very simple and useful Windows programs which run well with WINE. It seems these simple programs which do not require any installation in Windows work well in WINE.

More complex programs which require a complex installation in Windows seem to run badly or not at all with WINE so I am looking into the possibility of installing Virtualbox and running Windows in it.

What do I need to know before I get started?

If I go to the VirtualBox download page I see versions for different versions of Debian and Ubuntu. Can't I just use the software manager?

I am running Linux Mint 18.2 Sonya - Kernel 4.4.0-116-generic X64 - Cinnamon 3.4.4 - Nemo
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Please do not use animated GIFs in avatars because many of us find them distracting and obnoxious. Thank you.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Installing VirtualBox

Post by Pierre »

like you, there was / is a small collection of windows based programs,
that I'd really like to keep on using, so therefore I've found a workable solution ( for me, anyway )
in order to continue to use those windows based programs.
& in one case, I'd gotten quite involved in getting that particular program to work under ./wine.
8)

for myself, using a VirtualBox is more of an convenience, more than anything else,
since I've now got most of those windows based programs, stored in a ./wine bottle, for backup reasons,
and to enable them to be run on a few machines, mainly, again for my convenience.
:(

in order to get the Oracle version of VirtualBox working, on an newly installed system,
what I'll typically do, is to get the version of VirtualBox that is for the last LTS version of Ubuntu
and install that version onto my newly installed LinuxMint system.
- - most folks would suggest to *not* use the version in the Software manager, as that version is a bit too old.
rather than the last available version of VirtualBox & which would work ok, too.

if I've installed Debian based system as the newly installed system,
then it gets a bit trickier, as you then need to select the correct VirtualBox for that system,
and in some cases, I've got that wrong & had to download another version & see if that install ok.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

GS3 wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 8:45 amMore complex programs which require a complex installation in Windows seem to run badly or not at all with WINE so I am looking into the possibility of installing Virtualbox and running Windows in it.
That depends on the program. I run Photoshop and Audition under wine, neither are trivial programs and both work great (P-shop used to require v-box until wine 3.0). Check the "wine application database" before you give up on a program you want to run under wine.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
GS3
Level 8
Level 8

Post by GS3 »

Well, I am looking for help in installing VirtualBox and do not want to sidetrack this thread too much but I guess I can review my software needs as I transition to Linux.

Linux native Text Editor and Calculator work fine for me.

Firefox, Google Earth, Teamviewer, Filezilla, Audacity also work well under Linux.

Although I still mainly use MS-Office I have LibreOffice installed and it looks like it could work for me under Linux.

On the other hand I just love Irfanview as a graphics viewer and it does not have a Linux version. I can run it under WINE but it is a bit of a pain because if I double click on a graphics file it does not open in Irfanview-Wine. What I do is open Irfanview-Wine and then drag and drop the file in it but it is much less convenient. I really wish there was a native Linux Irfanview.

In Windows I have Cool Edit and Cool Edit 2 which I believe are precursors of Audition. I have not tried them under WINE but it seems like a good thing to try.

For photo retouching I still use Photodeluxe, a program so old and unsupported that I might as well learn something new but I have not decided. I understand PhotoShop is not free and might be too complex anyway but I would like to have a few basic tools. I have GIMP but I do not know its capabilities.

I have tried running Outlook Express under WINE but it does not go. Neither does Sketchup 8. These are two programs I would *really* like to have in Linux.

I would also like to run PGP 8 and I seem to recall it does not run under WINE which is not surprising. The basic encrypt and decrypt files might be expected to work but the more complex virtual disk I would not expect it to work.

In summary: For starters I would like to run Outlook Express, PGP8 and Sketchup8.
Please do not use animated GIFs in avatars because many of us find them distracting and obnoxious. Thank you.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

Which version of Windows do you want to run?

The reason I ask is that Windows 8 and 10 OEM licenses are 'attached' to your system when they get activated, and can't be used on another machine, even if it's a virtual machine.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

A VM is really better ... Wine is actually quite unreliable and you can't expect anything that's working now to continue doing so for very long.

