Linux Mint 18 after hibernate lost a charge and now cannot turn on.

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
vitaliifokine

Linux Mint 18 after hibernate lost a charge and now cannot turn on.

Post by vitaliifokine »

On Linux Mint 18 after press hibernate my computer lost a charge. Now cannot turn on. It's looks like death of laptop, no indicators, no signals, no BIOS. It's totaly black.
Please help me guys. I have a lot of family photos on this laptop.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MintBean

Re: Linux Mint 18 after hibernate lost a charge and now cannot turn on.

Post by MintBean »

Mint can't cause the issues you're seeing. Sounds like the system's got no power. You could try either buying a new battery, or removing the battery (in case it's shorting) and running off the adapter.

If you can't fix the machine, you can always remove the disc and read it with another computer.
Mute Ant

Re: Linux Mint 18 after hibernate lost a charge and now cannot turn on.

Post by Mute Ant »

It sounds like a simple hardware failure. Hard Drives and RAM seem to be the most robust parts of a machine, so you don't need to be extraordinarily lucky for the drive contents to be intact. I suggest...
o Get the unique drive out of the machine and treat it as read-only.
o Get the machine repaired plus a new drive, or fix it yourself, or get a new machine.
o Get a USB pod for the removed drive.
o Copy the podded drive data, read-only, into the new machine.
o Put the pod somewhere safe and off-site for a year. I use LSD Services (Little Sister in Derbyshire). Some banks will do this, with a little risk...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-21952717

Get a famous-name removable drive for routine daily backups and use it. It's around £40 for a 1TB pocket drive, this is not expensive.

DVD-R are pretty good for small batches of related files... The Wedding ... The Holiday. Whether you use them or not, they fade slowly over a period of around 10 years, instead of losing everything in one failure like electronic stores can do.

Return to “Beginner Questions”