You can definitely just use the software manager ... there are exceptions but the repo version is usually fine and other sources may not work and installing them may break stuff.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi GS3,

How to install Windows in VirtualBox - Easy Linux tips project (great website)
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinux ... ct/oldgrub

The biggest problems I see with new Linux users is that they do not take the time to find or ask about Linux applications to replace the ones they used in other systems that are not available in Linux, and then to learn them.
GS3 wrote:On the other hand I just love Irfanview as a graphics viewer and it does not have a Linux version. I can run it under WINE but it is a bit of a pain because if I double click on a graphics file it does not open in Irfanview-Wine. What I do is open Irfanview-Wine and then drag and drop the file in it but it is much less convenient. I really wish there was a native Linux Irfanview.
You might consider trying the excellent "XnViewMP" as an alternative to "irfanview". There are many image viewers, editors, etc...

XnViewMP · Multi-Platform Photo Viewer, Image Resizer and Batch Converter
- scroll down to Linux deb file 64-bit or 32-bit, save file and double-click to install it.
https://www.xnview.com/en/xnviewmp/

GS3 wrote:In Windows I have Cool Edit and Cool Edit 2 which I believe are precursors of Audition. I have not tried them under WINE but it seems like a good thing to try.
14 Best DAWs for Linux as of 2018 - Slant
https://www.slant.co/topics/6067/~daws-for-linux

10 snazzy music production tools for Ubuntu
http://www.techdrivein.com/2014/02/10-m ... linux.html
GS3 wrote:For photo retouching I still use Photodeluxe, a program so old and unsupported that I might as well learn something new but I have not decided. I understand PhotoShop is not free and might be too complex anyway but I would like to have a few basic tools. I have GIMP but I do not know its capabilities.
There are many excellent image editors for Linux and or online. There are also many posts on this topic. Gimp is one of them. There are many good video tutorials for almost any software including Gimp on YouTube.
GS3 wrote:I have tried running Outlook Express under WINE but it does not go. Neither does Sketchup 8. These are two programs I would *really* like to have in Linux.
Rather than trying to continue to use Outlook or Outlook Express, I would highly recommend using a different email client or a web interface for email. Thunderbird with Enigmail, Evolution, etc...

Sketchup supposedly works under Wine and Play On Linux (POL)

Sketchup Alternatives for Linux - AlternativeTo.net
https://alternativeto.net/software/goog ... form=linux
GS3 wrote:I would also like to run PGP 8 and I seem to recall it does not run under WINE which is not surprising. The basic encrypt and decrypt files might be expected to work but the more complex virtual disk I would not expect it to work.
There are encryption applications you can install, "GPA", Seahorse (Passwords and Keys in your menu), Kgpg, Kleopatra, etc...

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & xKDE (Mint Xfce + Kubuntu KDE) & KDE Neon 64-bit (new based on Ubuntu 20.04) Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573) 2 in 1 touch screen, Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, Intel 4 Graphics.
GS3
Level 8
Level 8

Post by GS3 »

JerryF wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 11:10 am Which version of Windows do you want to run?

The reason I ask is that Windows 8 and 10 OEM licenses are 'attached' to your system when they get activated, and can't be used on another machine, even if it's a virtual machine.
I had not thought of this aspect. Probably I would run Win XP SP3 so I can keep on running the software I am using but if I need to get a Win XP license then I can forget the whole idea.
GS3
Level 8
Level 8

Post by GS3 »

phd21 wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 11:37 am How to install Windows in VirtualBox - Easy Linux tips project (great website)
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinux ... ct/oldgrub
Thanks phd21. So I do

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install virtualbox virtualbox-qt virtualbox-ext-pack
and the software manager knows I want VirtualBox for Linux 64 bits with leather seats and sunroof?
phd21 wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 11:37 am The biggest problems I see with new Linux users is that they do not take the time to find or ask about Linux applications to replace the ones they used in other systems that are not available in Linux, and then to learn them.
The biggest problem I have with old Linux users is that they do not seem to understand that to most people a computer is just a tool to get things done and they are looking for user-friendly, easy to use software and not complicated software which requires esoteric line commands and the memorization of arcane switches. I think this is the reason Linux has such a small installed base. It is just too complicated and has too many glitches.

I assume there might be some wonderful Linux applications out there but I am not about to embark in hours and hours of investigating and learning because it is just not worth my while. I already spend with Linux more than most people are willing. I am happy to see some programs like Firefox and Google Earth have Linux versions but telling me to just learn all new software is not an answer that is useful to me because if that is the only solution then I just give up and not do whatever I was trying to do. Installing, running and maintaining just the OS is enough chore.

It is like requiring customers at a Chinese restaurant to communicate in Chinese. Yes, I guess you could do it but most people would rather eat "English cuisine" rather than have to learn a foreign language. And it does not help if a Chinese person tells me to just do it because he finds it so easy.
phd21 wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 11:37 am You might consider trying the excellent "XnViewMP" as an alternative to "irfanview". There are many image viewers, editors, etc...

XnViewMP · Multi-Platform Photo Viewer, Image Resizer and Batch Converter
- scroll down to Linux deb file 64-bit or 32-bit, save file and double-click to install it.
https://www.xnview.com/en/xnviewmp/
Thanks, I'll have a look at it but it has to be very similar to Irfanview or I will prefer to just use Irfanview under WINE as I am doing until now.
phd21 wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 11:37 am 14 Best DAWs for Linux as of 2018 - Slant
https://www.slant.co/topics/6067/~daws-for-linux

10 snazzy music production tools for Ubuntu
http://www.techdrivein.com/2014/02/10-m ... linux.html
Thanks again. I will have a look but, again, I am not willing to spend a lot of effort in learning software I seldomly use when I can just use what I am familiar with in Windows.
phd21 wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 11:37 am There are many excellent image editors for Linux and or online. There are also many posts on this topic. Gimp is one of them. There are many good video tutorials for almost any software including Gimp on YouTube.
I already have GIMP installed and will need to see what it does. This is one app where I am willing to put a bit more effort or maybe I should say this is higher up on the list. But I am lazy and I just keep using PhotoDeluxe because I only use it a few times a year and it would require quite a few hours to learn a new app.
phd21 wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 11:37 am Rather than trying to continue to use Outlook or Outlook Express, I would highly recommend using a different email client or a web interface for email. Thunderbird with Enigmail, Evolution, etc...
I have twenty years worth of emails in Outlook Express and it works very well for me. My idea was to set up a separate email account to use with Thunderbird and start using it in parallel. I tried Thunderbird and soon gave up in disgust when I could not do something quite simple, I forget what.
phd21 wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 11:37 am Sketchup supposedly works under Wine and Play On Linux (POL)
That would be very good news for me. Very good. But I remember trying it and it would not go and I did not see anyone online saying it worked for them. I will try again.

E.T.A: This page says it does not run under WINE and he kind of got it to run under PlayonLinux with some difficulty. I think I'll give it a pass.
phd21 wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 11:37 am Sketchup Alternatives for Linux - AlternativeTo.net
Thanks but just from the comments there I see there it seems they are not really direct replacements.
phd21 wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 11:37 am There are encryption applications you can install, "GPA", Seahorse (Passwords and Keys in your menu), Kgpg, Kleopatra, etc...
I had a look at GPA and it sounds like something I could try. Do I just download it using the software manager? The site says
The GNU Privacy Assistant (GPA) is a graphical user interface for the GnuPG (GNU Privacy Guard) that utilizes GTK+ (the GIMP Tool Kit) and compiles for various platforms.
Do I need to install something else first? This does seem like something interesting that I could get going. I am guessing it only has capabilities for encrypting and decrypting text and files but no virtual disks like PGP8 has. I will have to check it out but I guess even if it is so then it is better than nothing.

E.T.A: I tried to install GPA but it seems it is already installed. I typed "gpa"and it started up. I got an error.
The GPGME library returned an unexpected error at gpagenkeyadvop.c.199. The error was "General Error". This is either an installation problem or a bug in GPA. GPA will try to recover.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

GS3 wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 12:57 pm they are looking for user-friendly, easy to use software and not complicated software which requires esoteric line commands and the memorization of arcane switches.
I have no clue what you are talking about. Two years ago, a brother and a sister of mine asked me to install Linux on their computers, which I did. I have got exactly ONE support call from each of them. Yesterday I stopped into the local and organic food store in town to talk with the owner. Six or eight months ago, her boyfriend installed Mint on her store computer, and she told me she was going to rely on me to be her Linux support person. When I was in the store yesterday, I asked her if she was keeping Mint up to date, and if she'd had any problems. She said that it was easy to use, and that if somebody had switched her computer to Linux and not told her about it, she probably wouldn't have even noticed. Yesterday a relative newcomer to Mint posted this on the forums: "Gaddd... everything is so much less hassle with Linux. I'm a total convert." I think a lot of people convince themselves that Linux is hard to use. It isn't. It is rare that the average Linux user needs to use the command line. About the only time you'll need it is if you have a problem, somebody might want you to enter inxi -Fxz to learn a little about your system. So don't psych yourself out about that stuff. If you have problems, ask about them, preferably one per thread, in the appropriate forums section. If you need Linux equivalents for software you are used to, ask in the forums, again, preferably one per thread. In short order you will have solutions to all the problems you have, and will have replacements for all the Windows programs you're used to. And you will be glad you are using Linux!
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi "GS3",
GS3 wrote:So I do

sudo apt-get install virtualbox virtualbox-qt virtualbox-ext-pack
and the software manager knows I want VirtualBox for Linux 64 bits with leather seats and sunroof?

Yes, the instructions from the link are the easiest ways to install Virtualbox that I know of.
phd21 wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 11:37 am The biggest problems I see with new Linux users is that they do not take the time to find or ask about Linux applications to replace the ones they used in other systems that are not available in Linux, and then to learn them.

GS3 wrote:The biggest problem I have with old Linux users is that they do not seem to understand that to most people a computer is just a tool to get things done and they are looking for user-friendly, easy to use software and not complicated software which requires esoteric line commands and the memorization of arcane switches. I think this is the reason Linux has such a small installed base. It is just too complicated and has too many glitches.

I have been using Linux and Linux Mint since 2013 although I tried Ubuntu before that. If I am not mistaken, Linux and Linux Mint are the 3rd and 4th most used operating systems in the world and have millions of users and the user base is increasing all the time. I agree that the computer and the installed software are "tools". It is not necessary to know or use a lot of console terminal commands, although it certainly does help to know some of them. It is up to the software developers not Linux or Linux Mint (unless it is their software) to make the software as "user-friendly" as it can be. Some software by its very nature is going to be more complicated than other software because of all the options it could have.
GS3 wrote:I assume there might be some wonderful Linux applications out there but I am not about to embark in hours and hours of investigating and learning because it is just not worth my while. I already spend with Linux more than most people are willing. I am happy to see some programs like Firefox and Google Earth have Linux versions but telling me to just learn all new software is not an answer that is useful to me because if that is the only solution then I just give up and not do whatever I was trying to do. Installing, running and maintaining just the OS is enough chore.

It is like requiring customers at a Chinese restaurant to communicate in Chinese. Yes, I guess you could do it but most people would rather eat "English cuisine" rather than have to learn a foreign language. And it does not help if a Chinese person tells me to just do it because he finds it so easy.

All users of any computer operating system and the installed software had to take time to learn it. You had to take time at some point to learn MS Windows and any software you used in it. The same thing applies with Linux Mint and just like with MS Windows, once you know how to use the software the learning curve is over and you become more efficient and productive; this will not take long. As an example, if you know how to use an image editor in any operating system, then you should already know how to use one in Linux Mint, you just have to learn how the same functions are done in the Linux software.
phd21 wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 11:37 am You might consider trying the excellent "XnViewMP" as an alternative to "irfanview". There are many image viewers, editors, etc...

GS3 wrote:Thanks, I'll have a look at it but it has to be very similar to Irfanview or I will prefer to just use Irfanview under WINE as I am doing until now.
Install it and try it for yourself. XnViewMP is very user configurable.
GS3 wrote:Thanks again. I will have a look but, again, I am not willing to spend a lot of effort in learning software I seldomly use when I can just use what I am familiar with in Windows.

phd21 wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 11:37 am There are many excellent image editors for Linux and or online. There are also many posts on this topic. Gimp is one of them. There are many good video tutorials for almost any software including Gimp on YouTube.

GS3 wrote:I already have GIMP installed and will need to see what it does. This is one app where I am willing to put a bit more effort or maybe I should say this is higher up on the list. But I am lazy and I just keep using PhotoDeluxe because I only use it a few times a year and it would require quite a few hours to learn a new app.

There are various software applications for doing various tasks and some fit into categories like advanced (usually more difficult to use) (Gimp, DigiKam, Lightzone, Inkscape, Blender, etc..), medium complexity and capabilities, or easy more basic applications to use (Kolourpaint4, Pinta, MyPaint, etc...). Gimp is a more advanced image editor, but some tasks are simple to do in a lot of these applications, once you know how to do it. If you search YouTube for whatever image editing task you are looking for, like Gimp photo enhancement or Gimp photo touch up, you will find a lot of tutorials.
Gimp photo touch up - Google Search
https://www.google.com/search?source=hp ... FFJERxOINs
phd21 wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 11:37 am Rather than trying to continue to use Outlook or Outlook Express, I would highly recommend using a different email client or a web interface for email. Thunderbird with Enigmail, Evolution, etc...

GS3 wrote:I have twenty years worth of emails in Outlook Express and it works very well for me. My idea was to set up a separate email account to use with Thunderbird and start using it in parallel. I tried Thunderbird and soon gave up in disgust when I could not do something quite simple, I forget what.

You could export or import your ".pst" files from Outlook into Thunderbird (TB) or other email clients. It would help to know what "simple" task you were trying to do in TB?
phd21 wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 11:37 am Sketchup supposedly works under Wine and Play On Linux (POL)

Sketchup running on Ubuntu 16.04 - Tutorial
https://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/ske ... xerus.html

Installing Sketchup on Linux - YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2wSXfnxMf0

How to Install SketchUp Make 2016 on Ubuntu, Linux Mint | Linux Hint
https://linuxhint.com/install-sketchup- ... -on-linux/
GS3 wrote:That would be very good news for me. Very good. But I remember trying it and it would not go and I did not see anyone online saying it worked for them. I will try again.

phd21 wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 11:37 am Sketchup Alternatives for Linux - AlternativeTo.net

GS3 wrote:Thanks but just from the comments there I see there it seems they are not really direct replacements.
phd21 wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 11:37 am There are encryption applications you can install, "GPA", Seahorse (Passwords and Keys in your menu), Kgpg, Kleopatra, etc...

I know that "gunupg" is already installed in all Linux Mint editions, but you might want to install "gunpg2" and "gpgv2" as well (if they are not already installed). I have no problems installing or running "GPA".
GS3 wrote:I had a look at GPA and it sounds like something I could try. Do I just download it using the software manager? Do I need to install something else first? This does seem like something interesting that I could get going. I am guessing it only has capabilities for encrypting and decrypting text and files but no virtual disks like PGP8 has. I will have to check it out but I guess even if it is so then it is better than nothing.

E.T.A: I tried to install GPA but it seems it is already installed. I typed "gpa"and it started up. I got an error. Maybe I need to run as root. I am playing around with it. Can gpa and gpg use pgp keys?
Yes, you install these from the Software Manager or Synaptic Package Manager (SPM). I prefer using the "Synaptic Package Manager (SPM)" because I can right-click applications to see if there are any recommended or suggested packages that I can also install.

You can encrypt or decrypt any files with GPA (GPG/PGP encryption), as far as I know, but text files are the most common use.

If you run into an error, it is imperative that you tell us exactly what the error is.

Encrypting Drives (and or partitions) and or encrypting Home folders can be done within Linux Mint during the installation and afterward. There are various applications and techniques for setting up and encrypting folders and files; "VeraCrypt" is a superb application for this. There are also many posts in this forum on encryption.

Hope this helps ...
Last edited by phd21 on Sat May 26, 2018 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & xKDE (Mint Xfce + Kubuntu KDE) & KDE Neon 64-bit (new based on Ubuntu 20.04) Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573) 2 in 1 touch screen, Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, Intel 4 Graphics.
GS3
Level 8
Level 8

Post by GS3 »

phd21 wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 2:25 pm If you run into an error, it is imperative that you tell us exactly what the error is.
Yeah, sorry about that. I have a policy of not editing my posts after someone else has posted to the same thread but I see I edited my post to include the error while you were probably composing your next post. Sorry about that . The error is
The GPGME library returned an unexpected error at gpagenkeyadvop.c.199. The error was "General Error". This is either an installation problem or a bug in GPA. GPA will try to recover.
GPA seems like something interesting if I can get around that error.

At any rate and to refocus this thread, I think I will not install VirtualBox until I can confirm I can run Win XP SP3 and do not need to get a new license for it.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

HI GS3

The GPGME library should have been installed with your system and or when installing GPA? Go into the "Synaptic Package Manager (SPM)", search for "gpgme", and install or select to reinstall "gpgsm", "libgpgme11", "libgpgmepp6", "python-gpgme", "python3-gpgme" ... Did you try to install something for GPG/PGP from outside of the Software Manager or Synaptic Package Manager (SPM)? Restart afterward ...

FYI: Read the link more carefully on installing Virtualbox and MS Windows... It is much easier and so much faster to use an existing MS Windows virtual machine file. If you have a retail license for any MS Windows version, then you should be able to use that code.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

GS3 wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 12:05 pm I had not thought of this aspect. Probably I would run Win XP SP3 so I can keep on running the software I am using but if I need to get a Win XP license then I can forget the whole idea.
With XP SP3, I think you'll be ok with the license. I do remember reading (from you in another post?) that you're in China and that XP is still being updated there. Is that correct?

Virtualbox version from Software Manager is version 5.1.34.
The latest stable version from their website is 5.2.12.

For running XP, the version from Software Manager would be fine.

Just an FYI: I have Windows 10 in a virtual machine so that I can use TurboTax and just a very few other apps that I like. I too feel the same way about 'alternatives in Linux'. There are some that I don't like and won't use---one of them being GIMP.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

HI GS3,

Just for the heck of it, I booted into my Cinnamon 18.3 system to install SketchUp using Wine 3 and PlayOnLinux, and it worked perfectly the first time. I had to launch it from within POL for it to work properly; after rebooting the desktop icon worked too.

Install current version of Wine and PlayOnLinux and SketchUp in Linux Mint 18.x, Linux Mint 17.x users can change the word "xenial" in the second command to "trusty" without quotes.
To install this using the "Add repository" method, open a console terminal, type in, or copy & paste, each line below one by one: Click "Select All" above command, right click the highlighted command, select Copy (or Ctrl+Insert), click in the console terminal window, and right click paste (or Shift+Insert), repeat for each command.

wget -nc https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/Release.key && sudo apt-key add Release.key

sudo apt-add-repository 'deb https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/ubuntu/ xenial main'

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install --install-recommends wine-staging winehq-stable

sudo apt-get install xterm xfonts-cyrillic playonlinux winetricks
* Then, I ran PlayOnLinux (POL) let it update itself, clicked install a program on left, searched for SketchUp, clicked that, clicked install, it installed some other stuff and then installed SketchUp 8 (used download option vs from file).
- Don't forget to try some of the Linux alternatives to SketchUp. What specifically do you use SketchUp for?

Is there a good SketchUp alternative to use on Linux? : linux4noobs
https://www.reddit.com/r/linux4noobs/co ... to_use_on/

I just read that "Blender" and this add-on makes Blender more like SketchUp
Blender Destructive Extrude, a better Push/Pull addon like in SketchUp - YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beZau_w ... e=youtu.be

Sketchup Alternatives for Linux - AlternativeTo.net

- Some people say to use "Audacity" as an alternative to "Cool Edit". This is in the Software Manager or Synaptic Package Manager (SPM).
App for advance Sound editing (Alternative to Cool Edit Pro) - Ask Ubuntu
https://askubuntu.com/questions/106626/ ... l-edit-pro

How to Install Audacity 2.2.0 via PPA in Ubuntu 17.10, 16.04 | UbuntuHandbook
http://ubuntuhandbook.org/index.php/201 ... ntu-17-10/

Hope this helps ...
SketchUp8-1.jpg
SketchUp8-2.jpg
Last edited by phd21 on Sat May 26, 2018 7:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.
GS3
Level 8
Level 8

Post by GS3 »

phd21 wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 4:54 pm I booted into my Cinnamon 18.3 system to install SketchUp using Wine 3 and PlayOnLinux, and it worked perfectly the first time. I had to launch it from within POL for it to work properly; after rebooting the desktop icon worked too.
Thanks, I will have to try it when I have some more time. I have Wine but I would need Playonlinux. I will need plenty of time.

I will get back to this thread and issue but I got sidetracked and have spend the last many hours bogged down with GPA and I still can't get it to work right so I am stating another thread on that topic and will get back to this one in due time.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi GS3,

1.) It took less than 10 minutes to install Wine, PlayOnLinux, and SketchUp.

2.) You can always try removing "GPA" completely (purge), then just re-install it. This can be done from the "Synaptic Package Manager (SPM)" or from the console terminal.

sudo apt purge gpa

sudo apt install gpa
2.b.) You can also try deleting the hidden ".gnupg" configuration folder assuming you have a backup of your GPG/PGP keys, or have not yet imported them or created them. Linux will recreate the folder when you run GPA again. Then, you can import or create new GPG/PGP key pairs. Deleting the hidden ".gnupg" folder can be done from your file manager (enable show hidden files) or from the console terminal.

sudo rm -r ~/.gnupg
Hope this helps ...
GS3
Level 8
Level 8

Post by GS3 »

phd21, I do appreciate your time and effort. It seems I had installed GPA about ten months ago and then abandoned it and forgot. Now I have tried it again and I am totally bogged down with it. I have started another thread about my problems with GPA.

Once I resolve the GPA problem (maybe by abandoning GPA again) I hope to try running Sketchup under WINE and installing Virtualbox. So I hope to return to this thread in due time.
GS3
Level 8
Level 8

Post by GS3 »

JerryF wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 4:21 pm I do remember reading (from you in another post?) that you're in China and that XP is still being updated there. Is that correct?
You are confusing me with someone else. In any case, I am pretty sure XP is not being updated in China or anywhere else.

Now that I think about it you may have got the wrong impression because (1) I am trying to get Chinese input to work in Linux for my wife and (2) I have said that I have reinstalled Win XP not to long ago and it updated correctly but you can do this from anywhere in the world and you get the updates that came out in their time; XP is not being maintained any more.

Or was it the avatar? :)
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

GS3 wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 4:15 am
JerryF wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 4:21 pm I do remember reading (from you in another post?) that you're in China and that XP is still being updated there. Is that correct?
You are confusing me with someone else. In any case, I am pretty sure XP is not being updated in China or anywhere else.

Now that I think about it you may have got the wrong impression because (1) I am trying to get Chinese input to work in Linux for my wife and (2) I have said that I have reinstalled Win XP not to long ago and it updated correctly but you can do this from anywhere in the world and you get the updates that came out in their time; XP is not being maintained any more.

Or was it the avatar? :)
A little bit of all you said.

Hope that you'll find a good solution for your needs!

Return to “Beginner Questions”